Communion in the hand particles on the floor

• Thread starter Thread starter CHAZER2222
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CHAZER2222

It has been brought to my attention the fact that communion in the had leaves particles of the Eucharist on people’s hands, and therefore on the floor of the Church. What is everyone’s stance on entering these churches for private prayer when there may be particles on the floor that we may step on?

It has been brought to my attention the fact that communion in the had leaves particles of the Eucharist on people’s hands, and therefore on the floor of the Church.
There is no evidence of this. Brought to your attention by whom?
What is everyone’s stance on entering these churches for private prayer when there may be particles on the floor that we may step on?
If you have a scrupulosity problem talk to your priest about it. Because I don’t know anyone who is worried about stepping on imaginary particles of the Eucharist.

Communion in the hand does NOT result in the Eucharist on the floor of the Church or anywhere else.

A few years ago at the local RC church near me (they’re in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia), the priest wrote in the weekly bulletin about how Hosts were being found in the pews, in the missalettes and on the floor 😫😱! He wrote that this is not how Our Lord should be treated. I saved the bulletin so if I find it I’ll post an excerpt (if that’s OK).

It has been brought to my attention the fact that communion in the had leaves particles of the Eucharist on people’s hands, and therefore on the floor of the Church. What is everyone’s stance on entering these churches for private prayer when there may be particles on the floor that we may step on?
For that matter, if priests and extraordinary ministers touch the Eucharist, there still would be “particles” regardless of how one receives Communion.

For that matter, very tiny particles of the wine, after consecration, float out of the chalice, just as with any liquid.
Haven’t you ever smelled wine after it was poured?
The wine particles wander through the church, land on floor and other places, regardless of how one receives Communion. Priests and laity who consume the Precious Blood exhale. More particles.

Can we bury this issue instead of constantly regurgitating anti-CITH threads?

A few years ago at the local RC church near me (they’re in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia), the priest wrote in the weekly bulletin about how Hosts were being found in the pews, in the missalettes and on the floor
But that’s actual hosts, not “particles.”

This is a tough one and I’ve wrestled with it a lot in the past. Communion in the hand definitely results in particles in the hand and therefore on the floor. I haven’t received in the hand in years because I used to check my hand after receiving and there would inevitably be small particles. I think, and I could definitely be wrong, that the way it is, is that unless a particle is clearly identifiable as bread, then it is not the Eucharistic species. So a tiny speck, as far as I can figure out, isn’t actually the Eucharist.
But I’d love someone else to comment on this and either confirm or disprove what I’m saying.

Last edited:
IIRC, the teaching of the Church is that Christ is really, truly and substantially present in the smallest Particle of the Host and the tiniest Drop of the Precious Blood.

Yeah this is where I’m not sure I just thought I remembered hearing/reading that before. Maybe someone could provide us with clarity on this. 🙂 You’d think as Catholics we’d know this for sure. It’s very important.
I guess my question would be - Smallest particle? Therefore what… atom? How small? There’s definitely a point at which it is no longer the Eucharist, I assume.

He has addressed it. Unfortunately we can’t assume parishioners care, or take their spiritual fathers seriously. Prayers for all prideful and/or ignorant laypeople are always needed.

One could make a YouTube video showing that Communion wine inevitably leaves traces in the air of the church, presumably continuing to leave new traces after the Consecration. Eventually they fall to the floor, unless they get carried out the window or door.

Thus every Catholic Church that has ever had Mass likely has particles of consecrated wine everywhere on the floor, and other places.

The reality is that we accept that, as long as there’s no apparent irreverence, with the chalice. The same is true with the consecrated hosts. Even if it is an EF, even if the priest and sacristan are careful, some tiny particles will land on the floor during or after Mass.

Last edited:
The whole CITH thing keeps coming up on this site like a bad penny, and that’s a good thing, because not everybody likes CITH, not everybody is comfortable with CITH, and people need to keep speaking up.

I deeply dislike CITH and would do away with it tomorrow if I were Pope. But I’m not. The Church allows it by indult. We are entirely free to disagree with the Church on solely disciplinary matters, most of all where they are of fairly recent origin, as this one is. (Yes, I know CITH was practiced in the early Church, and the Church did away with the practice. Was she wrong all those centuries?) Fifty years ago, no Catholic would have even dreamed of such a thing.

I am going to leave it at that, as CITH threads are abundant on CAF. But I would just like to post a scientific study (albeit one performed by laymen in their own home), and you can either take it to heart, or summarily dismiss it, as Msgr Quintana did, as you see fit. Evidence doesn’t lie. And yes, protecting the Blessed Sacrament from sacrilege, even accidental, unseen sacrilege, IS “a hill I would die on”.

I’ve never heard of the size of the Particle determining whether or not It is the Real Presence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back