Confusion can anyone help

• Thread starter Thread starter Hoping1
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Hoping1

I’m 18 and have had thoughts about being a priest about 4 years ago but briefly and shut it out and forgot about it. Now, these thoughts are returning and it’s torture. I can’t stop thinking about and I know this sounds bad but I really do not want to be a priest. I want to have a family so bad and work as a journalist. Btw these thoughts came right after I enrolled to a college, which makes it even worse. I need help and also have a slight OCD problem. Can anyone help me I don’t know what to do.

I’m sorry you’re suffering right now. Please talk to a health professional as soon as possible. If your OCD is flaring up, that’s a medical issue and you need medical help for it.

In addition to the previous advice, I’d recommend speaking to a vocations director to help sort out if it truly is a calling from God or not. These thoughts could just be your OCD flaring up. God places the desires in our hearts which can indicate His Will for us. So a priest or vocations director can also help clear this up as well as seeking medical advice for the OCD.

Make sure you are treating your ocd as well as possible. As for being a journalist, I suppose we need some good ones. I was unaware that the profession existed anymore.

Well I want to be a sports journalist. And maybe it’s cause sports aren’t going on that I’m having these thoughts. I just don’t want to turn away from god but I just don’t want to be a priest. I want to get married and have a family and go to college

“For there are eunuchs who were born that way, and there are eunuchs who have been made eunuchs by others–and there are those who choose to live like eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. The one who can accept this should accept it." (Matthew 19:12)

Here, Jesus is talking about not marrying, but it also could apply to you in that if you could better serve the Kingdom of Heaven by being a priest without starting a family and if you can accept it and if this is truly what God calls you to do then it sounds like a good idea. Also:

“Truly I tell you,” Jesus replied, “no one who has left home or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or fields for me and the gospel will fail to receive a hundred times as much in this present age: homes, brothers, sisters, mothers, children and fields—along with persecutions—and in the age to come eternal life.“ (Mark 10:29-30)

Priests who don’t start a blood family gain a spiritual family and spiritual children and much more. BUT due to your OCD, (I have a hyperactive mind sometimes as well) make sure this is truly what God is calling you to, not something you’re forcing into your head and worrying about without reason. Pray, pray, and pray some more 🤣 Ask the Holy Spirit to guide you, he is our Counselor and Advocate 🙂

“But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you“ (John 14:26)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back