A
AcolyteLector
Guest
My friend is getting back into the confession cycle, and he asked me a point-blank question that kind of threw me off:
“While in the confessional, do you refer to your sins by giving a colloquial description of your sins (e.g., I masturbate about 5 times daily, last week I got into a fight with my father broke his nose, I stole half of my father-in-law’s wardrobe, et al.–none of which are my sins, btw) or is there some central list of offenses against God (perhaps by referencing the Catechism?) by which you can draw more neutral language?”
I’m just so used to referring to my sins in plain speech, that the idea that I could refer to these transgressions by words like ‘offense against chastity’ or something similar threw me off.
Which is more appropriate?
**
“While in the confessional, do you refer to your sins by giving a colloquial description of your sins (e.g., I masturbate about 5 times daily, last week I got into a fight with my father broke his nose, I stole half of my father-in-law’s wardrobe, et al.–none of which are my sins, btw) or is there some central list of offenses against God (perhaps by referencing the Catechism?) by which you can draw more neutral language?”
I’m just so used to referring to my sins in plain speech, that the idea that I could refer to these transgressions by words like ‘offense against chastity’ or something similar threw me off.
Which is more appropriate?
**