The single person is called to chastity of course, but this can include dating, etc, as long as they avoid near occasions of loss of chastity. Celibacy includes chastity but goes beyond that - it’s a “commitment to”, not just a “refrain from”. Celibacy would preclude looking around for a potential partner.
Celibacy is just one part of a larger pattern, which usually includes either priesthood and/or a religious community. There is also a provision for consecrated virgins, not part of a religious community but with a commitment to the Church. There is unfortunately little mention of this. We unfortunately tend to equate celibacy with priesthood or religious life.
I believe in our current culture, in which sexual gratification is almost enshrined as a right if not perhaps a god, celibacy can be a powerful witness to the gospel. Celibacy is “for” something, or rather for God and people in a special way, rather than regarding sex as evil. However in saying that I certainly welcome married clergy converting from other denominations, to Catholic priesthood. I am undecided about whether ordination to priesthood should be expanded to other married men; need (name removed by moderator)ut from people who know more about this than me.
When I was in grammar school, in the JFK era, some boys responded to the vocations talk by entering the seminary after 8th grade - boarding school. Some orders of sisters took in high school “aspirants” during that time as well, with no vows yet. In hindsight, this was probably not the best plan for some; years later, some asked what did I miss out on? Celibacy is indeed a treasure, but must be a free, informed choice.