Communion wafers

  • Thread starter Thread starter Inwe86
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

Inwe86

Guest
Communion wafers do not contain yeast because it’s unleavened bread, correct? I’m asking this because I just found out that I’m severely allergic to yeast. I would hate to stop receiving communion. 😦
 
In the West, yes.

In certain Eastern Churches, including Eastern Catholic Churches, the bread is leavened.

However, the baking process would kill the yeast, would it not?
 
Communion wafers do not contain yeast because it’s unleavened bread, correct? I’m asking this because I just found out that I’m severely allergic to yeast. I would hate to stop receiving communion. 😦
Check with your priest.
I know that they have special hosts at our parish for people with allergies.
I’m not sure what the distinction is. Best to just call the parish office and ask them.

Peace
James
 
They shouldn’t have any yeast in them. However, if the allergy is serious, I would check with the supplier rather than testing them on myself. 😉
 
I believe that hosts are suppose to be just be water and wheat in the Roman Catholic Church. So no yeast.
Check with your priest.
I know that they have special hosts at our parish for people with allergies.
I’m not sure what the distinction is. Best to just call the parish office and ask them.

Peace
James
In that case it’s probably just low gluten hosts for those with celiacs. Check the link above if you’re interested.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top