"Church of England could stop heating cathedrals to hit 2045 emissions target "

• Thread starter Thread starter IanM
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
We dont heat our Cathedral or Air condition it. Its too old and big.

Does it get super hot/cold?

I could deal with a cold space of worship in the winter but during the summer, that would be miserable.

There are certainly valid environmental concerns. That said: they’ve already come for planes and cows (the Green New Deal); they’re coming for our cars, and now for heat in churches; the supposed environmental impact of eating meat is often in the media. If left to themselves, the Greenies would have us back in medieval lifestyles. Fact is that wind and water power alone cannot come close to meeting even a fraction of our energy needs. And one day’s environmental impact of a coal-fired Chinese plant I suspect would offset 10 years worth of frigid British churches.

There are certainly valid environmental concerns. That said: they’ve already come for planes and cows (the Green New Deal); they’re coming for our cars, and now for heat in churches; the supposed environmental impact of eating meat is often in the media. If left to themselves, the Greenies would have us back in medieval lifestyles. Fact is that wind and water power alone cannot come close to meeting even a fraction of our energy needs. And one day’s environmental impact of a coal-fired Chinese plant I suspect would offset 10 years worth of frigid British churches.
I don’t think the math works. There’s lots and lots and lots of coal plants in China. But since power plants are the major generators of electricity, transitioning to cleaner energy is the big prize.

Anyway, yeah, better planes and better cars and better trains are important. Why wouldn’t they be?

Also, I think a 2nd ulterior motive behind becoming greener is the fact that the CoE will save money.

Last edited:
It is freezing in winter, we layer up. It is an old Cathedral, and is cool inside in summer where it can reach around 110F on the worst days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back