Certain ways to resist temptations or am I just weak?

  • Thread starter Thread starter mphill85
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mphill85

Guest
For as long as I can remember I’ve dealt with temptations stemming from sex and lust. I have sinned more times than I can remember. Recently I thought I had a handle on resisting the temptations but I just fell flat on my face again after failing to resist those temptations.

I even had a prayer I made to try to help resist and avoid those temptations especially when they manifest in my thoughts and become intrusive and hard to stop thinking about.

Am I doing something wrong? I understand I’m fighting something that has been an addiction for years that when I was a teenager. But still I go for days/weeks without having to deal with the to desire for to view pornography that eventually leads to masturbation only to have one random moment or occasion where suddenly my defenses switch off and I end up lapsing back into my old ways. Even my prayer(s) don’t seem to have any effect.

I’m not sure what to do anymore. I go to confession as often as possible (for the above mentioned and un-mentioned sins) but even so I want to stop this problem.

What exactly do I have to do to stop sinning?
 
First, talk to your priest. Second, posting here about your sexual issues is in bad taste and some might find it offensive.
 
Try to stay busy as much as possible. You’re not likely to view pornography when you’re helping your neighbor with gardening, playing basketball with the kids on your street or cleaning out dog cages at an animal hospital/shelter. Perhaps volunteer at a church’s food bank or bake cookies for a widow from your church.

If that’s not enough for you, try to fast. Go about your day without drinking or eating anything, from sunrise to sunset. If you fast, you should also have a passionate prayer life, because fasting and prayer go together like peanut butter and jelly.
 
I can understand how disillusioning it would be to fall back into the same old sin,but it sounds like addiction and I would really suggest seeking professional help if you could be brave enough.There are some great websites for professional and catholic help .
All the best,and I will keep you in my prayers OP.
 
Some might ,but some want the very best for those struggling :pray:t2: It costs us nothing to be kind and charitable and to pray.How can we help if we don’t listen? All for Thee oh Sacred Heart of Jesus.
 
MP,

You have to desire God and seeing Him face to face, more than sinful things. You have to strengthen your will power so your mind an will can determine your actions.
 
St Paul compares our spiritual life to a marathon, we have to train in order to have endurance.

Think of things you have learned, maybe you are a runner - you did not start with a 5K, or you play guitar - you did not start shredding on day one, even riding a bike - you fell over many times before you could ride.

So, the problem is not in the fall, the glory is in getting back up, repenting.
 
I struggle with the same thing you are struggling with. Try to keep busy,when you feel a temptation coming on, try to substitute the porn with a hobby. I always like to say, “Jesus, I trust in you”. Don’t give up on praying and confession, doing that will make your temptations worse. I learned that the hard way. I know it’s frustrating to deal with this,for that I’m sorry. I am considering professional help and maybe you should too. God bless you,I will pray for you!
 
Staying busy is a great suggestion. I also struggled with something similar for years and then I quit cold turkey once I fully understood the nature of how this is grave sin and honestly quitting and staying that way was way less difficult than I thought it would be.
 
Last edited:
I typed this out on my phone at the start and wasn’t able to get everything across at the time.

Basically the cause of the problems isn’t exactly outright. For example if I was on the internet and a pop up from a random website shows pornography of any kind, it doesn’t tempt me or arouses me. It actually upsets me greatly and is sometimes followed by a thorough check of my browser settings and making a reminder about the website address to make sure I was aware of their ads/pop-ups. I have seen nudity in movies and TV shows (think Game of Thrones) and they don’t do anything to me. If some type of desire or temptation pops up and is really strong, like having the desire to immediately go straight to a adult website I can actually resist that.

The problems comes from the insidious and subtle impulses that start pushing for more. Think of watching a whirlpool in a bathtub when you’re draining the water and there is a bubble or something that gets caught in it. It slowly spins around slowly along the edges (and there has a chance in a way of getting free) and it moves towards the center moving in circles faster until it reaches the center and then plummets.

That’s what it feels like for me. Start off with something simple that might not be considered a sin and then eventually it starts become more and more until I reach that breaking point. At that point it feels like something takes over and l have no control. I have, literally, said out-loud “Stop” and yet feel so powerless because its like nothing in my body wanted to listen. I mean even my brain feels like its blanking out because I try to think of something Christian to try to break that hold and I can’t think of anything.
 
Last edited:
I’ve been in the middle of trying to quit cold turkey for a good while. I’ve actually read up on not only the spiritual dangers but the physical and psychological damages as well. That has helped me a lot. The problem comes from that missteps that are happening. I can happily say I am doing a lot better than I was years ago. What upsets me now is those random falls and those are what I’m trying to prevent. I’ve managed to put out a huge fire in my life. Now comes damage control and trying to keep the smoking and burning embers from becoming a new wildfire.
 
All of us struggle with sin – be it gossip, insensitivity,
bigotry. You name it. Our Christian life is an ongoing
journey to holiness.

Talk to your priest about this situation. Follow his
advice. I’m sure he’ll help you with this problem. May
we all thank God for his graces. May God bless you
in all things.

Prayer for the Virtue of Chastity

Jesus, Fortress of Humankind, bless us with Your
infinite graces, that we may remain in a state of purity.
Strengthen our bodies, spirits, and souls to continually
reflect Your chastity. Protect our souls in our daily
struggles, guiding us to ponder Your Godliness.
Defend us from the forces of evil, those that seek
to acquire our souls: We are truly Yours forever and
ever. Holy is our King, the Conqueror of Sin! Amen.
 
Try praying to Jesus to make you no longer feel this temptation. Ask Mother Mary and St. Joseph to help. If you feel it coming on, immediately call to them all for help and place the matter in Jesus’ hands.

Trying to resist temptation all by yourself is a losing battle. You cannot do it alone but you can do all things through God who strengthens you. And Mary and Joseph are always willing to help.
 
I had a prayer that I recited when I had those kinds of thoughts:

“In the name of my lord and savior Jesus Christ I command all you evil desires, temptations, and sinful thoughts to leave my head and to never return. In Jesus’s name, Amen”

I said something like that around half a dozen times a day on average.
 
Dude, you’re doing it wrong. YOU do not order evil temptations, etc. to leave “in the name of Lord Jesus Christ” etc. You’re basically trying to call out demons yourself. Catholics don’t do that. It’s dangerous.

Instead you pray, "Jesus, help me! Drive this evil away from me, I humbly ask you God, in Jesus’ name. Amen. Holy Mary, pray for me. St. Joseph, pray for me. "

You can also say the Prayer to St. Michael.

Don’t talk directly to evil. Ever. Only priests can do that.
 
Last edited:
That is good to know. Never heard about that before so thanks for the heads up.
 
Looks like I’ve been setting myself up for failure this whole time.
 
Beware of triggers, and do not entertain the thoughts of lust which manifest from triggers as they only lead us closer and closer to the edge before a fall.
Pray. Keep on picking yourself back up and persevering, by the grace of Jesus Christ.

If you are Catholic then do not miss your mass obligations.

Prayers for you, OP. 🙏

St Michael, defend us in the battle!

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top