S
styrgwillidar
Guest
Sirach, Chapter 14, 3-16 The Use of Wealth…
I wonder if people entertaining themselves instead of giving to charity is wrong. Like is it wrong to spend money on video games or technology when you could be using it to save lives?
…
"Wealth is not appropriate for the mean-spirited;* to misers, what use is gold?
What they deny themselves they collect for someone else, and strangers will live sumptuously on their possessions.
To whom will they be generous that are stingy with themselves and do not enjoy what is their own?
None are worse than those who are stingy with themselves; they punish their own avarice.
If ever they do good, it is by mistake; in the end they reveal their meanness.
Misers are evil people, they turn away and disregard others.
The greedy see their share as not enough; greedy injustice dries up the soul.
The eye of the miserly is rapacious for food, but there is none of it on their own table.
- My son, if you have the means, treat yourself well, and enjoy life as best you can.
Remember that death does not delay, and you have not been told the grave’s appointed time.
Do not deprive yourself of good things now or let a choice portion escape you.
Will you not leave your riches to others, and your earnings to be divided by lot?
Give and take, treat yourself well, for in Sheol there are no joys to seek."
When you give, give with love- for doing it without love is meaningless. Treat yourself well enough that you do not resent the gift you give to others, so it is a sacrifice out of love for your fellow man and concern for them vice some duty forced from you. Do not resent those who treat themselves well since even scripture warns us that those who resent spending money on themselves will resent spending it on others as well.
Paul, 1 Corinthians 3, 13
“If I give away everything I own, and if I hand my body over so that I may boast but do not have love, I gain nothing.”