Consecration to Mary: Are the 33 days really necessary?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Vigilant
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Vigilant

Guest
I am reading ‘14 days to Morning Glory’ now, large gulps at a time, and have ‘True Devotion’ by St. Louis de Montfort on the way. I attend Mass at least twice a week, confess once a week, recite the Stations of the Cross and two sets of Rosary Mysteries every night with very, very few exceptions, plus several Divine Mercy Chaplets each day, etc… I have read The Mystical City of God, both the online and abridged version, at least a dozen times combined and can’t get enough of it. I have also had some truly unbelievable experiences with the Blessed Virgin, which should not be mentioned in detail outside the privacy of the Confessional.

None of this makes me any better than anyone else. I am painfully aware of my past sinfulness and also my need to continue on the Narrow Path. Even so, I would appreciate some opinions on this question: With all this in mind, do y’awl think I should go through the usual 33 days even though I would have already read both of the above books on Marian Consecration, and have made the spiritual progress that I have made?

Thanks in advance for any (name removed by moderator)ut. I also plan to speak with both of our Priests about it.

Pax Christi
 
I am reading ‘14 days to Morning Glory’ now, large gulps at a time, and have ‘True Devotion’ by St. Louis de Montfort on the way. I attend Mass at least twice a week, confess once a week, recite the Stations of the Cross and two sets of Rosary Mysteries every night with very, very few exceptions, plus several Divine Mercy Chaplets each day, etc… I have read The Mystical City of God, both the online and abridged version, at least a dozen times combined and can’t get enough of it. I have also had some truly unbelievable experiences with the Blessed Virgin, which should not be mentioned in detail outside the privacy of the Confessional.

None of this makes me any better than anyone else. I am painfully aware of my past sinfulness and also my need to continue on the Narrow Path. Even so, I would appreciate some opinions on this question: With all this in mind, do y’awl think I should go through the usual 33 days even though I would have already read both of the above books on Marian Consecration, and have made the spiritual progress that I have made?

Thanks in advance for any (name removed by moderator)ut. I also plan to speak with both of our Priests about it.

Pax Christi
Strictly speaking, it’s not a sin, or wrong, or an imperfection, to just do the consecration without the 33 day preparation. However, in my opinion, there is a great deal more to be gained by doing the 33 days first, even if you’ve already done it before multiple times (as I have). We are always growing, and there’s never a point at which we’ve made enough spiritual progress that we should be satisfied and say that that’s enough.

I find that the 33 day preparation is a fantastic preparation for the consecration, even if you’ve already done it before. I highly suggest doing it.
 
First off, I would say, no matter how far we are along in the spiritual life, we have not made enough progress.

I made an immediate consecration to Our Lady, and that was meaningful and serious, but It was probably more profound or edifying for me in a number of ways when I a few years later went through the 33 day preparation.

Fr. Gaitley’s book and De Montfort’s is like eating cake, it’s best to appreciate it slowly, a bit at a time. It’s good to ponder and have time to reflect on what is read. A spiritual writer once said that it is more important to read little and not too much. In some ways that might not make sense, but if you think on this idea a while, I bet it will. It is not essential that you do this, but I think you will reap the greatest spiritual benefit from taking the full 33 days.

May Our Lady guide you and keep you always.
 
… do y’awl think I should go through the usual 33 days even though I would have already read both of the above books on Marian Consecration, and have made the spiritual progress that I have made?
Do you have a spiritual director? If yes, then have you asked them what *they *think?

In accordance with the spirituality of Marian Consecration, I think you should submit to the 33 days of preparation, whether or not you view yourself as being “spiritually advanced” enough to avoid them: after all, Mary and Christ both submitted to a great deal of things which were not necessary for them to submit to, but which fittingness and humility both demanded.
 
Thanks to those who responded. I agree, and will honor the 33 days.

God bless.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top