G
Gunger
Guest
Alright, I could post this on the “Ask an Apologist” or “Traditional Catholicism” forum, but I am more interested in the apologetics surrounding the Catholic (or non-Catholic) understandings of the issue. Given Cardinal Egan’s recent stand in NY and the response of the Mayor…
One obvious ground rule: for purposes of this post (and as a point in fact), all non-marital sexual relations are off-topic because they are, no matter the context, wrong to begin with (though admittedly, I’m not sure it would matter whether it was married or unmarried— having sex out of wedlock and using contraception during that sex is two mortal sins instead of one, no?). Regardless, please assume “sex” here is between a marreid man and woman.
There are those that say contraception is necessary to protect life (aids, STDs) or the quality of life (to control numbers of kids or even protect the health of a mother). To me, this seems a bit selfish-- in other words, it deals with ME instead of THEM (i.e., I’m not loving someone else (a potential unborn life), I’m loving myself (to protect myself from harm or inconvenience). It also interferes with the way God made us (i.e., Genesis, Ephesians, etc. (you take a wife to have kids…perhaps the ultimate expression of God’s love, a LIFE). Not to mention it also shows a lack of faith (if a pregancny results, have faith that…in JP2’s words… “God will provide”).
Nevertheless, there is something intuitive about the argument that in developing countries, we should protect the uneducated by providing them with contraception to control unnecessary hunger, suffering, transmission of disease, and exploitation of women. When I say intuitive I simply mean that there is GOOD that can come out of such use.
Of course, there is the obvious counterpoint that doing evil to accomplish good can never be good. And the Church, thankfully, teaches this consistently. Nevertheless, with contraception, aren’t we talking about allowing a married couple (a sacramental union) the opportunity to express their affection (or re-kindle that union) physically…
I’m sorry. It’s probably obvious…I can’t justify contraception under any circumstance. It’s about life. And, simply put, contraception just simply interferes with God’s work.
Two questions: what is your understanding of Catholic teaching on this issue (Big T or little t) and, more importantly and regardles of the teachings or position of the Catholic Church, do you agree or disagree that contraception is a bad thing. All the time.
G.
One obvious ground rule: for purposes of this post (and as a point in fact), all non-marital sexual relations are off-topic because they are, no matter the context, wrong to begin with (though admittedly, I’m not sure it would matter whether it was married or unmarried— having sex out of wedlock and using contraception during that sex is two mortal sins instead of one, no?). Regardless, please assume “sex” here is between a marreid man and woman.
There are those that say contraception is necessary to protect life (aids, STDs) or the quality of life (to control numbers of kids or even protect the health of a mother). To me, this seems a bit selfish-- in other words, it deals with ME instead of THEM (i.e., I’m not loving someone else (a potential unborn life), I’m loving myself (to protect myself from harm or inconvenience). It also interferes with the way God made us (i.e., Genesis, Ephesians, etc. (you take a wife to have kids…perhaps the ultimate expression of God’s love, a LIFE). Not to mention it also shows a lack of faith (if a pregancny results, have faith that…in JP2’s words… “God will provide”).
Nevertheless, there is something intuitive about the argument that in developing countries, we should protect the uneducated by providing them with contraception to control unnecessary hunger, suffering, transmission of disease, and exploitation of women. When I say intuitive I simply mean that there is GOOD that can come out of such use.
Of course, there is the obvious counterpoint that doing evil to accomplish good can never be good. And the Church, thankfully, teaches this consistently. Nevertheless, with contraception, aren’t we talking about allowing a married couple (a sacramental union) the opportunity to express their affection (or re-kindle that union) physically…
I’m sorry. It’s probably obvious…I can’t justify contraception under any circumstance. It’s about life. And, simply put, contraception just simply interferes with God’s work.
Two questions: what is your understanding of Catholic teaching on this issue (Big T or little t) and, more importantly and regardles of the teachings or position of the Catholic Church, do you agree or disagree that contraception is a bad thing. All the time.
G.