Consecrating Ones’ Self

• Thread starter Thread starter IanS
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

IanS

I could use a little help. I often hear people say, “I consecrated myself (or my life) to ______”.

I hear things like people consecrating themselves to the Sacred Heart of Jesus, or the Child Jesus, or The Immaculate Heart of Mary, or Our Lady of Fatima, and so on. Last night on EWTN’s “Journey Home” I heard a man say he consecrated his life to the crucifix. He recommended not doing that because Jesus will hold you to it.

So I guess I would like some more details on what this all means. Can you consecrate yourself to anything you feel God wants you to, or does the Church have specific teachings regarding this practice?

How do you know what is best to consecrate yourself to?
Once you know what you are to consecrate yourself to, what do you need to do?
Do you need to do certain things from that point on?

Sorry for all the questions. I just wanted to get it all out there.

40.png
IanS:
Sorry for all the questions. I just wanted to get it all out there.
You have some good questions. Instead of answering them directly, though, I am going to just put out some pertinent considerations.

I happened to have thought of a Scripture passage that I think is relevant:

Romans 12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercy of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, pleasing unto God, your reasonable service.

I then heard a song relating this one:

Galatians 2:20 And I live, now not I; but Christ liveth in me. And that I live now in the flesh: I live in the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and delivered himself for me.

Furthermore, here is a definition:

From Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary
Consecrate : \Con"se*crate, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Consecrated; p. pr. & vb. n. Consecrating.]
  1. To make, or declare to be, sacred; to appropriate to sacred uses; to set apart, dedicate, or devote, to the service or worship of God; as, to consecrate a church; to give (one’s self) unreservedly, as to the service of God.
  2. To set apart to a sacred office; as, to consecrate a bishop.
hurst

Thanks this is helpful. However, when I read it, it seems more like it’s talking about a religious vocation than something a married person with children would do. I’ve always seen consecration as setting aside for one specific purpose only and not being used for anything else. Like Mary being a consecrated virgin, consecrated vessels at Mass, the priesthood or consecrated religious life, and so on.

How can I really consecrate or turn my life over to say, Our Lady, or the Sacred Heart of Jesus, when I have a wife, kids, job, and volunteer work, to pull me in 100 different directions all the time?

I realize you can be fully committed to Christ and work Him into every aspect of your life, but to me consecration means going beyond that. Maybe I’m just reading too much into this practice.

What happened to the person who consecrated himself to the Crucifix? Did he have many sufferings in his life? My father once united himself to Jesus on the Crucifix, and especially his bloody knees which got so beaten up from falling under the cross. A few weeks later my dad horribly shattered his knee in a freak accident. It caused him much suffering, but through a series of small miracles, he is walking and running on that knee almost like normal, while the doctors said *if * he ever walked again, it would be with a walker, or a cane at best.

I have consecrated myself to the Sacred Heart of Jesus. Check out this link to read more about the devotion. I think it will answer some of your questions.

sacredheartdevotion.com

Hi Sam:

If I remember rightly, he was an evangelical pastor. He said that after he became confirmed his wife and her father made him choose between her or the Catholic Church. When he told them that he could not deny the Holy Eucharist, she left him and tried to move their kids out of state. He also lost his job as a pastor and ended up living out of his van. OUCH!!

40.png
IanS:
… it seems more like it’s talking about a religious vocation than something a married person with children would do.
For the most part, yes.

Perhaps it would help to note that there is a difference between a public consecration and a private consecration.

God calls some to live a more dedicated life as priests, monks, nuns, or the like. But not all have the same particular calling,

1 Cor 12:28 And God indeed hath set some in the church; first apostles, secondly prophets, thirdly doctors; after that miracles; then the graces of healing, helps, governments, kinds of tongues, interpretations of speeches. 29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all doctors?

Matt 25:15 And to one he gave five talents, and to another two, and to another one, to every one according to his proper ability

… yet all are called to holiness.

Eph 4:24 And put on the new man, who according to God is created in justice and holiness of truth.

Heb 12:14 Follow peace with all men, and holiness: without which no man shall see God.
40.png
IanS:
How can I really consecrate or turn my life over to say, Our Lady, or the Sacred Heart of Jesus, when I have a wife, kids, job, and volunteer work, to pull me in 100 different directions all the time?
It should accomodate the duties of your state in life.
40.png
IanS:
I realize you can be fully committed to Christ and work Him into every aspect of your life, but to me consecration means going beyond that.
I know what you mean. To commit oneself seems to indicate loyalty. To consecrate oneself seems to go further, involving love and sacrifice.

The difference between “being committed” and consecrating yourself is perhaps the depth of involvement. One can make various commitments without it being total. To consecrate yourself is to willingly give yourself and dedicate yourself totally to the other. It is a response of gratitude and obedience. It is to become like a child and enter the Kingdom as such.

Mark 10:15 Amen I say to you, whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child, shall not enter into it.

In a sense we are already given to Christ, though not with the full participation of our wills.

1 Cor 6:19 Or know you not, that your members are the temple of the Holy Ghost, who is in you, whom you have from God; and you are not your own? 20 For you are bought with a great price. Glorify and bear God in your body.

We can do something about that. I think it is important for us all to recognize the need to give ourselves willingly.

Privately consecrating ourselves Jesus and Mary is to become like a child under their care and authority. It orients us to devotion, obedience, and self-sacrifice.

Zach 1:3 … Turn ye to me, saith the Lord of hosts: and I will turn to you

Luke 8:15 But that on the good ground, are they who in a good and perfect heart, hearing the word, keep it, and bring forth fruit in patience.

Luke 13:24 Strive to enter by the narrow gate; for many, I say to you, shall seek to enter, and shall not be able.

Matt 16:24 … If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

We should seek the better things

1 Cor 12:31 But be zealous for the better gifts. And I shew unto you yet a more excellent way.

We will be rewarded according to our conduct

Matt 16:27 For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels: and then will he render to every man according to his works.

Romans 2:6 Who will render to every man according to his works.

Apoc 22:12 Behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to render to every man according to his works.

Those who have been given something are expected to do more

Luke 12:48 … And unto whomsoever much is given, of him much shall be required: and to whom they have committed much, of him they will demand the more.

These verse are all intended to show that we should draw near to God with all our ability. Is this not the greatest commandment?

Mark 12:30 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God, with thy whole heart, and with thy whole soul, and with thy whole mind, and with thy whole strength. This is the first commandment.

If you consecrate yourself while married, it would be done privately in a manner that would change the motivation of your actions from being for yourself or by yourself to being for the one you consecrated yourself to and even by them.

Gal 2:20 And I live, now not I; but Christ liveth in me.

1 Cor 7:24 Brethren, let every man, wherein he was called, therein abide with God.

Such will foster selfless behaviour and prepare you wonderfully for union with God.

hurst

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back