E
Eric2718
Guest
This is not a question but a comment.
I personally have visited other Christian churches over the years and know quite a bit about them. There are several things about the Roman Catholic church that I wish were better and that I find in these other churches is better. I’ve found local congregations where the love between the brethren was so powerful it was almost palpable. I’ve found local churches where the preaching was much better than we usually get in a Catholic parish, etc.
But in the end they all cling to one or more doctrinal errors.
Just one example:
The Catholic church is the only church of any size (and claim to universality) that does not allow divorce and re-marriage. I have sympathy for people who read the “exception” clauses of verses to mean that in the event of adultery that people are free to remarry. But on a practical / real basis the churches that allow this usually also allow remarriage for divorces that end for reasons like “irreconcilable differences”.
No wonder so many people shack up in our society rather than marry. I think the reason is partly because “marriage” now is not permanent in our society. It’s serial monagomy that over one’s lifetime may allow for 2, 3, 4 or more marriages. Since marriage is not permanent then there’s little difference between the person who has 4 marriages and the one that lives with 4 different partners over time.
Only the Catholic church holds a hard stance against this. Even the Eastern Orthodox church (for which I have considerable fondness) allows divorce and remarriage for reasons other than adultery.
It is this faithfulness to doctrine that keeps me Catholic.
Those who accuse the Church of being some sort of diabolical entity who just seeks to merge all religions, etc.: haha! The Church condemns contraception and divorce & remarriage – hardly a way to win a popularity contest!
I so admire our Church for it’s stance on doctrinal issues.
I personally have visited other Christian churches over the years and know quite a bit about them. There are several things about the Roman Catholic church that I wish were better and that I find in these other churches is better. I’ve found local congregations where the love between the brethren was so powerful it was almost palpable. I’ve found local churches where the preaching was much better than we usually get in a Catholic parish, etc.
But in the end they all cling to one or more doctrinal errors.
Just one example:
The Catholic church is the only church of any size (and claim to universality) that does not allow divorce and re-marriage. I have sympathy for people who read the “exception” clauses of verses to mean that in the event of adultery that people are free to remarry. But on a practical / real basis the churches that allow this usually also allow remarriage for divorces that end for reasons like “irreconcilable differences”.
No wonder so many people shack up in our society rather than marry. I think the reason is partly because “marriage” now is not permanent in our society. It’s serial monagomy that over one’s lifetime may allow for 2, 3, 4 or more marriages. Since marriage is not permanent then there’s little difference between the person who has 4 marriages and the one that lives with 4 different partners over time.
Only the Catholic church holds a hard stance against this. Even the Eastern Orthodox church (for which I have considerable fondness) allows divorce and remarriage for reasons other than adultery.
It is this faithfulness to doctrine that keeps me Catholic.
Those who accuse the Church of being some sort of diabolical entity who just seeks to merge all religions, etc.: haha! The Church condemns contraception and divorce & remarriage – hardly a way to win a popularity contest!
I so admire our Church for it’s stance on doctrinal issues.