Communion after divorce

  • Thread starter Thread starter fourstars
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fourstars

Guest
I really need some advice.
I am a divorced catholic and I have re-married many years ago. I have always received communion as it never even entered my head that I couldn’t. My 1st husband treated me in an awful way and my conscience is clear and god knows. It has only been after a conversation with an old lady today and then finding the information on here that I now know I should NOT of been receiving this sacrament. I just don’t know what to do now and feel absolutely awful. What should I do. Obviously I will not receive communion again but I just feel wrong.
Please help
 
You should look into getting your first marriage annulled. Talk to your priest, and he will be able to guide you.
 
If you were unaware that you should not have been taking communion, then you do not fulfil the conditions for mortal sin (ie. full awareness).
A friend of my mother’s who took me to church was also divorced and re-married and did not take communion, but a while ago she began seeking an annulment for her first marriage. This is really the best course of action I can recommend.
 
I really need some advice.
I am a divorced catholic and I have re-married many years ago. I have always received communion as it never even entered my head that I couldn’t. My 1st husband treated me in an awful way and my conscience is clear and god knows. It has only been after a conversation with an old lady today and then finding the information on here that I now know I should NOT of been receiving this sacrament. I just don’t know what to do now and feel absolutely awful. What should I do. Obviously I will not receive communion again but I just feel wrong.
Please help
Talk to your priest or deacon first!
 
I really need some advice.
I am a divorced catholic and I have re-married many years ago. I have always received communion as it never even entered my head that I couldn’t. My 1st husband treated me in an awful way and my conscience is clear and god knows. It has only been after a conversation with an old lady today and then finding the information on here that I now know I should NOT of been receiving this sacrament. I just don’t know what to do now and feel absolutely awful. What should I do. Obviously I will not receive communion again but I just feel wrong.
Please help
maybe, maybe not. See your priest today and see if there is anything that needs to be rectified. It has been a long time, you can look at the circumstances surrounding the first marriage (baptismal status of both, lack of form etc). In the first place you did not sin in receiving communion because you just did not know. The sooner you see your priest and get some direction and peace of mind the easier you will be. Most of these cases are much simpler to resolve than they appear on the surface. In the time being when you can’t receive communion, make a prayer of spiritual communion and offer the sacrifice up for those who cannot approach the Lord due to persecution or lack of priest.
 
First, you didn’t know so you did not intentionally take the Sacrament in a state of sin. You should make an appointment with your priest and see if you are eligible to get a decree of nullity from your first marriage. If this happens this will allow you to have your second marriage convalidated and then you will be able to receive Eucharist. God bless you and keep you.
 
Was your second marriage in the church and was it to another Catholic or Christian.I am asking this question as this issue of whether you could have married again in theChurch or outside the church should have cropped up at the time of your second marriage
 
Hi there,
I would make an appointment to go and talk to your parish priest. He would be the one to best consider your situation. As far as prior Communion reception, this would not be considered a sin from what you have told us as you did not consider it to be so at the time.

God Bless.
 
From the Catechism of the Catholic Church:

1650 Today there are numerous Catholics in many countries who have recourse to civil divorce and contract new civil unions. In fidelity to the words of Jesus Christ - "Whoever divorces his wife and marries another, commits adultery against her; and if she divorces her husband and marries another, she commits adultery"158 The Church maintains that a new union cannot be recognized as valid, if the first marriage was. If the divorced are remarried civilly, they find themselves in a situation that objectively contravenes God’s law. Consequently, they cannot receive Eucharistic communion as long as this situation persists. For the same reason, they cannot exercise certain ecclesial responsibilities. Reconciliation through the sacrament of Penance can be granted only to those who have repented for having violated the sign of the covenant and of fidelity to Christ, and who are committed to living in complete continence.

1651 Toward Christians who live in this situation, and who often keep the faith and desire to bring up their children in a Christian manner, priests and the whole community must manifest an attentive solicitude, so that they do not consider themselves separated from the Church, in whose life they can and must participate as baptized persons:

They should be encouraged to listen to the Word of God, to attend the Sacrifice of the Mass, to persevere in prayer, to contribute to works of charity and to community efforts for justice, to bring up their children in the Christian faith, to cultivate the spirit and practice of penance and thus implore, day by day, God’s grace.159

Goto the Church…to your pastor and seek to have your marriage looked into. It may have been invalid…in which case the Church can investigate this and declare such…and if the other person is free to marry…you may have your current legal marriage made into a valid marriage.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top