Christmas Masses

  • Thread starter Thread starter grandeorgue
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

grandeorgue

Guest
I need to choose the responsorial psalm and music for my church’s Christmas Mass this year. The mass on Christmas Day is at 9:00 a.m. So, would the readings be for the Mass at Dawn or the Mass for During the Day. How do you know which one to use?
 
I need to choose the responsorial psalm and music for my church’s Christmas Mass this year. The mass on Christmas Day is at 9:00 a.m. So, would the readings be for the Mass at Dawn or the Mass for During the Day. How do you know which one to use?
Mass during the day.

The Mass at dawn is the “sunrise” Mass. By 9 o’clock the sun has been up for quite a while, so it’s no longer “dawn.”
 
Typically, most churches have Mass at Dawn as the first Mass in the morning on Christmas Day (not including Midnight Mass). My church used to have it as 9am (Mass at Dawn) and 11am (Mass During the Day). It depends on each parish. It would be wise to ask your Pastor what rite you will be using for the 9 am Mass.
 
There is a liturgist/priest who answers questions like this for ZENIT, and he recently clarified that yes, the Mass at Dawn should only be used for Dawn, and 9:00 am would be too late for this unless you really lived in the way Northern Hemisphere.

Google ZENIT for the response if you like.
 
There is a liturgist/priest who answers questions like this for ZENIT, and he recently clarified that yes, the Mass at Dawn should only be used for Dawn, and 9:00 am would be too late for this unless you really lived in the way Northern Hemisphere.

Google ZENIT for the response if you like.
I note that he also states
For the above reasons, I maintain that it is not liturgically correct to anticipate the celebration of the formulas of Midnight Mass to an earlier hour. At the very least, a celebration should begin at such a time that most of the Mass takes place after midnight.
I wonder if anyone told Pope Benedict XVI. He is starting the mass at St Peter’s at 10 pm :eek:
 
I need to choose the responsorial psalm and music for my church’s Christmas Mass this year. The mass on Christmas Day is at 9:00 a.m. So, would the readings be for the Mass at Dawn or the Mass for During the Day. How do you know which one to use?
You can also just ask the priest at the church where you are doing this. He’ll tell you which one to use.
 
Mass during the day.

The Mass at dawn is the “sunrise” Mass. By 9 o’clock the sun has been up for quite a while, so it’s no longer “dawn.”
I remember when the priest used to celebrate the Midnight Mass and the Mass at Dawn back to back. The first time I attended Midnight Mass I got excited when it was time for Communion since it meant that Mass would soon be over and we’d be going home to open presents.

Imagine my dismay when we didn’t leave shortly after Mass but instead a completely new Mass started (so shoot me, I was 9;)). At least at that one the only person who received Communion was the priest.
 
I note that he also states I wonder if anyone told Pope Benedict XVI. He is starting the mass at St Peter’s at 10 pm :eek:
Here’s what the Vatican website says about it:
Basilica Vaticana, ore 22 (that is, 2200 hours or 10 PM)
Il Santo Padre Benedetto XVI celebrerà la Santa Messa della Notte nella Solennità della Natività del Signore

vatican.va/news_services/liturgy/2009/documents/ns_lit_doc_20091224_notificazione_it.html

I don’t know Italian, but I’ve done some web translations (and let’s face it, it’s a single sentence), and it looks like he’s celebrating “Mass in the Night” at 10:00 PM, not “Midnight Mass”

According to my web sources, the Italian word for Midnight is mezzanotte.
 
The doors to St. Peter’s open at 10PM to those with tickets, but the Mass begins at midnight.
 
I remember when the priest used to celebrate the Midnight Mass and the Mass at Dawn back to back. The first time I attended Midnight Mass I got excited when it was time for Communion since it meant that Mass would soon be over and we’d be going home to open presents.

Imagine my dismay when we didn’t leave shortly after Mass but instead a completely new Mass started (so shoot me, I was 9;)). At least at that one the only person who received Communion was the priest.
That turned out to be one of the most positive fruits of Vatican II–restoring some sense to the liturgical times. The Easter Vigil Mass used to be celebrated on Holy Saturday morning because over time, it just kept getting earlier and earlier.
 
You can also just ask the priest at the church where you are doing this. He’ll tell you which one to use.
That’s the best advice. The responsorial needs to be from the same Mass as thre rest of the readings. My parish has never done a dawn Mass (thank goodness!) I guess it is rather much to ask to do a Mass at midnight, sleep for 3-4 hours, and start again for the day. Merry Christmans, Father?

“All I want for Christmas is my two hour sleep?”
 
Here’s what the Vatican website says about it:
Basilica Vaticana, ore 22 (that is, 2200 hours or 10 PM)
Il Santo Padre Benedetto XVI celebrerà la Santa Messa della Notte nella Solennità della Natività del Signore

vatican.va/news_services/liturgy/2009/documents/ns_lit_doc_20091224_notificazione_it.html

I don’t know Italian, but I’ve done some web translations (and let’s face it, it’s a single sentence), and it looks like he’s celebrating “Mass in the Night” at 10:00 PM, not “Midnight Mass”

According to my web sources, the Italian word for Midnight is mezzanotte.
Is there a thing called “Midnight Mass”? Aren’t the Masses of Christmas properly called “Mass During the Night”, “Mass at Dawn” and “Mass During the Day”? At least that’s what our Lectionary says.
 
Is there a thing called “Midnight Mass”? Aren’t the Masses of Christmas properly called “Mass During the Night”, “Mass at Dawn” and “Mass During the Day”? At least that’s what our Lectionary says.
In the US, it’s called “Mass at Midnight” in both the Sacramentary and Lectionary.

There is also a “Christmas Vigil” for anytime after Evening Prayer I of Christmas.

In the US, there is a total of 4 Christmas Masses: Vigil, Midnight, Dawn and Day.
 
That’s the best advice. The responsorial needs to be from the same Mass as thre rest of the readings. My parish has never done a dawn Mass (thank goodness!) I guess it is rather much to ask to do a Mass at midnight, sleep for 3-4 hours, and start again for the day. Merry Christmans, Father?

“All I want for Christmas is my two hour sleep?”
Haha! Oh gosh! I have a friend who did that for years as an organist - Midnight mass which lasts from like 10:00 (mass didn’t begin until midnight) to 2:00 in the morning, then have to be up again for 9:30 mass. I did that once and, boy, was it HARD getting my voice to wake up prior to the start of mass.
 
In the US, it’s called “Mass at Midnight” in both the Sacramentary and Lectionary.

There is also a “Christmas Vigil” for anytime after Evening Prayer I of Christmas.

In the US, there is a total of 4 Christmas Masses: Vigil, Midnight, Dawn and Day.
I have found the best source to find these names and applications are on the USCCB website under the heading “Readings.” There you will have the correct names and current readings. Our priest always gives the priest he lives with a hard time about Midnight Mass. He blames him for people calling in and asking what time Midnight Mass is. My priest is quite a trooper. He pulled a major turn around this weekend. Mananitas began at midnight. (Our Lady of Guadalupe).
 
I have found the best source to find these names and applications are on the USCCB website under the heading “Readings.” There you will have the correct names and current readings. Our priest always gives the priest he lives with a hard time about Midnight Mass. He blames him for people calling in and asking what time Midnight Mass is. My priest is quite a trooper. He pulled a major turn around this weekend. Mananitas began at midnight. (Our Lady of Guadalupe).
The whole season of Advent I keep saying “Midnight Mass will be at Midnight…and 8 o’clock Mass will be at 8 o’clock and 10 o’clock Mass will be at 10 o’clock.”

It was really funny last week because I followed that up with an announcement that the 6 o’clock Mass will be at 6:15 because I will be covering for a neighboring priest and need the extra 15 minutes travel time.

That still doesn’t stop the rectory phone from ringing off the hook “Father… ooh, were you asleep? (it’s 2:15 AM and the bars just closed) anyway, what time is Midnight Mass?” Tourists, by the way, just love to do this all year long. There’s something about leaving a bar after last call that makes tourists suddenly rememer that it’s Sunday and they don’t know the local Mass schedules.
 
In the US, it’s called “Mass at Midnight” in both the Sacramentary and Lectionary.

There is also a “Christmas Vigil” for anytime after Evening Prayer I of Christmas.

In the US, there is a total of 4 Christmas Masses: Vigil, Midnight, Dawn and Day.
Ah yes, the Vigil of the Nativity of Our Lord which, although it’s in our Sacramentary and Lectionary, seems to be a very elusive Mass in Canada – I’ve never experienced it. In fact I had a priest who though very orthodox in most things became almost apoplectic when he was asked if we were doing the Vigil Mass at 7 p.m. Christmas Eve. “Who ever heard of doing the Vigil Mass at that time? (when else???) We are doing the Mass During the Night!” I guess the rationale is that that first Mass on Christmas Eve is the one packed to the rafters with children and readings for the Vigil Mass are not conducive to rapt attention from little ones.
 
I wonder if anyone told Pope Benedict XVI. He is starting the mass at St Peter’s at 10 pm :eek:
Good point, but I believe it’s misapplied. Forgive me if you were only being humorous, but for those who might be curious about this, I continue:
  1. There is a consideration for the Holy Father’s age, and his duties on Christmas Day as well. He’s not starting at 10:00 PM because the time doesn’t matter so much, but for a much more important reason.
  2. The mass is easily going to go over midnight, as mentioned above.
  3. The Pope can do whatever he wants (as regards Canon Law, obviously not as regards Divine Law), and his example doesn’t automatically change the law for everyone else. So if he takes a liberty to start Midnight Mass earlier, that doesn’t mean other priests should … other priests should follow the rubrics and the law.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top