Commentaries on St. Paul's Letters

  • Thread starter Thread starter COPLAND_3
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

COPLAND_3

Guest
I am studying the PEs at present.

I am not so happy with Fiore’s Commentary, as he holds Paul is not the author. Knight’s (NIGTC) is preferable, but it is a bit too detailed for general reading.
 
Yeah, I’m very particular about what commentaries I provide, I stay with traditional Catholic thinking commentaries, Church Fathers, Medieval commentators, etc.
 
Copland 3
I gather you do stick with Catholic Commentaries, but are they always the best?

Many Catholics might disagree with Luke Timothy Johnson, Raymond Brown or John Pilch and agree with non-Catholic scholars.
 
Copland 3
I gather you do stick with Catholic Commentaries, but are they always the best?

Many Catholics might disagree with Luke Timothy Johnson, Raymond Brown or John Pilch and agree with non-Catholic scholars.
I am not aware of those commentators that you mentioned. In my personal opinion, those commentators who would be considered liberal are no more valuable to me than a liberal protestant commentator, perhaps worse because their positions don’t reflect traditional Catholic thought and can be misunderstood by some to be mainstream Catholic thought when in fact it is not. So the anwer to your question is no, not all Catholic commentaries are always the best, but the best commentaries are Catholic.
 
Copland 3,

many thanks for all you replies to my queries. I appreciate your expertise.

However I am surprised you are unfamiliar with Raymond Brown, as he was one of the foremost Catholic biblical scholars of recent time. He was one of three editors of the NJBC, and his Introduction to the NT is a standard reference here in Ireland.

However there was a controversy about him in US Catholic circles, led by George Kelly, especially before his appointment as a member of the Pontifical Biblical Commission.

Being a Catholic or a Protestant does not make one a good scholar.

I consider one should be open to all commentaries and discern.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top