Cleaning church services of the tetragrammaton

  • Thread starter Thread starter Cashue
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cashue

Guest
I have just read this commentary on removing God’s name from church services.

This is a wonderful move! I hope everyone respects this guideline so eventually YAHWEH is never mentioned in our prayers, songs or services, or worship. This way all members of the Holy Catholics Church can one day show proper respect for God in line with church tradition by never mentioning the name.

My quesiton is, how long do you think before this directive is applied everywhere?

here is the link
communio.stblogs.org/2008/08/on-the-use-of-the-name-of-god.html
 
I find it a bit odd that you would use the name while advocating not using the name.

The tradition of not saying it is not the law. It was built up around the law by the Jews who built law on law. It is part of the whole structure of additional burden that the Pharisees laid upon themselves and others.

It certainly was not part of the earliest father’s intent to lay that burden on gentiles in the church, since it is not part of their decision at Jerusalem in how to integrate gentiles into the church.

The intent of the law is that you not trivialize God. You should not use his name or even euphemisms for his name as swear words, or as a binder on an idle oath. The heart is the same if you say “Gosh darn”

There is no justification in not breaking an invented law, nor in not breaking a real law. The law never justifies, it only condemns.

Why not get rid of murder in church. Jesus said if you are angry you are guilty of murder. How many people are angry in church? How many lust in church, or covet another’s clothes or car?

God sees the heart.
 
I find it a bit odd that you would use the name while advocating not using the name.
Touché 😃
It certainly was not part of the earliest father’s intent to lay that burden on gentiles in the church, since it is not part of their decision at Jerusalem in how to integrate gentiles into the church…
The intent of the law is that you not trivialize God…

Why not get rid of murder in church. Jesus said if you are angry you are guilty of murder. How many people are angry in church? How many lust in church, or covet another’s clothes or car?

God sees the heart.
I agree.
 
I find it a bit odd that you would use the name while advocating not using the name.

The intent of the law is that you not trivialize God. You should not use his name
Yes, thank you you are right I was very wrong to make mention of the name, I hope the Lord will forgive me, I was just trying to highlight that the name must not be uttered. But I understand it must never be written or read either.

Thank you for your guidance, I appreciate the councel.

God Bless,
Cashue
 
By clipping my post you mischaracterize what I said.
The intent of the law is that you not trivialize God. You should not use his name or even euphemisms for his name as swear words, or as a binder on an idle oath. The heart is the same if you say “Gosh darn”
and you missed my point. You trivialize God by making his name a magical word. Not by saying YAHWEH or writing it.

If you wish to properly reverence God, then love Him and love your neighbor. You wouldn’t love your neighbor by never saying his name. You would call him by name.

But you wouldn’t use his name as a swear word or in a derogatory manner.
 
Besides. YAHWEH isn’t his name. Moses asked for his name and didn’t get it. He was told to simply say that God is the self-existent one, the YAHWEH. His name is Jesus. Jesus also said that he was the YAHWEH.

But God never said, “My name is YAHWEH, never say or write it.” What would be the point?
 
By clipping my post you mischaracterize what I said.

and you missed my point. You trivialize God by making his name a magical word. Not by saying YAHWEH or writing it.

If you wish to properly reverence God, then love Him and love your neighbor. You wouldn’t love your neighbor by never saying his name. You would call him by name.

But you wouldn’t use his name as a swear word or in a derogatory manner.
NO! It is the Holy Churches directive, we must not use it the XXXX in prayer, services or song. It is also disrespectful to mention it (for example in a bible discusssion) and it should not be written in full because this is disrespectful to do so.

The Divine name is too holy to mention (or type or write) and must be replaced with GOD or LORD.
 
I can’t find in either Jewish or Gentile writings where God ever gave us His Name.🤷
 
I have just read this commentary on removing God’s name from church services.

This is a wonderful move! I hope everyone respects this guideline so eventually YAHWEH is never mentioned in our prayers, songs or services, or worship. This way all members of the Holy Catholics Church can one day show proper respect for God in line with church tradition by never mentioning the name.

My quesiton is, how long do you think before this directive is applied everywhere?

here is the link
communio.stblogs.org/2008/08/on-the-use-of-the-name-of-god.html
Welcome to August 2008. 😉

Here’s the Zenit article about the CDWDS directive. It goes into a bit more detail:

zenit.org/article-23414?l=english

Basically, the only thing this affected was about three of the American hymns that have become popular in the past 40 years. OCP already made the changes in their hymnals and missalettes. They didn’t have time to change their 2009 hymnals, but the 2010 ones have the changes. (Thus, “Yahweh, I Know You Are Near” is now “Oh Lord, I Know You Are Near”, etc.)
 
Welcome to August 2008. 😉

Here’s the Zenit article about the CDWDS directive. It goes into a bit more detail:

zenit.org/article-23414?l=english

Basically, the only thing this affected was about three of the American hymns that have become popular in the past 40 years. OCP already made the changes in their hymnals and missalettes. They didn’t have time to change their 2009 hymnals, but the 2010 ones have the changes. (Thus, “Yahweh, I Know You Are Near” is now “Oh Lord, I Know You Are Near”, etc.)
Thank you SO much. I am very pleased with the move as it seems “from the beginning, that the sacred tetragrammaton was never pronounced in the Christian context” so this name never had a place in christian worship and rightly is being rooted out of the hymnals. I don’t think you should have typed Y****h though, because as it was pointed out to me earlier on in the thread it is not right to use the word in this context.

Thank you again for the link it helped to clarify that the tetragramaton wasn’t really an important part of our hymns anyway and this is just taking it out of the last few songs and prayers where it might have lingered.

God Bless you,
Cashue

ps. I know I’m out of date, I apologise if my question is inappropriate.
 
Forgive me if this sews dissent, but I think removing The Name from our Liturgy might be best. I mean when St. Paul was “caught up as high as third heaven” he heard words that “were too sacred to be uttered by man”. If he heard words we cannot utter, what business do we have speaking The Name (unless perhaps explaining it to someone who has never heard it or when it cannot be avoided), and even then with great reverence)?
 
Btw, on an almost seemingly unrelated note, if anyone saw James Cameron’s Avatar you know the Na’Vi worship a deity they call Eywa. Reverse the syllables and you get…

Gotta be an intentional rip off.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top