Charismatic Movement

• Thread starter Thread starter starrs0
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

starrs0

Does the Charismatic Movement help or hurt the Church? From what little I’ve heard of it seems like it’s just Catholicism mixed with Pentecostalism.

40.png
starrs0:
Does the Charismatic Movement help or hurt the Church? From what little I’ve heard of it seems like it’s just Catholicism mixed with Pentecostalism.
Like any movement, if it stays obedient to the teachings of the Church and promotes the fruit of the Spirit, especially love and humility, then its good. If it becomes a source of pride, elitism, and disobedience it is bad. I’m not so sure one could make a judgment about the charismatic movement as if it were a monolithic movement. It would be better to talk about charismatic movements.

40.png
starrs0:

1. *]It helps the Church.
    *]It is not Catholicism mixed with Pentecostalism, although I know many view it that way.
    *]If you would like to read a thread here at the forum, where people provide a little more than you have heard, see forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?p=104758
    *]I mentioned Christ the King parish since that parish is a little better known on the internet than others. The pastor, Father Ed Fride, and the parish are both witnessed to on the thread. Fr. Fride and info on him is readily found on the net at Marcus Grodi’s site, chnetwork dot org. More can, of course, be found at the parish site. As an aside, he has a quite well known apologist as a parish member. Perhaps you could ask the parishioner directly whether the movement helps or hurts.

God bless and guide your checking into this.

Here is a quote from another thread that I totally agree with.
40.png
Topher:
I used to be in to that Charismatic stuff myself, but I saw alot of bad fruit from it: People whose faith was based on emotional experiences and not the truth of Christ. People who, when hardship came and the good feelings went away, did not stick with Christ. Furthermore, there is no history of such spirituality in all of Church history. Not one saint speaks of it. Even the passages referenced from scripture by Charismatics are taken out of context and misused. The Charismatic movement started in the protestant religion and that scares me because…their religion is heresy. I am not saying this to be mean but out of genuine concern. By the way, baptism in the Holy Spirit occurs at baptism and at confirmation. If we receive the fullness of the gifts of the Holy Spirit in Confirmation, then there is no need for any extra so called “Baptism in the Holy Spirit”.

Sorry I don’t understand. I only speak in tongues.

😃

And that ladies and gents is my 400th post!

:rotfl:
:tiphat:

The thing’s we’ll do to get out of working on Fridays…

40.png
JSmitty2005:
Here is a quote from another thread that I totally agree with.
That’s good, if that is what you are looking for. You don’t imagine or think anything particularly contrary to the parish I mentioned, I hope, or the pastor there. He’s not the only parish priest who belongs to the movement, but only a handful would know my retired pastor.

Nevertheless, we each speak or opine from what we know. Here’s the quote you provided:
Originally Posted by Topher
I used to be in to that Charismatic stuff myself, but I saw alot of bad fruit from it: People whose faith was based on emotional experiences and not the truth of Christ. People who, when hardship came and the good feelings went away, did not stick with Christ. Furthermore, there is no history of such spirituality in all of Church history. Not one saint speaks of it. Even the passages referenced from scripture by Charismatics are taken out of context and misused. The Charismatic movement started in the protestant religion and that scares me because…their religion is heresy. I am not saying this to be mean but out of genuine concern. By the way, baptism in the Holy Spirit occurs at baptism and at confirmation. If we receive the fullness of the gifts of the Holy Spirit in Confirmation, then there is no need for any extra so called “Baptism in the Holy Spirit”.
Bad fruit can’t be defended in brief posts when generalizations are the rule. I didn’t see bad fruit. I saw a flourishing Legion of Mary, an increasing Third Order of Mary aka Marists, people who attended adoration open every day until finally there was perpetual adoration at our inner city parish, thriving Hispanic community due to charismatic deacon who attended to them, monthly confession preached regularly. Such gives a small demonstration of the fruits I saw.

Certainly the accusation of emotionalism and not faith in Christ is over the top. I won’t bother responding to such a charge as it would only make this thread overly long.

I’m not the only one who has known hardship and not only did not run away from Christ but rather ran to Him. Ain’t no other way to get strength, friend, except in Him. To be specific, life threatening cancer qualifies for hardship. Never missed Mass, Eucharist, and Anointing at all. So who is running from the Truth?

The benefit to what is within the booklet “Baptism in the Spirit” stems from immediate Scripture reading if you’re not already doing that. I was doing so therefore that wasn’t a first for me. It helps you establish a prayer life, preferably in the morning, and that is a good. During the seminar, you develop all the good habits including serving the parish and those around you.

Beyond the particular points, more often than not those who are around the one who turns to God with greater fervor than previously can’t miss the change. It took two weeks before those surrounding me (family and friends) saw a definitive difference and knew my stance toward God, and the Catholic Church.

For additional information on this topic not posted in this thread, do a search for “charismatic”. The topic has come up many, many time and a wealth of information is already discussed in various other threads as well.

Josh

please do a search, this topic has been done to death, I will warn you ahead of time, before you start wading through the hundreds of threads on this topic, most responses are from people who have no direct experience or knowledge of the Catholic Charismatic Renewal. You might want to filter those out. I have no intention of rehashing any of these discussions. CCR was good enough for JP2, it’s good enough for me.

The Catholic Charismatic Renewal (CCR) has got the blessings of the Pope.

It started somewhere in 1967 and was recognised by Pope JPVI in 1975.

For a brief history of the CCR you can go to the following site
nccrs.org/manage/html/modules/content/index.php?id=17

I have myself been in the renewal movement for over 5 years now.

The only change it has made to my life has been positive. And as to moving away from the Church, Eucharist,etc. NO WAY. The renewal and only served in cementing my faith in the Catholic Church and always points me back to Chrish through the Catholic Church and it’s teachings.

It has changed me from a “sunday catholic” to a more committed catholic taking interest in the activities of the Church.

I believe if it brings people closer to Christ…then by all means let people be a part of it and grow in their spirituality…with that said, it is not for me…I don’t care who approves it or looks favorably upon it…You can find the same thing going on at your local Evangelical Church.

My first experience with a Catholic charismatic group was my one and only because of their attitude and what they were trying to teach. The leader of the group claimed that speaking in that gibberish tongues is the ONLY way anyone can communicate with the Holy Spirit and that exorcisms can be performed ONLY by speaking in tongues.
I spoke to my priest about what was said and he said it was absolute rubbish. I never went back to another charismatic meeting.

40.png
dumspirospero:
I believe if it brings people closer to Christ…then by all means let people be a part of it and grow in their spirituality…with that said, it is not for me…I don’t care who approves it or looks favorably upon it…You can find the same thing going on at your local Evangelical Church.
Not for me either. Sure Steve Ray is a good apologist, but his membership at Christ The King should not be construed as approval or support of the movement. As I see it, the movement is still strong in that parish but not quite as widespread as it was when the parish was founded.

Two sources:

Scott Hahn quote (as I remember it) in a tape series: “There is room in the Catholic Church for the charismatic, but unfortunately some charismatics appear to question if there is room in the charismatic movement for the Catholic Church.”

An excellant source of information (but you have to purchase it) is a very fair and unbiased presentation on “Speaking in Tongues” available thru www.catholicintl.com - facts and reference sources, then you decide.

I outgrew the emotionalsim of the CCR years ago. But the years I was involved in it probably kept me in the Church. It was a bastion of orthodoxy! The most faithful, rosary toting Catholics I ever knew, at a time when everything that is not OK seemed to be deemed OK by every priest I talked to.

In almost everything humanly organized and managed, some wrong things can creep in. Even the church, today and throughout the ages, have been challenged by many stupid things – priestly scandals of all kinds, heresies, pro-abortion Catholic Senators, etc. That is why it is important to remain alert, to be always subject to the magisterium, and to remain focused on Christ.

I belong to a charismatic community, and I see great things as well as stupid things. But, when I am focused on Christ, even the stupid things tell me about His love, mercy and care. These are also opportunities, when prudentially appropriate, to help clarify aspects of our faith and liturgy.

Of course, if the movement does not appeal or work for you, you are under no obligation to join or remain in it.

If you want to be great in the kingdom, learn to be a servant to all…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back