Constantine The Great A Saint?

• Thread starter Thread starter Hio1515
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Hio1515

Ok,
So I know that CTG is a saint in the eastern rite and for the Orthodox, but is he a saint in the Latin rite? I cant seem to find any clear information on this.

Why does the Eatern Rite and Orthodox seem to give him a bigger role than the Latin Rite?

Probably because Constantine was an Eastern ruler-he was emperor of the Byzantine Empire, the eastern Roman empire. I believe, if history class serves, that the Eastern Orthodox broke off for, this is only one of the reasons, they wanted their religious leader to be secular, as apposed to pope/kings. I believe Byzantinium “lead” this split. Come to think of it, I can’t think of anyone else who split at that time…someone correct me if I’m wrong though.😃

40.png
insomnio:
Why does the Eatern Rite and Orthodox seem to give him a bigger role than the Latin Rite?
Actually, it’s because Holy Tradition tells that it was St. Constantine’s mother, St. Helena that found the True Cross in Jerusalem. We celebrate the finding of the True Cross on Sept 14th and again on the middle Sunday of Great and Holy Lent.

Sts. Constantine and Helena are also credited for making Christianity the official religion of the Roman Empire and for finding and building many of the Christian Shrines in Jerusalem.

Hope this helps…

Well, he still ruled over the western empire at the time. He had just moved the capital. I was just curious why he seemed to get more attention… Seems somewhat political more than anything.

40.png
insomnio:
He is indeed much more prominent in the East, among Greeks especially. Quite honestly though, he wasn’t a very good role model for the average believer.

For instance, I wouldn’t name my child after him in hopes that he would take on his qualities.

I think one could make a case for God working through Constantine. God can use anyone for His purposes and that would really be a demonstration. The awesome power of God converted Saul the Pharisee and Augustine the profligate, so I guess turning the head of a king or two is all in a days work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back