Childhood and the Loss of Innocence

• Thread starter Thread starter springbreeze
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

springbreeze

Dear friends

I can honestly say I would like to turn back the clock, it’s a vain hope. No-one can turn back the clock. But I mourn my loss of innocence, those childhood days of pure acceptance. I want to reach back into time and grasp that innocence and purity of childhood that we all lose. That is where the Kingdom of Heaven is. Pure acceptance without doubt or worry, without pride or embellishment.

I want to be so small, to grasp that what I see in my own child and those of other children. Children are so fast to forgive, so kind in so many ways and so pure and beautiful, I am sure they are nearer to God than many of us yet in some ways further away from God as they have achieved so little good, have not struggled and loved as adults do against hardship and trial. Children are shielded from the suffering of life, they should be, and so it is with us in God, we as His children are shielded, hidden, refugees from the harshness of life in His grace and mercy.

Surely what we lose in innocence is replaced in striving. That’s a strange statement I know, but I can only see that those who have fought for good against all odds are nearer to God than those who by pure innocence sit comfortably at His feet.

We have done a little good, not for our own self, but for God’s good name.

I want to be stripped of the workings of an adult mind, yet retain the workings of an adult mind so that all my reasoning may be sound yet pure. I want to return to the simplicity of a childhood mind and yet grow in understanding. It is a contradiction in terms, but it is the Gospel message.

The child within me still exists, for example I can see the fun in hose-pipe fights (water fights), I am still in awe of creation, I am still exploring and seeking etc. That joy has never left me, in many ways I am as a simple child lost in the world seeking refuge in God my Saviour and yet I have become complex. How did that come to be?

We are all still children, we all need our Mother and Father. We need our elder Brother. I feel no safer than a child with arm-bands first time in a swimming pool, it’s a great adventure, but amid the excitement is some measure of uncertainty and a lack of self-assurance. I am constantly relying, on God and on those around me. If I cannot love God and those around me and if those around me cannot love God and me, then my reliance is a glass ceiling.

Children never expect those around them to fail them. They trust implicitly.

I am still a child in so many ways. I must never forget I am a child.

I posted this because I would like to hear of your thoughts on this and any you have already pondered yourselves.

We grew up , but for the most part we did not grow up in God, I am a child waiting to grow up in God and in that growing up, still remain a child.

Thank you for sharing any of your thoughts

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

Ah, how people idolize childhood…

People like to say “I wish I were a little kid because the biggest thing I had to worry about was whether I got chocolate milk or orange juice for snack.” But when you’re a little kid, you don’t have the perspective to realize it’s not a big deal. It is a big deal!

Life is like a vermillion-course meal. Here comes the salad - there are some good olives but some disgusting mushrooms. Then they take away the salad. You can never have the olives again, but you don’t have to worry about ever having the mushrooms. The soup is next - the broth is good but the celery tastes funny. You bite into a piece of celery and think “oh, if only I could have the olives from the salad!” The soup has made you lose perspective. The olives were good but they don’t go with soup. And you’ve completely forgotton the mushrooms.

The meal of life has so many more courses, though. And in the right order. (I’m not sure if soup or salad comes first.)

40.png
springbreeze:
But I mourn my loss of innocence, those childhood days of pure acceptance. I want to reach back into time and grasp that innocence and purity of childhood that we all lose.

Children are shielded from the suffering of life,

Children never expect those around them to fail them. They trust implicitly.
I’m sure you didn’t meant to emphasize these points, but let me just point out that not everybody experiences this version of childhood–at least, I sure didn’t. Some of us had learned from very early on NOT to implicitly trust. Some of us were most certainly not shielded from suffering at very young ages. I remember being sent to one child care provider after another, day after day–and missing my parents terribly, every time. The day care providers were not good. As a small child, I came to the conclusion that I couldn’t rely on my parents to be available when I needed them. Now at 23 I still haven’t gotten over the tendency to extreme aloofness which has resulted from that experience. My childhood was a lonely one, and I am thoroughly grateful to finally be done with it.

Sorry, didn’t mean to sound so negative, I think you may have hit a soft spot with me. Your experience of childhood is definitely one to be cherished and remembered fondly.

You seem to desire certain qualities of childhood, yet also to remain an adult. Why worry then–this is completely possible with God! The trick is, let yourself be completely dependent on God, just as a child is completely dependent on his parents.

When you were a child, you didn’t need to worry about worldly things like paying bills, etc. Well, you need not worry now, either! God knew the course of your entire life before you were conceived. He is in complete control and will not stop caring for you. Sure, difficult things will come your way–but only if He knows they will make you stronger.

As a child, you trusted implicitly and forgave easily. You may not be able to trust certain people, but you can always trust God. He is perfect and cannot deceive. If you have trouble forgiving anyone, think of how God has forgiven so many of YOUR sins.

Let me also add that to whom much is given, much will be expected. As an adult, you have been given reasoning capacities beyond those of a child. Therefore, it is expected that God will want you to do a bit more of life’s work than you did as a child. But besides that, the core virtues of childhood need never be abandoned. They should be exercised and built up. I have managed to attain a second “childhood” this way–only this time, my parent is not man but God, and I am not an ignorant child but an experienced adult. Hope this helps.

Chris

I think we are always small children in God´s eyes. All of us :yup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back