Choosing A Parish?

• Thread starter Thread starter Almost_Catholic
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Almost_Catholic

How does one choose a parish? I am equidistant from three different parishes, two diocesen, one jesuit. I am further from FSSP latin parish which I prefer. Should one go on geography or preference? Does one go by the priest and or parishoners?

My wife and I come from a “conservative” Evangelical background (forgive the “conservative” part, used for lack of a better description) and we are leaving a mainline protestant church. I want to find a good, solid, orthodox catholic family. Since I want to make it a one way trip, rather than church hopping…

Ideas???

Almost Catholic:
How does one choose a parish? I am equidistant from three different parishes, two diocesen, one jesuit. I am further from FSSP latin parish which I prefer. Should one go on geography or preference? Does one go by the priest and or parishoners?

My wife and I come from a “conservative” Evangelical background (forgive the “conservative” part, used for lack of a better description) and we are leaving a mainline protestant church. I want to find a good, solid, orthodox catholic family. Since I want to make it a one way trip, rather than church hopping…

Ideas???
Hi,
You can attend any parish you like. I would check them all out to see which one is the more conservative, traditional style you like.
And welcome to the Church. I will keep your family in my prayers.http://forums.catholic-questions.org/images/icons/icon14.gif

Strictly speaking, you are withing the official boundaries of some parish. It would be ideal, then for you to attend there. (You’d have to ask around and find out which one it is.) If you have some difficulties with that parish due to whatever problems or preferences, however, you are free to attend Mass and participate at another parish.

After 7 years of schooling at a Jesuit College, and being very good friends with many Jesuits, no prizes for guessing where I’d go!

The Jesuits tend to be more traditionalist yet (paradoxically?) more open to and comfortable with young people, as their ministry usually involves some form of school/university teaching.

When I chose my parish, I called the office of the diocese to find out which one I was supposed to be in. Then I looked at a city map, because I’l only been in Vegas for a couple of months. I discovered we were within a mile and a half from one church. 2 miles from another and two and a half miles from a third. I visited the closest (which was our “official” parish the first time I went to a Catholic church. By the time mass was over, I knew I wanted to convert. So I called to find out when RCIA was at the three parishes and how long the program was. I decided to visit all three before deciding. I never made it to the third parish. First of all the second parish, St. Joseph, Husband of Mary, had RCIA on Tuesday nights and it was a test parish for a one year program. That made it a front runner in my quest. (I wouldn’t have to miss Monday Night Football!😉 ) But the biggest reason I selected it was because from the moment I walked in the door, I knew I was home. Of course I had bathed the decision in prayer before I started the process as well. I really wanted to be where God wanted me to be. A year later, and my entire family still feels that St. Joseph’s is home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back