Chewing gum and mints

• Thread starter Thread starter Brown10985
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Brown10985

would chewing bubble gum or eating a mint be considered sinful? The Catholic Encyclopedia says that eating for the sake of eating is a sin. Would suckers fall under being sinful too?

LOL… Wow, if that’s sinful, leave me out. I suppose you could say that eating a sucker is eating for pleasure. Therefore, it’s not a sin. But does it really matter? Sin is separation from God. Do you think Jesus would preach, “Blessed are those who don’t eat suckers”? I really don’t think He’d care. This is another problem I have with Catholicism. The Church goes to so much trouble to define sin that people lose sight of what sin really is and why they shouldn’t do it. It gets to be trying to follow this big list of rules. Anyway… enough of this rant. Maybe I’ll start a thread on this. Just let me pose these questions: does eating a sucker separate you from God? Do you think God wants us to enjoy having the sense of taste? Remember; even Jesus attended parties.

“I really don’t think he’d care.”

That’s precisely the attitude that has driven culture further and further away from the Truth. Instead of consulting Scripture and the Magisterium, people just look at their gut feeling of whether or not something is wrong. The Church goes to great lengths to point out sin BECAUSE so many people don’t go to the trouble of thinking issues all the way through.

Gum and suckers, though? First rule, all things in moderation. Secondly, gum should not even pose a problem unless you’re swallowing all of your chewing gum - in which case your stomach has to be nearly stuck shut by now. It’s good that you’re honestly examining your conduct, but I’m assuming the “eating for the sake of eating” line is a warning against gluttony, so as long as you don’t let food come to rule you there should be nothing to worry about.

Andreas Hofer said:

That’s precisely the attitude that has driven culture further and further away from the Truth. Instead of consulting Scripture and the Magisterium, people just look at their gut feeling of whether or not something is wrong.

My conclusion was made after consulting Scripture and closely examining the Person of Christ.

No. It may be if this bothers a person because he sees it as sinful, that he might see a priest to explore the possibility that he suffers from scrupulosity.

40.png
Juxtaposer:
This is another problem I have with Catholicism. The Church goes to so much trouble to define sin that people lose sight of what sin really is and why they shouldn’t do it. It gets to be trying to follow this big list of rules.
Yes, it’s like my own role as a parent. My husband and I definitely go to a lot of trouble to define what is and isn’t appropriate behavior, what is and isn’t permitted – that ol’ parental “big list of rules.”

Why do we do it? Because we love our children and want to protect them. Because we want to teach them about the things that will and will not harm them – temporally and eternally. How do we dare do this? Because we have that authority from God, and He requires we accept and act on this great responsibility to train our children up rightly and teach them to safeguard their souls.

And so it is with the Church.

BTW, I do not agree with your second sentence in that above quote. I don’t know what your basis is for claiming that people lose sight of what sin really is and why they shouldn’t do it. The Church certainly provides plenty of instruction and explanation in various forms available to the faithful. Those who wish to know, can know.

If you are going to examine small candy, better take a look at our (US) holiday Thanksgiving. That extra helping of whatever. Do you really NEED it, or do you want it?

There isn’t anything wrong with enjoying some good food, candy, etc. occasionally.

I dont see the teachings of the church as the problem…

When people actually are spending time on whether having candy or gum is sinful…yes even in light of how the teaching on eating is written…its more a fault of people being much too scrupulous/Rigorus in their interpretations…and I think the same…Jesus could care less about someone enjoying a sucker…as long as its not in Mass or just before Mass.

And as far as Thanksgiving goes…yes…I’ll have that EXTRA helping of Sweet Potatoes simply cause I WANT it and not cause I “need”…and I also wont be having any feelings of guilt of gluttony for it either.

PERSPECTIVE…Just cause one is a practicing Catholic doesnt mean we must now put a microscope under every Catholic Law…isnt the LAW there for US instead of US being made FOR the Law…wasnt this type of scrutiny exactly what Jesus taught against…following letters of law to the point of NOT realizing the (spirit) of it?

Anything, including chewing gum, can be a sin if done with wrong intentions…
  • for whatever is not from faith is sin. Rom 14:23*
As regards to Catholic rules and regulations, as has been already been noted they exist for our instruction and protection. No one is perfect and perhaps we do tend to loose sight of the big picture sometimes. But in the Catholic Church the big picture is always there, and so are the small pictures.

I ran out of edit time…

This reminds me of having morning Coffee…is this a need or a want? Some would argue its a need…for ME…yes…its a need…or I will get a headache…which I dont WANT…and I simply like Coffee too much to wean myself off it…I like it and will drink it.

But…how about people who like Sugar in their coffee? Certainly that is NOT a “need” but instead a “want”…some like it sweet…are we now to scrutinize whether its a sin cause we want sugar in Coffee…or even to have Coffee?

What about Soda…CLEARLY a PURE (WANT) is THAT a sin according to the way Church Law is written? I would probably laugh at the Bishop or Priest who would attempt to interpret it that way…not nice, but I probably would…I dont think I need to worry about that though…they enjoy living life as well. I also aint about to give up my occasional Coca Cola, Root Beer or Vernors Ginger Soda…I simply like it too much to give it up…unless I am doing a fast or some such thing.
Perspective/Moderation and SPIRIT of the Law…except where the Law unequivicably uses words such as SHALL NOT…FORBIDDEN…etc…

Its not what goes into a man…its what comes out of one…

Andreas Hofer said:

That’s precisely the attitude that has driven culture further and further away from the Truth. Instead of consulting Scripture and the Magisterium, people just look at their gut feeling of whether or not something is wrong. The Church goes to great lengths to point out sin BECAUSE so many people don’t go to the trouble of thinking issues all the way through.

Gum and suckers, though? First rule, all things in moderation. Secondly, gum should not even pose a problem unless you’re swallowing all of your chewing gum - in which case your stomach has to be nearly stuck shut by now. It’s good that you’re honestly examining your conduct, but I’m assuming the “eating for the sake of eating” line is a warning against gluttony, so as long as you don’t let food come to rule you there should be nothing to worry about.

Swollwing gum is bad :eek: im in huge trouble with my digestive track!!!

Im kidding for the record

Are you talking about chewing gum in church? Yes, otherwise no.
Some people need to cover bad breath.

Mike C:
Are you talking about chewing gum in church? Yes, otherwise no.
Some people need to cover bad breath.
As my husband keeps telling me! :rotfl:

If your only reason to chew gum or have a mint is because it’s there, then I think you’re bordering on sinning. Most of the time people have a valid reason to eat–they are hungry, they have bad breath, etc. If there is not legitimate reason to have food, then I think it would fall under gluttony.

Now, no matter the reason for chewing the gum, those who smack their gum are another story. In my book, they’re in the special hell reserved for those who talk at the theatre. 😃

Faithful 2 Rome:
I ran out of edit time…

This reminds me of having morning Coffee…is this a need or a want? Some would argue its a need…for ME…yes…its a need…or I will get a headache…which I dont WANT…and I simply like Coffee too much to wean myself off it…I like it and will drink it.
It sounds like you’re describing addiction. Which is sinful in all its forms.

Sorry…drinking coffee doesnt fit into an addiction as sinful like smoking crack.

Caffeine may not be as addictive as cocaine or nicotine, but it can be an addiction. It is seen as being an “acceptable” addiction by our society, but that doesn’t make it right. You’re relying on a chemical to keep your body running at a higher alert state that necessary. Purposely feeding a caffeine addiction would be considered a sin. Better to wean yourself off of the caffeine (there’s plenty of decaf coffee in the world, and I’ve had some that taste better than regular). As an occasional stimulant it’s fine, under the defination of moderation–I usually have a few caffeinated mints before entering a meeting to jolt my awareness–but if you’re finding that you are relying on the caffeine to get through the day, it is bad.

I think that’s splitting hairs. I personally don’t think that Our Lord would consider this to be sinful, but I guess I’m biased because I chew gum and eat mints.

I don’t think that God is standing over us with a whip ready to beat us down for the slightest infraction. To the contrary, I believe He loves us and is full of Mercy. Somehow I don’t really think God cares too much about whether we chew gum or eat mints.

In Christ’s Love,
Nick

40.png
Almeria:
Caffeine may not be as addictive as cocaine or nicotine, but it can be an addiction. It is seen as being an “acceptable” addiction by our society, but that doesn’t make it right. You’re relying on a chemical to keep your body running at a higher alert state that necessary. Purposely feeding a caffeine addiction would be considered a sin. Better to wean yourself off of the caffeine (there’s plenty of decaf coffee in the world, and I’ve had some that taste better than regular). As an occasional stimulant it’s fine, under the defination of moderation–I usually have a few caffeinated mints before entering a meeting to jolt my awareness–but if you’re finding that you are relying on the caffeine to get through the day, it is bad.
I seem to recall hearing a report recently that a cup of regular coffee a day can be a very healthy thing (along the same lines as a cup of tea or a glass of red wine or a dark beer). Studies seem to be mixed as to whether long-term use of caffeine has any ill effects. As for decaf coffee, you might want to check your brand - some of the processes use solvents that are very similar to dry cleaning solvents to extract the caffeine. Keep an eye out in the next few years though, as a mutant coffee plant that is naturally caffeine free was recently discovered. If that can be commercialized, you might actually get a cup of caffeine-free coffee that tastes just like regular.

I would agree that if you need a cup of coffee in the morning just to feel normal, that has crossed the line into something unnatural, even if it’s not demonstrably unhealthy. And if you need to spend $3 for your coffee at Starbucks every morning, I might question if that’s good stewardship of your money, or should you perhaps be giving some of that to one of those charities that says “for the price of a cup of coffee a day…” But a coffee habit is far less damaging to your body than cigarettes or heavy drinking, not to mention heroin or crystal meth or whatever.

Bobby Jim:
I seem to recall hearing a report recently that a cup of regular coffee a day can be a very healthy thing (along the same lines as a cup of tea or a glass of red wine or a dark beer). Studies seem to be mixed as to whether long-term use of caffeine has any ill effects. As for decaf coffee, you might want to check your brand - some of the processes use solvents that are very similar to dry cleaning solvents to extract the caffeine. Keep an eye out in the next few years though, as a mutant coffee plant that is naturally caffeine free was recently discovered. If that can be commercialized, you might actually get a cup of caffeine-free coffee that tastes just like regular.

I would agree that if you need a cup of coffee in the morning just to feel normal, that has crossed the line into something unnatural, even if it’s not demonstrably unhealthy. And if you need to spend $3 for your coffee at Starbucks every morning, I might question if that’s good stewardship of your money, or should you perhaps be giving some of that to one of those charities that says “for the price of a cup of coffee a day…” But a coffee habit is far less damaging to your body than cigarettes or heavy drinking, not to mention heroin or crystal meth or whatever.
I switched to tea as my main hot drink in the morning since coffee was starting to adverse effects. Now I usually drink coffee only on weekends as a kind of treat. For those two experience some kind of caffeine addiction, give tea a try for a few weeks. It’ll hopefully kill any addiction you may have and it’s better for you. Of course tea has caffeine as well, but not as much as coffee I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back