Christmas and the Thre American Religions

• Thread starter Thread starter GregoryPalamas
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

GregoryPalamas

Christmas and the Three American Religions

In the circles I travel there is a constant debate concerning the three predominant religions of America. One way to look at these three religions is to look at their respective views concerning Christmas.

The most dominant religion in America is Deism. Deism got its start in 1638 as a compromise between Calvinism, Lutheranism, and Catholicism. It effectively said that truth is not our goal in Western society but rather compromise or at least majority rule. It completely undercut both the disciplines of Theology and Philosophy. It did promote in their places modern science and what we call Democracy. In this religion the Goddess of Liberty and Santa Claus are equal pretend deities. The “high God” or “Higher Power” or some such laid down the “laws of nature” and left the world to run itself. Our job is through a serious of trials and errors discover and use these laws.

Desists like Christmas because it feels nice and it promotes a sense of harmony and capitalism. Deism is supported by a majority of Republicans and a shrinking number of Democrats.

The second religion that has been infected to one degree or another by the predominant Deism of Western Culture is Monotheism usually expressed through one form or another of Christianity. Christmas celebrations were originally wedged between Advent and Epiphany until a date for Christmas was settled upon. The Divine Condescension of God to us is a central teaching of the Church but the actual date of celebration is a Johnny—Come- lately. Nevertheless, if one really wishes to celebrate the Christian holy it won’t be done at the shopping mall. That’s the Deist celebration. It will be done at Church.

The third but growing religion of America is called Atheism. It has no use for Christianity at all and ridicules the Deist fantasy of Christmas as the worship of Santa Claus, trees, and the colors Red and Green. Atheists often criticize the Deist holiday by claiming it is Christian.

I like the “feel good” holiday of the Deist Christmas, but have we really lost anything by not having it spread by Wall Mart? I don’t know.

What bothers me more is the Deistic intrusions into our holy Churches.

What do you think?

Dan Lauffer

Of all the religions mentioned here I find Atheism to be the most diabollical. A true atheist doesn’t believe in anything. Nothing. Another thing is they think abortion is a choice. Worst of all, the Nazis themselves were atheists as well as the Communists.

Deism most dominant? Nope, not really. Look at the 19th century with all these rediculous ideologies. Who thought that God created the universe and then said “You’re on your own.” That we are left to fend for ourselves. Doesn’t sound like much of a relationship with God if you ask me. Luther would never say that.

How perverted our Judeo- Christian society has become plagued with modernism, atheism and unbelief.

Bones,

I don’t understand your rejection that Deism is the most dominant religion in America. You made the statement that it isn’t then proceded to demonstrate that it is. Could you elaborate?

CDL

40.png
GregoryPalamas:
Bones,

I don’t understand your rejection that Deism is the most dominant religion in America. You made the statement that it isn’t then proceded to demonstrate that it is. Could you elaborate?

CDL
The point I was making is that Atheism is worse than Deism. That is, believing in nothing as with an Atheist is worse that believing in God like that of a Deist.

I think I can agree with that except with an Atheist you know where he stands. I do like the lights and glitter and Christmas trees from October through December that are basically expressions of a kind of Deism. (Let’s be nice and accommodate the majority, don’t you know.) Yet as the majority slowly shifts toward Atheism the Deists will just follow suit.

It’s the mushiness that sometimes invades our Churches that I don’t like.

Dan L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back