Conscientious objection Nursing

  • Thread starter Thread starter snavemarc
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

snavemarc

Guest
Hey. I am a Nurse in the UK, I am really pleased to find that our regulator has recognised our right for Conscientious objection.

Even before I identified myself as Catholic my views essentially matched the teachings of the Church. I am of the mindset that God gave us life and only he can take it away, in this sense I am completely against euthanasia. My current role wouldn’t really bring this up but I still aim to practice clinically from time to time and may encounter this topic at that time. It is reassuring to know that I can object and not participate if this ever comes up.

The same with abortion. God gave us life and only God can take it away. Abortion saddens me deeply, a selfish act that denies someone a chance of life in God’s light.
 
That is good news🙂

I’m a nurse in the US. What did you mean by your “regulator”?
Your employer or the government?
 
So here in the UK we are regulated by the Nursing & Midwifery Council who sets a code of practice and requires registration with them to practice and call yourself a Registered Nurse. They also charge us £120/year ($156) for the privilege.
 
Sorry I meant there are guidelines now from the NMC confirming this.
 
Presumably, following Catholic teaching you would take part in an operation to remove an ectopic pregnancy, provided the whole tube was removed, and not the foetus removed from the tube? Understand entirely that such situation are rare but I have always wondered if those following Catholic teaching fully accept this aspect of it.
 
I believe this is taken rather seriously. It is why, as non-Catholics, I have advised my daughter to carry something in her identifications with instructions to never have her taken to a Catholic hospital in case of emergency. Ectopic pregnancies aren’t as rare as they may seem…a couple of her friends have had them. One was taken to a Catholic hospital and almost lost her life there while the family had to make arrangements to have it treated in the least invasive way. It was a real mess.
 
It’s the same in the US. I pay $236 for membership of the National Association of Social Workers, for example. I’m not sure why somebody would seemingly find this objectionable.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top