Chastity Rings

• Thread starter Thread starter KathyA
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

KathyA

Is a chastity ring, given as a gift, as effective/meaningful as one selected by the person wearing it themselves? The point…I teach a chastity course to the 7th & 8th graders at our small Catholic school. I have had a parent suggest that ALL students be given a chastity ring at the completion of the course. I guess my thinking is that the chastity ring serves as a reminder of the commitment the person has made to remain pure, and therefore, it may be meaningless (sadly) for some students who haven’t made that commitment in their hearts. Her thinking was that if other students were wearing chastity rings, her son would too. Any thoughts???

If a chastity ring is a symbol of being chaste, then you don’t want them to become a fad. Suddenly you will be having teenagers wearing these rings because they are they thing to wear, but mean nothing. I really don’t advocate handing them out like candy. I would suggest making a little contract similar to the chastity card that Catholic Answers Chastity team uses. It would connect meaning to the chastity ring, and give a sense of responsiblity to students wearing them. You could then make it clear how important it is to remain chaste when wearing the ring, and offer them to whoever is interested.
God Bless and keep teaching the good news about Chastity!

Justin

I don’t think a chastity ring would be the slightest help to anyone.
But I do remember stopping my attempt for second base when my hand felt a scapular.

i always thought that one idea for chastity ring would be a plain copper or silver band. that is because it tarnishes and one must work to keep it without stain. somewhat symbolic.

My husband gave my daughter a chastity ring on her 14th birthday. He got down on his knee and put it on her ring finger. Then he took her out on a date. I wrote her a letter to go with the ring. She teased me about being mushy, but I know she takes that moment with her dad very seriously and at 16 she is still committed to purity. I think parents should deal with it individually–perhaps after the class if their child attended one. Our son is now 14 and I am thinking that a camping trip would be more effective than a date!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back