Christians who reject baptism

• Thread starter Thread starter njlisa
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

njlisa

Has anyone encountered a church that rejects baptism? If so, please tell me about it.

Here’s the background:

A friend told me that her non-denominational Bible church does not practice baptism. She said, “We go only by the Bible.”

I pointed out that Jesus told his Apostles to go unto the nations, make disciples of them, and baptize them in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

She told me that after the book of Acts, the church received a new dispensation. I had no idea how to reply after that.

Last edited:
A church that doesn’t baptize in the Trinitarian formula is not a Christian church.

In my Protestant denomination, I was taught that once a person had been “saved,” he/she should receive a full-immersion Baptism.

Although not necessary for salvation, baptism is an ordinance. And so we do it to obey Jesus.

++++++++

@TNMan: I agree with your distinction. I was just trying to get the conversation rolling. I just read that some Evangelical churches will only baptize people who request it. Because these churches teach that baptism is not necessary for salvation, members don’t feel required to do so. All I can say is that they weren’t raised in the Southern Baptist Church.

+++++++++

@JosephDColeman: I also raised as a Baptist. The Catholic Church appealed to me for many reasons – including the fact that individual interpretation of the Bible makes for a lot of confusion and errors.

+++++++

@adf417: I was so stunned that I didn’t delve anymore.

+++++++

@Vico: That’s how I grew up. You can be saved as soon as you understand the nature of sin and the need for salvation.

I was baptized by immersion at age 10. My baptism was one of the greatest moments in my life. I’m glad I remember it. I wouldn’t do anything differently.
I read of one community that does not baptize infants, only those adults that already profess belief, which they say is salvation. Only the saved will then be baptized.
+++++++++++++

@nafatyuk: I hadn’t thought of the Quakers. Thanks for your post and welcome to the forum.

Last edited:
The Church clearly baptised in Acts. I was a Baptist before I was a Catholic, and even though I can’t remember if they see baptism as necessary, I got the impression it wasn’t necessary so much as something you do to show the world you are a Christian…a profession I guess.

Then again looking back now I think it’s strange that I thought I was being very biblical yet ignored passages that spoke of baptism…i.e. Christ telling Nicodemus you MUST be born of WATER and the Spirit. Also Peter even flat out says in 2 Peter that baptism now saves you.

In my opinion, the problem with relying on Sola scriptura is that the people who do so never actually go by the bible alone…they are told what it says and then read into the bible their opinions. This is the same with “once saved always saved,” wherein one sees the passages that speak of being secure in Christ and then bend the passages that say the branches will be removed from the vine or that you can fall from grace to mean something else entirely.

Also in Acts baptism is how the Holy Spirit is given…though sometimes the laying on of hands follows because the Spirit isn’t conferred by baptism.

Peter even says in Acts 2:37-38 to repent and be baptised when asked what the unbeliever should do…but then again I’m sure this is ignored in favor of the Romans 10:9.

This is why Sola scriptura is not good in establishing doctrine. Some passages seem to say we need it where others don’t mention it so people assume they can pick one. Some passages even say the apostles baptised in the name of Jesus and not explicitly in the name of the Father and Son and Holy Spirit. As long as confirmation bias is present in humans Sola scriptura is basically a waste of time.

I’m so thankful for the authority of the Church. I have so many friends that seem to still be spending their whole time trying to figure out tenets of the faith…life is too short and the gospel should be lived. It’s hard to live something when you spend all your time trying to figure out what it is.

If I’m not mistaken, the Salvation Army also doesn’t practice baptism.

As for your friend saying, “the church received a new dispensation after the book of Acts”…where is that in scripture? Most of the Epistles were written to encourage, reinforce, or correct errors. The Epistles do not describe anything about new dispensations being given. I don’t even think the word “dispensation” is in scripture lol.

She told me that after the book of Acts, the church received a new dispensation. I had no idea how to reply after that.
What does that mean - “after the book of Acts”? Is she assuming the books of the bible are in chronological order of theology? Each book gives us deeper revelation as you continue reading through?

Peace!!!

Has anyone encountered a church that rejects baptism? If so, please tell me about it.

Here’s the background:

A friend told me that her non-denominational Bible church does not practice baptism. She said, “We go only by the Bible.”

I pointed out that Jesus told his Apostles to go unto the nations, make disciples of them, and baptize them in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

I read of one community that does not baptize infants, only those adults that already profess belief, which they say is salvation. Only the saved will then be baptized.

Last edited:
I don’t even think the word “dispensation” is in scripture lol.
From the Douay Rheims:

1 Corinthians 9:17 For if I do this thing willingly, I have a reward: but if against my will, a dispensation is committed to me:

Ephesians 1:10 In the dispensation of the fulness of times, to re-establish all things in Christ, that are in heaven and on earth, in him.

Ephesians 3:2 If yet you have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me towards you:

Colossians 1:25 Whereof I am made a minister according to the dispensation of God, which is given me towards you, that I may fulfil the word of God:

I hope this helps…

I think that Quakers believe something similar about baptism; they view it as an unnecessary human ritual no more holy than any other physical act.

That’s how I grew up. You can be saved as soon as you understand the nature of sin and the need for salvation.

… I was baptized by immersion at age 10. My baptism was one of the greatest moments in my life. I’m glad I remember it. I wouldn’t do anything differently. …
Therefore, in comparison, in the Catholic faith, it is like baptism of desire yet baptism of water:
Catechism 1231 "… By its very nature infant Baptism requires a post-baptismal catechumenate . Not only is there a need for instruction after Baptism, but also for the necessary flowering of baptismal grace in personal growth.
Catechism 1254 … For all the baptized, children or adults, faith must grow after Baptism. For this reason the Church celebrates each year at the Easter Vigil the renewal of baptismal promises. …

Last edited:
You simply reply by saying, “Sorry, that’s not the case.”
I think that Quakers believe something similar about baptism; they view it as an unnecessary human ritual no more holy than any other physical act.
Yes, they avoid doing anything sacramental in general, as they do not believe in the sacraments.
They have no form of Eucharist, and marriages in their church are basically just the two people announcing to the congregation that henceforth they plan to live as man and wife.

Last edited:
@Vico
Therefore, in comparison, in the Catholic faith, it is like baptism of desire yet baptism of water.
Before I could be baptized, I was confirmed, although Baptists wouldn’t call it that.

I met with the pastor, who questioned me about the Scriptures. Then I made a public profession of faith. After that, I was baptized in a pool, in front of the whole congregation. The setup was something like this.

In the Baptist church I attended, catechesis never stops. Sunday school is for life.

When I was confirmed in the R.C. Church 30 years ago, I felt as if I had come full circle.

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

+++++++++++

@Tis_Bearself: I hear you.

Last edited:
I grew up in a church like that… any action aside from prayer and belief simply wasn’t necessary. They didn’t look down on baptism, it just wasn’t needed. There have been only a handful of baptisms there in my lifetime - and only once that I’m aware of that communion was ever practiced.

Reply that their interpretation is selective guess-work. They have no way of knowing with certainty based on Scripture alone. The only chance any of us have to know is based on the experience and practices of the ancient churches, in the east and the west, all universally holding baptism to be necessary for salvation, which Scripture also supports.

Last edited:
@nafatyuk

Welcome to CAF! We hope you’ll be a long-time contributing member! Please explore all the parts of this site in order to gain the most benefit. Click on the three horizontal lines stacked vertically and you’ll find easy navigation to the different forum boards. Clicking on the magnifying glass lets you follow the prompts and find topics that are archived from now closed threads.

Best wishes on your journey across the Tiber! That’s exciting! 😇

Last edited:
they view it as an unnecessary human ritual
Isn’t this spiritual pride? He who was blameless received Baptism from St John the Baptist who was bowing to Christ from before he was even born. So Christ saw Baptism a necessary step by some people today, flawed humans, for whatever theological idea, think Baptism is just “a thing” - in and out of fashion.
Sorry I find this scandalous, and I ptay God illumines people who want to follow Christ but they only follow by pieces. Things they get and the ones they don’t get then they “don’t need”.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back