Confusion about the confession of forgotten sins

  • Thread starter Thread starter Julius
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Julius

Guest
I had disobeyed my parents and confessed disobeying my parents in the confessional.

However I remember a time before the confession when I had also disobeyed my parents. I did not have this time in mind during my confession as I did not remember it then. Did my confession cover this sin too?
Will I have to confess this particular mortal sin again?
 
Last edited:
All your sins are absolved if none is deliberately omitted.

You should include it the next time you confess.

ETA: if you told the priest that you disobeyed your parents once, when it had been twice, then it is absolved but it would be good to include it next time as a previously forgotten sin.

However, if you said, I have disobeyed my parents from time to time, then you would not need to have each and every time specifically in mind for it to be included.

We confess number and kind. I robbed banks three times; I cussed 4 to 10 times a day for 6 years, etc.

If the priest needs to know more, he will ask. If he does not ask, you have been clear enough for confession.
 
Last edited:
I had disobeyed my parents and confessed disobeying my parents in the confessional.

However I remember a time before the confession when I had also disobeyed my parents. I did not have this time in mind during my confession as I did not remember it then. Did my confession cover this sin too?
Will I have to confess this particular mortal sin again?
No. If you have confessed a particular species of sin in kind and number to the best of your ability (as required if mortal sin) then that no longer needs to be confessed even if you remember a previous instance you didn’t have in mind at the time of your confession.

This prevents you from having to dredge up every single instance of any particular sin, which would be an intolerable burden, and is a surefire downward spiral into scrupulosity.

Only a forgotten sin of a different species needs to be mentioned when remembered.

Oh, and do you really think you disobedience of your parents is a mortal sin? I’m willing to bet it’s not.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top