Confirmation names- why?

• Thread starter Thread starter Jade
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jade

Hello Friends!

I have a question regarding the practise of picking a name after one of the saints. Why is this done? and how is it done?

Also, why does a religious tend to change their name when they take professional vows?

Thanks for your help, and if there is a thread on this topic already, please be so kind as to direct me there.

Thanks again!!

Jade

In Scripture, a name change always signified a change in title or importance. Abram’s name was changed to Abraham to signify his appointment as the father of nations. In the New Testament, Christ changed both Simon and Saul’s names when He called them to be Apostles. Confirmation names are taken for the same reason, namely that they denote a more complete union with the Church on the part of the one being confirmed. Religious take different names for this reason, and I believe also as a sign of “dying to oneself” for Christ. As St. Paul said, “It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me”.

A name is taken at Confirmation simply by choosing a Saint who we feel some connection to, or who we wish to hold as a role model. Another tidbit–there is a pious tradition holds that the names we choose for Confirmation are what we will be called in Heaven.

Dr. Colossus:
Another tidbit–there is a pious tradition holds that the names we choose for Confirmation are what we will be called in Heaven.
I have never heard of this! What an interesting notion. Where did you hear of this?

I first heard of it on these forums, actually. I have since read it elsewhere online and heard it talked about. I don’t think there’s any specific Church teaching on this, but it’s a nice thought.

Dr. Colossus:
Another tidbit–there is a pious tradition holds that the names we choose for Confirmation are what we will be called in Heaven.
As an Eastern Catholic, I was confirmed (chrismated, as the Eastern Churches refer to it) as an infant, during the same ritual in which I was baptized and, thus, did not have the opportunity to choose a confirmation name. Guess I can look forward to an eternity of being referred to as “Hey, you!”

😃

a pilgrim

That’d be kind of weird, since I’m a guy and I chose Therese of Lisieux when I was confirmed this year. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back