Comments on the USCCB fall conference

• Thread starter Thread starter T.A.Stobie_SFO
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

T.A.Stobie_SFO

EWTN TV is giving live coverage to the session this week.

I created this topic so people could exchange their opinions of what is going on.

They talked about Priorities with regard to projects and how many projects in the past have gotten funded even though they were did not meet with the priorities.

I was disappointed not to hear about ways of approving things developed in individual dioceses that could be used for the whole country. This would save a lot of money and give the bishops additional voice.

The system by which the bishops’ conference operates is such that it really isn’t all that interesting or insightful to follow. Sometimes an interesting intervention comes forward or things get so convoluted taht they need to remand their plan to committee. All the important details really get worked out beforehand (they are just voting on whether to accept and discard certain proposed amendments) and behind closed doors. I’ve all but given up watching.

The nation’s Catholic bishops today elected Bishop William S. Skylstad of Spokane to a three-year term as president of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB). He will be the thirteenth president of the Catholic bishops since the Second Vatican Council (1962-1965).

usccb.org/comm/archives/2004/04-230.htm

Maria

T.A.Stobie:
They talked about Priorities with regard to projects and how many projects in the past have gotten funded even though they were did not meet with the priorities.

I was disappointed not to hear about ways of approving things developed in individual dioceses that could be used for the whole country. This would save a lot of money and give the bishops additional voice.
Has anyone discused yet the possibiility of their affiliation with the ecumenical group Christian Churches Together in the U.S.A.?

It’s on the agenda but I haven’t heard anything yet.

As of now it hasn’t come up.
40.png
HagiaSophia:
Has anyone discused yet the possibiility of their affiliation with the ecumenical group Christian Churches Together in the U.S.A.?

It’s on the agenda but I haven’t heard anything yet.

I was very sad to see that the bishops could not even agree to support the Vatican’s statements on this issue.

They tabled discussion due to the wide disagreement among the body.

The nation’s Roman Catholic bishops voted Wednesday to join a new alliance that would be the broadest Christian group ever formed in the United States, linking American evangelicals and Catholics in an ecumenical organization for the first time.

What horror.

Even the Protestants, who are not part of the body of Christ, have more sense than we are:

*The Catholic Church has ongoing ecumenical dialogues with many denominations. However, some evangelical and Pentecostal churches have resisted participating. In the floor debate Wednesday, New York Cardinal Edward Egan noted those churches were worried that such talks risked “watering down their faith.”

In fact, the evangelical Southern Baptist Convention, which has more than 16 million members and is the largest Protestant denomination in the country, has so far not agreed to fully join Christian Churches Together. *

40.png
beng:
%between%
Even the Protestants, who are not part of the body of Christ, have more sense than we are:

The Catholic Church has ongoing ecumenical dialogues with many denominations. However, some evangelical and Pentecostal churches have resisted participating. In the floor debate Wednesday, New York Cardinal Edward Egan noted those churches were worried that such talks risked “watering down their faith.”

*In fact, the evangelical Southern Baptist Convention, which has more than 16 million members and is the largest Protestant denomination in the country, has so far not agreed to fully join Christian Churches Together. *
Does anyone know what is in it for Catholics? I read the article and it seemed pretty nebulous…we’ll pray together…blah blah.

I’ve been trying to watch bits and pieces of the conference when I am home. I was impressed that there seems to be a new emphasis on marriage and the family (that was part of this morning’s session) and I did see a portion on the audits for the priest abuse issue.

I am becoming a Catholic to AVOID the watered down faith of mainline Prots.

Lisa N

Lisa N:
I am becoming a Catholic to AVOID the watered down faith of mainline Prots.

Lisa N
That’s very noble and I commend you on that. Hang tight. There would be alot of watering down even in the Catholic Church. To armour yourself, keep the faith of Mat 16:18. And make example of St Athanasius’ courage. He’s the one man who stand against the world (Hence the saying “Athanasius contra mundi” or “Athanasius against the world”). He’s the one who hold and preach the true faith when 80% of Catholic Bishops (when all Church were Catholic) believe in Arian heresy.

You’re not totally alone on this.

40.png
beng:
That’s very noble and I commend you on that. Hang tight. There would be alot of watering down even in the Catholic Church. To armour yourself, keep the faith of Mat 16:18. And make example of St Athanasius’ courage. He’s the one man who stand against the world (Hence the saying “Athanasius contra mundi” or “Athanasius against the world”). He’s the one who hold and preach the true faith when 80% of Catholic Bishops (when all Church were Catholic) believe in Arian heresy.

You’re not totally alone on this.
Thank you so much for the response and the reference to Mat 16:18. Funny when I told my Prot minister why I was leaving for the Catholic church he said were he younger and in a different situation he might convert as well. He agrees that the mainline Prots are equivocating on very important issues and trying to be too politically correct. I agree! Thank you again.

Lisa N

Ugh, what’s even worse IMHO, is that Bishop Trautman of Erie was elected (in an unprecendented fashion, I might add) to head up the USCCB office on Liturgy. For those who don’t know, Trautman is a major proponent of all that inclusive language baloney, not to mention liturgical innovations. For those of you waiting for the new ICEL translation of the missal, don’t hold your breaths. I also wouldn’t be surprised to see some sort of showdown with him and Cardinal Arinze. Lord, help us!

40.png
mtr01:
Ugh, what’s even worse IMHO, is that Bishop Trautman of Erie was elected (in an unprecendented fashion, I might add) to head up the USCCB office on Liturgy. For those who don’t know, Trautman is a major proponent of all that inclusive language baloney, not to mention liturgical innovations. For those of you waiting for the new ICEL translation of the missal, don’t hold your breaths. I also wouldn’t be surprised to see some sort of showdown with him and Cardinal Arinze. Lord, help us!
When I saw that I nearly fell out of the chair: when they finally dropped ICEL he pouted and fussed and then insisted that the bishops make sure they obtained the copywrights on it, (like who’d want it?) - very, very disappointing choice.

T.A.Stobie:
I was very sad to see that the bishops could not even agree to support the Vatican’s statements on this issue.

They tabled discussion due to the wide disagreement among the body.
Did you read the part of their statement about not issuing the statement on urging more scripture studies. Tabled it because they said it would cost too much money. Frankly, I’d be happier if theyjust met less and did more.

40.png
HagiaSophia:
Did you read the part of their statement about not issuing the statement on urging more scripture studies. Tabled it because they said it would cost too much money. Frankly, I’d be happier if theyjust met less and did more.
I heard the debate. It was sent back to the Policy committee to see if it follows the new Policies they agreed to earlier this week.

I think they would be better off for some documents of letting individual and groups of diocese develop them and then submit for general approval for use in all US dioceses.

New U.S. leader: Catholic bishops have had it rough
By Cathy Lynn Grossman, USA TODAY
WASHINGTON, D.C. — Bishop William Skylstad of Spokane, Wash., in his first public statement Wednesday as head of the Roman Catholic Church’s U.S. leadership, sidestepped two fractious issues — whether Catholic politicians who publicly dissent from church teachings on abortion should be offered Communion and the cost of the child sexual-abuse crisis.
Skylstad is named in several lawsuits that accuse his Spokane Diocese of covering up abuse of children by some priests.
By Stephen Boitano, AP

Skylstad was elected head of the bishops group just days after announcing his diocese would file for bankruptcy to preserve assets in the face of potential multimillion-dollar claims by 125 alleged victims of sexual abuse by priests. Spokane will be the third diocese to file for bankruptcy in the crisis, which has cost $772 million nationwide.

Acknowledging “tension” between his responsibilities to his diocese and his role as leader of the bishops’ group, Skylstad said, “It’s been a tough time for bishops, honestly, a very tough time.”

He steps into the job just as unity among the bishops has been under severe attack by vocal pro-life Catholic groups insisting that the bishops publicly refuse Communion to Catholic politicians who dissent from church teachings on abortion. Several bishops drew headlines saying they would refuse to give Communion to presidential candidate Sen. John Kerry.

Skylstad said he would hold to a June agreement that bishops’ decisions on this should be private, pastoral and independent.

usatoday.com/news/religion/2004-11-17-skylstad-usat_x.htm

“Now that the election is over,” bishops should unify for common concerns over a spectrum of values, not just the single issue of abortion, said Washington D.C. Cardinal Theodore McCarrick, who heads a task force on the issue.

The bishops also agreed to:

• Join a new ecumenical group intended as a forum for Catholics, evangelicals and other Protestants. It will operate by consensus to provide a common voice of faith on issues in the culture. However, the largest non-Catholic denomination, the Southern Baptist Convention, and the fast-growing Assemblies of God have declined to join.

• Undertake a two-year teaching and pastoral push to promote the Catholic understanding of marriage. It is aimed within the church, where the number of Catholics married by a priest has fallen 48% since 1984, and to a wider society battling over gay marriage and confronted with “an impoverished concept of love,” said Bishop J. Kevin Boland of Savannah, Ga.

• Repeat in 2005 the audit of all 196 dioceses’ compliance with the church’s national policy on preventing and reporting sexual abuse of minors and removing credibly accused priests from ministry. They also approved collecting data on reports of abuse to determine whether outreach and prevention procedures are working. The $39,000 project will be underwritten by an anonymous private donor.

usatoday.com/news/religion/2004-11-17-skylstad-usat_x.htm

We have no right to judge a priest. Even when he’s in error. When a priest falls he drags down many souls with him. The priesthood is a trail for them they are tempted by the devil just like we are. They’re human beings. Support them!

Padre Pio “Don’t worry, work and pray.”

40.png
mtr01:
Yes, both this and joining the CCT are disasters. It is long past time that the NCCB should be dissolved. We need to go back to the individual bishops leading and of having council when neccessary only.

40.png
bones_IV:
We have no right to judge a priest. Even when he’s in error. When a priest falls he drags down many souls with him. The priesthood is a trail for them they are tempted by the devil just like we are. They’re human beings. Support them!

Padre Pio “Don’t worry, work and pray.”
One has to judge whether a priest or bishop is leading one to Heaven or to Hell. Not to judge would likely lead to one committing eternal suicide. Additionally, there is a very real possibility of part of the Church in the U.S. going into schism. Many of our bishops seem to have no love and no need for Rome. One has to be vigilant to guard one’s salvation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back