Children's Adoration? What do you think?

• Thread starter Thread starter Dismas2004
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dismas2004

Just curious how many people out there have heard of Children’s Adoration?

What do you think?

well I know a lot of parents and grandparents who adore their children and place them above everything and everybody else, including God. You find a lot of them in Little league.

but seriously folks, as part of the celebration of the Eucharistic year, we are providing special catechesis on the Eucharist for catechists, children, youth, parents and parishioners throughout the year, and instituting regular Holy Hours for exposition and adoration, to which we urge parents to bring their children. we also have extended our chapel hours in the evening. The school is planning a special catechetical program and holy hours for each grade level. Our Advent and lent retreats for all grade levels in CCD will focus on the Eucharist, with holy hours, following the Y2K format.

It’s like anything else what you learn as a child stays with you. After enduring years and years of disregard for the Real Presence, musical tabernacles, assembly line reception of communion, abolition of 40 hours, benediction and other Eucharistic devotions that marked my childhood and youth, I for one welcome its return and emphasis, and urge all families and children to participate.

I dunno…we had what could be termed “Children’s Adoration” at my Catholic school when I was a kid. Most of us were really too young to understand fully what was going on, and I I recall the misery of being forced to kneel for 3 hours straight while nuns patrolled and whacked with a yardstick anyone who wasn’t perfectly still, perfectly silent, and on their knees, ramrod-straight.

However, as a mom myself, with a gentler (but still respectful) approach, I think my daughter (age 9) would like the chance to talk to “her Jesus” for a little while (maybe 30 minutes?) on a regular basis. But then, she does that anyway, without benefit of a monstrance. 🙂

Therese

I have heard of it last year from EWTN…

Father Antoine Thomas from the Community of St. John was on w/
Fr. Mitch and I ordered the video from EWTN called “When Children Adore”
… I also ordered all the material on how to implement it…
There is a Leaders manual, music, etc. I think it’s a great idea…nobody was receptive to it at my parish…

I guess it depends on how one defines children. Taking a toddler or young child for any length of time may be unreasonable. I do think that stopping in a chapel or church with a young one just to say hi to Jesus is good though. My 13 yr old and some of her friends do 15 min a week in front of the Blessed Sacrament. They pray for vocations and the intentions of the Holy Father. I say Children’s Adoration is fine as long as it’s age appropriate. —KCT

40.png
Annunciata:
I have heard of it last year from EWTN…

Father Antoine Thomas from the Community of St. John was on w/
Fr. Mitch and I ordered the video from EWTN called “When Children Adore”
… I also ordered all the material on how to implement it…
There is a Leaders manual, music, etc. I think it’s a great idea…nobody was receptive to it at my parish…
I forgot to add that this teaches children of all ages, escpecially the little ones about “Adoration”…that’s when we really want to get them!
Annunciata:)

I take my boys, 8 and 11 to weekly Adoration. It is not aimed at kids - just general Adoration. They fidget, they read, they get up and walk around to do the Stations of the Cross.
At first I was a bit uncomfortable because my boys were not perfectly quiet praying little angels. Maybe the rustling of their book pages was distracting to others at Adoration. Then I realized that Jesus loves His little ones and I think it pleases Him greatly to see them there. How else are they gonna learn?

I also noticed there are a few parents who wheel their strollers into Adoration - even for a few minutes.

The children get a big blessing from this time in front of the Blessed Sacrament. I have noticed significant strides in my boys faith and I attribute it directly to Adoration and the rosary.

My parish offers children’s adoration on the first Friday of each month. It is for one hour in the evening. It is beautiful! The altar is adorned with many candles, the monstrance evelvated on the altar. A guitarist leads us in some traditional hymns. The deacon gives a talk at “their level”- most of the kids are 12 and under, with many toddlers. My kids are 5 and 3 and you cannot beleive the impact it has had on them. They (are beginning) understand Jesus is present in the Eucharist and how we are to love and adore Jesus. The children have carpet squares which they kneel upon at the step right before the altar. It is a wonderful sight! Our priest is in the confessional hearing confessioins during the whole time. A light social follows. Also- one decade of the rosary is prayed and 10 children have the chance to lead the Hail Mary’s individually … Hearing a 3 year old offer her prayer in clear and respectful manner can bring tears to your eyes!

I hope to continue attending Children’s Adoration and hope it catches on in other areas. What a blessing!

40.png
Annunciata:
I forgot to add that this teaches children of all ages, escpecially the little ones about “Adoration”…that’s when we really want to get them!
I’m really not with it this morning… :rolleyes: here is the website:
childrenofhope.org/

I think it is wonderful! One day I was a Adoration and there was this mother with a small child (about three years old) and the mother’s mother was with them. I was amazed at how quiet this child was! (smile) The grandmother said something to her greanddaughter that was so touching! When the child would begin to fitgit and squirm, the grandmother (who was kneeling behind the child) would lean over and point to the Blessed Sacrement and whisper, “Look at Jesus. See Jesus?” The child would still and sometimes turned to look wide eyed at the Blessed Sacrement.

It was such a beatutiful moment!

40.png
Annunciata:
I’m really not with it this morning… :rolleyes: here is the website:
childrenofhope.org/
I think it’s beautiful. I’ve attended children’s adoration with Fr. Antoine many times, especially when I was first coming into the Church, and it had a profound effect on me. It can teach us adults that we can truly come before God as little children, simply open, eager, fidgety even, without lots of flowery prayers or profound thoughts. Just being in His presence and loving Him.

Dear friends

I feel that with this being the season of Advent commencing nex sunday and over the Christmas period, children may be introduced by the Child Jesus to Eucharistic Adoration, this is a way in which they can from a very early age, understand the Eucharist by the Child of Jesus, the birth of the Infant Jesus and His childhood can come to appreciate in child-like terms the beauty and perfect gift we have in the Real Presence of Jesus in the Eucharist and just as the Three Wise Men and the Shepherds came to adore the baby Jesus, so we echo this in Eucharistic Adoration.

This would be a lovely Eucharistic Adoration theme to follow commencing from His conception, birth, childhood, ministry and death and ressurection. A gift back to Jesus to show we love Him and adore Him. Jesus said, let all the little chidlren come to me and do not hinder them.

A once a month Eucharistic Adoration for children would institute a life-long appreciation and love of our Eucharistic Lord and an understanding of Him in the Real Presence that will be engrained in their hearts.

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

Our school offers Eucharistic Adoration on the First Friday of every month. Our priest comes over right after Mass and exposes the Blessed Sacrament for us. At least one person is always in the chapel with Jesus during the entire day, but usually it is a whole class.

Each class goes as a class, with the time periods getting longer as the kids get older. Preschoolers go for ten minutes to our Eucharistic Chapel of The Sacred Heart of Jesus, where their teachers lead them in a few short prayers, a few moments of silence, and then the singing of Tantum Ergo. Afterwards, back in the classroom, they draw a picture or write about their experience and their prayers.

My eighth graders go for a solid hour. We start with a kneeling prayer, do the Litany of the Saints and a short meditation from the book, “A Holy Hour with Jesus”, then remain in silence for the rest of the hour. We also end with the singing of Tantum Ergo, and sometimes also sing other classic hymns of adoration. Because we are last to attend Adoration in the school, we are greatly blessed to be present when the Benediction occurs each time.

I love it. 👍

40.png
maendem:
… it had a profound effect on me. It can teach us adults that we can truly come before God as little children, simply open, eager, fidgety even, without lots of flowery prayers or profound thoughts. Just being in His presence and loving Him.
Hi Maendum,
I actually got as much out of Fr. Antoine than I think the kids do…as you say “like little children”…This is how I think Adoration should be…innocent , pure and yes, just lovingly being in His Presence.
God Bless Annunciata:)

My parish is beginning to implement a catechism program called the Catechism of the Good Shepherd. It’s a great program where kids starting at age 3 or so gather in a sacred space and hear a short presentation (usually about a gospel parable or about a liturgical item like a chausible (sp?)). They then have time to work with items (maps of the holy land, purificators, etc) or to draw and color. Some really amazing insights can come from these sessions. For instance, after presenting the parable of the good shepherd, it’s not unusual to hear the children spontaneously say things like “I love you Jesus!”

I think Children of Hope is amazing! I guess I am a little biased because I love Fr. Antoine and the Community. My brother belongs to the Community of St. John. I was priveleged to help work their booth at the Catholic Family Conference and spend time with Fr. Antoine. It is an amazing program. Imagine that as young as 3 or 4 years old, these children are already learning how to pray in silence and talk to Jesus in their hearts! How much more special that First Communion will be when they finally get to receive their Friend they have spent so much time talking to. I think it is an incredible gift to the Church.

I think it’s great but an attempt to have Children’s Adoration at our parish was futile. The original schedule was weekly on Sunday from 4-5 o’clock. Attandance was so bad that it was cancelled after two months. We also had difficulty getting a priest or deacon to assist all claiming that this was a bad time. (Some didn’t want to miss the football game.) We now have a family Eucharistic Half Hour from 12 -12:30 on the First Saturday of the month. This follows our usual 10 -12 noon monthly Adoration.

The program all sounded great but just didn’t get off the ground in my parish. But then, my parish is know for it’s spiritual apathy.

Micki

How about these scripture verses.

1 Samuel 2:18 Meanwhile the boy Samuel, girt with a linen apron, was serving in the presence of the LORD.

1 Samuel 3:4* The LORD called to Samuel, who answered, “Here I am.”*

1 Samuel 3:10* the LORD came and revealed His presence, calling out as before, “Samuel, Samuel!” Samuel answered, “Speak, for your servant is listening.”*

Luke 18:16-17* Jesus, however, called the children to himself and said, “Let the children come to me and do not prevent them; for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. Amen, I say to you, whoever does not accept the kingdom of God like a child will not enter it.”*

I am rather convinced that it is a very beautiful thing if a child learns to love the Lord at a young age. Those early childhood experiences can last and influence a lifetime.

I teach 3rd grade Christian Formation, and my students will be receiving their First Communion in the spring, and I’ve given some thought of incorporating a children’s adoration on one of our nights. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Peace and God bless! 🙂

Eric

40.png
enanneman:
I teach 3rd grade Christian Formation, and my students will be receiving their First Communion in the spring, and I’ve given some thought of incorporating a children’s adoration on one of our nights. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Peace and God bless! 🙂

Eric
Check out this Children’s Adoration Website - that is where we got our ideas!

childrenofhope.org/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back