Charms on a rosary

• Thread starter Thread starter Dadofgirls
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dadofgirls

A friend of mine started making rosaries to sell and recently he asked me if it was acceptable to add charms to it. I tried researching but no luck.

By charms, he means sports charms, football charms, school activity charms such as band instrument charms, cheerleading charms, theater charms, “football mom” charms and such attached to the first mystery bead.

Can anyone help?

He says that he does it in hopes of attracting people to start praying the rosary. I personally do not feel comfortable but haven’t found any answers for him. He showed me a rosary he found on the internet from The Catholic Company store that had a sports charms attached to it. But I read that the store is not affiliated with any dioceses or Catholic Church so I’m not sure.

There are Lego brick rosaries and military rosaries, soccer rosaries and nurses rosaries, St Benedict rosaries and Pope Francis rosaries.

Many people like personalized chaplets.

I have a couple or Rosaries with religious medals on them, but no non-religious items. Some companies make rosaries with football or soccer ball beads. I think that would be a better way to attract people to the Rosary.

I have a rosary made of baseball beads.

And one made of skull beads.

Ok cool! I’ll let him know! Thanks!

I guess it’s just a matter of personal preference 🙂

Last edited:
It’s okay to “personalize” your rosary, as long as the charms aren’t indecent or blasphemous.

Obviously most people don’t want a rosary full of secular charms, but including one charm like “Football Mom” or “#1 Nurse” or the theater masks might appeal to people.

Last edited:
Rosaries are private devotional items. There are no “rules” regarding what they can be made of or how they appear.

I had a rosary made for my son with beads that spell out semper fi when he went in the Marines. A spacer bead in between the words made it a decade. 🙂

I’ve seen rosaries made from rose petals and fragrant too.

Rosaries can be personalized.

I was gifted a rosary made from tiny freshwater pearls.

I have a rosary made of baseball beads.
chatting in the sacristy after liturgy with a visiting bi-ritual priest who covered at our parish a few years ago, he mentioned that he’d been asking people leaving confession to pray for his team (which was still mine back then)–until he realized in horror that they might think it was part of their penance! 😱

I replied with, “Father, this year watching them is penance!”

:crazy_face:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back