Churches in Atlanta with altar rails

  • Thread starter Thread starter Luvadoxi
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Luvadoxi

Guest
I’m looking for a church that has and uses altar rails. Ordinary form, please; I know about St. Francis de Sales. But ideally I’d like to find a church on the east side, near Athens. I’d like to kneel to receive Communion, but as it is, if I tried that, I’d have a hard time getting up and I’d hold everyone else up; plus, I don’t want to stand out–I just want to receive Communion kneeling. We did this in our Lutheran church and I much prefer it.

Thanks for any suggestions!
 
I’m looking for a church that has and uses altar rails. Ordinary form, please; I know about St. Francis de Sales. But ideally I’d like to find a church on the east side, near Athens. I’d like to kneel to receive Communion, but as it is, if I tried that, I’d have a hard time getting up and I’d hold everyone else up; plus, I don’t want to stand out–I just want to receive Communion kneeling. We did this in our Lutheran church and I much prefer it.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Athens TN or Athens GA?? I live in Athens TN

My Chruch unfortunately is quite modern and there are no rails at all
 
Oh, sorry–I live in Athens, GA. (A lot of Athens-es…there’s an Athens, Texas, too!)
 
The Cathedral of Christ the King in Atlanta has communion rails. Even if you find a church with communion rails closer to you, they likely are not used, so where would that leave you?
 
Even if you find a church with communion rails closer to you, they likely are not used, so where would that leave you?
The parish were I attend mass with my Catholic wife is an old, traditional church. It has a beautiful altar, an old fashioned pulpit (or whatever it’s called) where the priest looks down on the people, and an altar rail made of stone. I’ve never seen any of these items used. (Except for the tabernacle on the altar.) Thankfully, it is a poor parish. If they had the money, they’d probably have it all ripped out. 😦
 
Thank you for the suggestions and comments so far. Do you know if they use the communion rail during Mass at the Cathedral in Atlanta?
 
Thank you for the suggestions and comments so far. Do you know if they use the communion rail during Mass at the Cathedral in Atlanta?
No, they don’t, except for the occasional special event EF Mass that may be celebrated there by a priest from St. Francis de Sales. That was precisely my earlier point: Other than St. Francis de Sales, which you categorically dismissed, none of the very few parishes that have communion rails generally uses them. Therefore, simply knowing the names and locations of those parishes does nothing for you, since they all receive communion standing in line. The rails remain there for aesthetic purposes only. I expect that we will gradually see them used more over the next several years, probably only occasionally at first, but that does not change the present reality.
 
Just for aesthetic purposes, here is the sanctuary at St. Francis de Sales in Mableton.
 
Well…yes…but “categorically reject” makes it sound like I was really negative about the extraordinary form, and I’m not at all. I may indeed go to St. Francis de Sales, and it does look beautiful, but at the moment I’m trying to find out about ordinary form parishes. Also, I was hoping to find a church nearer to where I live.

Anyway, good news on this front! I heard from St. Patrick’s in Norcross–they say they have communion at the altar rail for every mass–yea! They say it might change when the new pastor arrives; but for now, there’s communion at the altar rail.

I’m happy. 🙂 Thanks to everyone for your answers. If you hear of any more, report back–I think a lot of people might be interested.

God bless!👍
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top