Churches and their names

• Thread starter Thread starter potterygirl
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

potterygirl

Okay as a recent convert, I have started to notice every church on the corner regardless of the type and with doing so I have noticed the names.

One that I didn’t understand was St. Matthew Baptist Church. I thought this was odd bc I thought only Catholic Churches canonize (sp?) saints or recognize saints??? I am confused but then I started noticing more methodist churches with St. so and so on signs.

And then I saw a baptist church named Avalon Baptist. Wasn’t Avalon the sacred space for Merlin (the wizard) and Morganne LaFey (sp?) that was supposed to be a myth???

Thanks in advance!

I think that the reference to St Matthew is more from tradition than doctrine. I’ve seen St John Baptist, St Luke, etc. That is my take on that. As far as Avalon goes, it is from mythology. It is also used to refer to England itself. And they say we can’t have a chuch based in ROme…

Actually, I have seen a St. Peter’s Baptist Church. But you are correct, few churches besides catholic or anglican/episcopal use saints names.

The history of my parish began late in the nineteenth century when St. Patrick’s was built close to the town center. Within a few years an order of Nuns bought land, erected a school and requested that the church almost a mile away be moved across the street. A tornado had done some damage and the move was made.
Code:
 In a very few years, the wooden frame building was replaced with a larger brick structure, and the original Irish majority was also replaced with parishoners from Germany.  The founding members were ready for their new Saint Patrick Catholic Church; the more numerous German population suggested Saint Stanislaus as a fitting name for their church and the fight was on.

The name conflict was settled when Bishop Lynch of he Diocese of Dallas and Ft Worth mandated Sacred Heart as the name of our Parish.
For the differences in the antual story taking pages to tell told in three paragraphs, my apologies are sent.:o

I am a parishoner at the Cathedral of St. Paul in St. Paul, MN, and while I do not know exactly how those in charge arrived at naming the Cathedral after St. Paul, I do know that it was the Cathedral itself that gave us the city of “St. Paul” and not the city of “Pig’s Eye”

Yes–the settlement that is now known as St. Paul was originally called Pig’s Eye!! I’m not kidding! Named after the Mississippi River trader that first settled here, who was known as “Pig’s Eye”…

Just think, were it not for the legions of devoted Catholics who founded our beloved Cathedral back in the late 1800s, we would today have the Twin Cities of Minneapolis and Pig’s Eye!! LOL

Check out
cathedralsaintpaul.org/about/history.asp
if you don’t believe me 🙂

Blessings,

+veritas+

Pigs Eye? Can you imagine having to put that as the city on a return address???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back