Currently it’s like I’m two persons. Half of me knows that I have strayed from God, is sorry for going in the wrong direction and longs to reconcile myself with Him, the other half enjoys itself too much, is reluctant to give it up, and is annoyed at the thought of striving for a holy life. Both impulses seem to be about equally strong, I guess the negative one is still a bit stronger, although it’s about 50/50.
I think you should pray for the assistance and intercession of a great early saint of the Church. Here’s what he wrote in one of his existing letters:
I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate.
Now if I do what I do not want, I agree that the law is good. So then it is no longer I that do it, but sin which dwells within me. For I know that nothing good dwells within me, that is, in my flesh. I can will what is right, but I cannot do it. For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I do. Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I that do it, but sin which dwells within me. So I find it to be a law that when I want to do right, evil lies close at hand.
For I delight in the law of God, in my inmost self, but I see in my members another law at war with the law of my mind and making me captive to the law of sin which dwells in my members. Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I of myself serve the law of God with my mind, but with my flesh I serve the law of sin.
That was St. Paul, writing to the Church in Rome.
It sounds to me like you’re suffering from
attachment to sin, which exists both before and after confession. Sometimes I look back to the way I lived back in college, and I have a faint desire to still behave that way… that’s attachment to sin. For you, it sounds like you’ve got your feet stuck in a puddle of mud, and you’ve got a choice: stay stuck in that mud, or – with the grace of God – summon up your strength to pull your feet up and out, even if it means leaving a part of yourself (the boots) behind. I think that’s what attachment to sin is all about: finding the strength (from God) to leave behind a part of your life which is damaging your relationship with God.
I would say to you: go to confession, and tell the priest about the difficulty you are having being more contrite for your sins. Even a little contrition is sufficient for confession, but you should ask him to pray for you that you might be converted more fully and learn true contrition for your sins.
I’ll pray for you too.