Challenges for an Indian Catholic. Your Thoughts

• Thread starter Thread starter matjam
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

matjam

I am an Indian Catholic from the Syro Malabar Rite. India is a hindu majority country and there are its influences amoung the catholic faithful. I am sharing few practices here. Sad thing is that many are not aware of the dangers involved.
  1. Certain superstitions like a cat crossing the path brings bad luck,
  2. Practicing yoga
  3. Dangerous dance practices like Bharathanatyam.
  4. Refering pagan practice of vasthushasthra for building a house. Many may argue its just science but there are dangers hidden.
    Your thoughts…

Some of these cultural practices and superstitions exist outside of India as well. I think you have to keep in mind that when people say something about a black cat bringing bad luck, for example, they may not always be entirely serious. Some of these things are sort of half jokes.

I am an Indian Catholic from the Syro Malabar Rite.
Just an aside: My Latin Rite parish church is also home to a Syro Malabar Rite congregation. They are a great group of people, always ready to pitch in when work needs to be done around the church, and a valued presence in our community. We’re fortunate to be associated with them.

I went to a Syro-Malabar liturgy for Our Lady of Good Health Vailankanni a few years back. It was very beautiful and also very crowded and enthusiastic.

If these practices are a big problem among the faithful, I would expect your priest to bring it up.

Also, every country has certain cultural superstitions. The Irish-Americans, and Americans in general, have quite a few, like don’t put hats on the bed. And in USA, a lot of new office buildings are designed taking into account practices of feng shui, because they don’t want to put off any potential business partners or customers from China.

I wouldn’t worry too much about it unless people are really hung up on the superstition. And also it seems like a job for the priest, not so much for you as just someone who goes to church with them.

You’ve given me the opportunity to share this image of a woman
who knows Hinduism from the inside out.
(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back