Change One Letter #5

PeterT

Change one word into another by changing exactly one letter.
  • Addition
    word → world
  • Removal
    read → red
  • Substitution
    told → fold
  • Any of the above plus rearrangement
    real → lake ( r → k, then rearrange)
  • No limit on word length
    at → a
  • Rearrangement alone is not allowed
    deal → lead
  • Single words only (even if the two words often go together)
    However, hyphenated words are customarily allowed.
  • Proper nouns are not allowed
    tease → Texas
    Allowed, however, if it is also a regular noun, e.g., eve, mike, job,
    and customarily allowed in derivative form, e.g., Texan.
  • If we reach a dead end (consensus that no new word can be found), go back to the most recent word that offers a way forward. (Dead ends are extremely rare. Be patient; usually someone will find an unexpected way out.)
48.png
Terence2369:
creases

<sigh>… You found the one thing to tempt me to return: Change One Letter!

greases

Last edited:
This forum is set up with post length restrictions: ten character minimum, and I think two word minimum.

There are a couple of tricks for getting around this. PeterT and I have been hiding extra characters within angle brackets, like <characters>. If you reply to a message and in the post editor click the
Screenshot_2021-09-04 Change One Letter #5 - Casual Discussion - Catholic-Questions org
button, you will see everything including hidden codes. (Try it on this message to see how I unhid the code <characters>, which normally would be invisible.
Another trick we’ve seen is to quote the previous word and append enough dots ....... to your word to make 10 characters. I demonstrate this in the following post.

Last edited:
This forum is set up with post length restrictions: ten character minimum
I think I’ve changed it so that there is no minimum. Send me a pm if it’s not working and I’ll take a look. I may need to change it back if it gets abused; we’ll see what happens.

Last edited:
Back