Church removes Crucifix during Lent

  • Thread starter Thread starter hamburglar
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hamburglar

Guest
At Ash Wednesday Mass today, I walked into the church and was shocked to see that they had taken the Crucifix down and shone a spotlight on the empty spot, as if to highlight it and make it a big show. I’m under the impression that it is a requirement that a Crucifix be present in the church, or more specifically, the Sanctuary. Am I right, and if so, where are the documents to back this up?
 
I have at times seen the Crucifix completely covered in a drape at times during Lent, but I haven’t seen it removed entirely. But I don’t know anything about the rules regarding Lent and the Crucifix.
 
Hi Hamburglar…
Code:
 Happy Ash Wednesday to You.. Like Sliver Spring I have seen the Crucifix covered with a purple gauze cloth in the Epicopal Church, of which I was a member before my conversion, but don't recall the Crucifix being removed at the Catholic church where I was confirmed.   

 Your question is a valid one..wish I had the answer for You.  I hope it can be answered soonl Maybe someone over in Catholic Traditions can give you a firm answer on it !!  

  God bless and have great Lenten Season !!!!  :)
 
Could it have been taken down for painting or cleaning or something?

OTOH, removing it versus covering it - comes to the same thing, I’d have thought.
 
At Ash Wednesday Mass today, I walked into the church and was shocked to see that they had taken the Crucifix down and shone a spotlight on the empty spot, as if to highlight it and make it a big show. I’m under the impression that it is a requirement that a Crucifix be present in the church, or more specifically, the Sanctuary. Am I right, and if so, where are the documents to back this up?
There’s no laws in the Church saying that the Crucifix in the Church should be removed anytime during Lent with the exception of Good Friday.

On Good Friday the Crucifix is veiled.
According to the Sacramentary, “The practice of covering crosses and images in the church may be observed, if the episcopal conference decides. The crosses are to be covered until the end of the celebration of the Lord’s passion on Good Friday. Images are to remain covered until the beginning of the Easter vigil.”
This statement allows the veiling of statues and crucifixes if the Episcopal conference votes in favor of the practice. In a 1995 issue of the Bishop’s Committee on the Liturgy Newsletter (official publication for the liturgical committee of the United States), it was stated that the US bishops had never voted on this provision so in the United States at least, this practice is not to be done.
The Sacramentary also states that following the Holy Thursday Mass “the altar is stripped and, if possible, the crosses are removed from the church. It is desirable to cover any crosses which remain in the church.”
In 1988 the Sacred Congregation for Divine Worship issued Paschale Solemnitatis, a new document on the Easter feasts. According to this document, “It is fitting that any crosses in the church be covered with a red or purple veil, unless they have already been veiled on the Saturday before the fifth Sunday of Lent.” (n. 57)
This leaves the decision to cover the crucifixes in the church up to the individual parishes but strongly encourages this tradition.
Even though the veiling of crucifixes is highly recommended and not mandatory, it does not make liturgical sense to have the unveiling of the crucifix on Good Friday if the crucifixes were never covered in the first place.
According to the Ceremonial of Bishops, there are two forms of veneration for Good Friday. The first is the one most often seen where the crucifix is unveiled in steps. The second form is a procession from the church entrance to the sanctuary with an unveiled crucifix. This would be the proper form to use if the crucifixes in the church had never been veiled.
 
To the OP:

GIRM 117:
Also on or close to the altar, there is to be a cross with a figure of Christ crucified.

Yes, there should always be a crucifix present during the celebration of the Mass.
 
In my parish the crucifix is covered during lent and a wooden cross with a “crown of thorns” is put on display instead.

During this lirturgical season we are preparing for the crucifixion so it makes sense to me that since christ has not yet been crucified, that the cross be covered.

As to the spotlight, there is always a spotlight on the crucifix at my parish and I bet it is the same at yours. It is just more noticible since that spot is now empty
 
In the traditional times the crucifixes were covered by veil in Passion time (from the 5th Sunday of Lent till Easter). The covering was removed from one crucifix, for the Adoration of the Cross in Good Friday.

In some churches also images, statues were covered in passion time.

There was one cross w/o crucifix after the Good Friday Liturgy till the Holy Saturday Mass.
 
The ORDO for my diocese, Orange CA, states:
In the dioceses of the United States, crosses in the church may be covered from the conclusion of the Mass for the Saturday of the Fourth Week of Lent until the end of the Celebration of the Lord’s Passion on Good Friday. Images in the church may be covered from the conclusion of the Mass for Saturday of the Fourth Week of Lent until the beginning of the Easter Vigil.
Note it says “may” not “must”. Our parish doesn’t do it; I haven’t had occasion to visit other parishes during that period. I don’t recall anyone ever pushing it at the Liturgy Committee meetings.
 
I know the traditions for Passiontide. This isn’t Passiontide. My question is this: must there be a crucifix present in the sanctuary of the church? Please show me documents.
 
I know the traditions for Passiontide. This isn’t Passiontide. My question is this: must there be a crucifix present in the sanctuary of the church? Please show me documents.
TheMC did that in his post, I copied it for you below -
To the OP:

GIRM 117:
Also on or close to the altar, there is to be a cross with a figure of Christ crucified.

Yes, there should always be a crucifix present during the celebration of the Mass.
 
… I’m under the impression that it is a requirement that a Crucifix be present in the church, or more specifically, the Sanctuary. Am I right, and if so, where are the documents to back this up?
From the 2002 General Instruction of the Roman Missal (GIRM) approved for the USA, which can be accessed from romanrite.com/girm.html :
“122. On reaching the altar, the priest and ministers make a profound bow.
The cross adorned with a figure of Christ crucified and perhaps carried in procession may be placed next to the altar to serve as the altar cross, in which case it ought to be the only cross used; otherwise it is put away in a dignified place.”

So it is not a requirement to have a crucifix permanently in the church. Instead a crucifix can be carried in at the entrance procession, just for the Mass.

In this case it seems someone is incorrectly applying the instructions for the Saturday of the Fourth Week of Lent (this year Saturday 9 April 2011). From the Roman Missal:
“The practice of covering crosses and images in the church may be observed, if the episcopal conference decides. The crosses are to remain covered until the end of the celebration of the Lord’s passion on Good Friday. Images are to remain covered until the beginning of the Easter Vigil.” (Roman Missal, Catholic Book Publishing Co., New York, 1985, page 113.)

At the end of the Holy Thursday Mass (21 April 2011) the rubrics are:
“Then the altar is stripped and, if possible, the crosses are removed from the church. It is desirable to cover any crosses which remain in the church.” (Roman Missal, Catholic Book Publishing Co., New York, 1985, page 139.)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top