Comments on "Passion of Joan of Arc"?

• Thread starter Thread starter VociMike
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
V

VociMike

I have just learned of the existence of this 1928 movie through listening to the oratorio written in the 1990s to accompany it (“Voices of Light”), and have not yet seen the movie. The music is stunning, and doing a bit of research I see that both the movie and the music are highly acclaimed. I’m just wondering if anybody here has seen the movie (with or without the accompanying oratorio), and what they thought of it (and the music, if they heard that as well).

40.png
VociMike:
I have just learned of the existence of this 1928 movie through listening to the oratorio written in the 1990s to accompany it (“Voices of Light”), and have not yet seen the movie. The music is stunning, and doing a bit of research I see that both the movie and the music are highly acclaimed. I’m just wondering if anybody here has seen the movie (with or without the accompanying oratorio), and what they thought of it (and the music, if they heard that as well).
I saw the movie once about 10 years ago. I thought the movie was very moving. That’s about all I remembered. Since I have heard of the “Voices of Light” I have been wanting to see it again.

Is is a silent movie with the music played in the background? I have not seen it but am curious to learn more about it.

I also thought that Chesterton wrote a book on Joan of Arc, but could not find it any where. Maybe I was misinformed. I am always looking for credible information on her as she was my youngest sister’s patron saint for confirmation, and my sister is moving away formt he church.

Yes, it’s a silent movie, made in 1928 and thought lost due to multiple fires. Apparently they found a copy in the closet of a Norwegian mental institution in 1981 and digitally restored it, and that’s the copy that’s available. The music was written in the 1990s. It’s an oratorio, using solo singers, chorus and orchestra. I discovered it when looking for some music by Anonymous 4, who are used to represent Joan’s voice in the music.

As I said, I have not seen the movie, but it is on the Vatican’s list of Important Films. Also, www.decentfilms.com gives it its highest possible ratings in all categories (A+ overall, 4 stars for artistic value, +2 for moral and spiritual value). You might also want to read some of the reviews of the music and the movie on www.amazon.com.

Based on what I’ve heard and read, this may be just what the doctor (the Spirit 🙂 ) ordered to help bring your sister back into the fold. Maybe that’s why I was prompted to ask about it here…

I am a fan of silent film. That being said, I found this movie to be way overhyped. It was boring and too minimilist in its approach to set design. I didnt like it at all. I much perfer the very well made tv movie Joan of Arc starring Leelee Sobieski. I have also seen The Messenger and found that to be boring and not very religious at all…it portrays Joan as more of a nut than a woman on a mission from God.

I loved this movie…I thought that it did an extraordinary job of evoking the kind of claustraphobia & fear that she must have experienced being locked away, & I found it deeply moving. A remarkable film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back