Converts

• Thread starter Thread starter Teresa9
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Teresa9

Dear friends

Recently I had a conversation with a person at my church who is very upset at the apathy within the church, the lack of devotions carried out in the parish and the persons reasoning for this is that it’s due to converts coming in from other faiths. I don’t agree with them, I think it is down to people just not able due to work committments or just NOT WANTING to come to devotions or have a desire to start devotions to either Mary or Jesus on a regular basis.

Do any of you face a similar thing in your parish, what are your experiences on this, what have been your solutions to inspire people to come to devotions and what do you put this apathy down to?

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

I find converts to be some of the most committed Catholics.

No, the problem stems from lukewarm, mediocre, catechetically-challenged cradle Catholics.

Like I used to be.

That’s funny…

I find as a convert that it is the cradle catholics who when asked why they are catholic answer by saying, “I don’t know, thats just what my family is.” Now I don’t mean to sound rude by saying that, but let’s just say that I believe it is the converts who are coming into the church as adults and by choice who are really the ones who are on fire for catholicism. Sure, there are a few born and raised who are deeply in touch with their faith, but unfortunately those numbers aren’t all that great. As parents we need to teach our children to love being catholic, not just that your catholic because that’s what we are. I have three young daughter’s who will be taught why we are catholic and to love it! Even my cradle catholic wife is now doing things in the church she would have never done. She is volunteering in my daughter’s R.E. class, and is also interested in going with me when I minister to the homebound. Since my RCIA class and confirmation, I have looked for ways to get involved in the church, and I really think my wife has come around due to my zeal for our wonderful church.

Now I do believe that us converts need a solid RCIA class to teach us right from wrong, as well as why we do what we do. Otherwise, every Tom, Dick, and Harry protestant will be coming into our church thinking they can change what we do. On the same note, children raised in our faith need to fall in love with our faith. Otherwise when they come of age, they will leave and become protestant, only to realize the error of their ways and return with that same attitude thinking they can change things.

The last thing, I believe that as adults we need to have religious education as well. We need to be up to date as to what our church teaches, and why. Perhaps, as adults we need to require a yearly refresher course similar to the RCIA program.

The Barrister:

No, the problem stems from lukewarm, mediocre, catechetically-challenged cradle Catholics.
I would concur with the Barrister on this one.

Dear friends

I’d have to agree, I was one of those Catholics for years, lukewarm, happy in my own little way of loving God but it wasn’t really up to much until I had a deeper conversion of faith in Christ…so what’s to do?..How do you inspire people??

God Bless you and much love and peace

Teresa

40.png
Teresa9:
How do you inspire people??
Do what Blessed Mother Theresa of Calcuta does. Love them. Set the example of love in your area. Be willing to lead in some area. Be a volunteer. Live a solid faith life.

While converts are being loving and trying to bring some enthusiasm to the faith, they are called to continue to grow in their own faith. It may sound hard to do, but there are some things that they can do. I would suggest that converts find a Third Order that most expresses their spirituality. They can then continue to grow in the faith while helping others.

Deacon Tony SFO

I came back to the Church six years ago, and was catechized then because I never received training in my youth. I have found it difficult to learn about devotions, per se, other than participating in the Sacraments. I have read a lot about certain devotions, like Divine Mercy and novenas, but I do not know anyone who practices them publicly in our parish. I read profusely so I’ve learned a lot about many devotions intellectually but I have practiced only a few of them. I have not found much involvement with any of them in any of the parishes I have been involved in.

I don’t believe this is because of converts, no. I think it just may be that people are very busy and participate in devotions privately whenever they can. I sure would like to learn more about them in a group, though.

God bless!

I agree with The Barrister. I am a convert to the faith…and I think one of the biggest obstacles is setting a good faith filled example. There really wasn’t much in our parish to do, sure there were the normal devotions that I would have loved to attend but it was real hard with 3,4,5 small children…sometimes impossible.

Once I started attending daily mass with my children, attending different church functions, with my children, going to prayer groups…all done with my children in tow…many people came up to me and still do, to tell me what an inspiration I am…that our faith should be like that…like mine…bringing my children where they are most welcome…to Jesus.

This is not to brag, but I know when I see other moms toting their small children to daily mass, I secretly smile…they are setting a wonderful example for those others who struggle with their kids in the “cry room” let alone bring them in the “big church” (as my son liked to call it).

Also praying and loving our fellow brothers and sistes in Christ. Hey, it may take just one enthusiastic person in the faith to light the spark in someone else’s heart.

whatever happened to “There will be more rejoicing in heaven over one who returns than for the 99 who stayed safely in the fold” or words to that effect

Dear friends

Thank you all for your replies. I wanted to see what you all felt on this. I was a bit aghast to be honest when this person said this to me, the person firmly has it in their mind that it isn’t due to the lack of (name removed by moderator)ut from Cradle Catholics, it is down to converts and I think this person is very very wrong.

We have novenas and the rosary after every weekday Mass and sometimes the weekday Mass is very well attended. I seriously think the problem is firstly, that people have other duties to attend to, secondly, it is a sense of laziness in the parish, that people are just not inspired enough to practice them.

I would agree that every Catholic should attend at some point a refresher in their faith. That their should be a devotions workshop, where are people are taken from scratch, the reasons why they are practiced and how to do them.

The major thing is that no-one can make or force a devotion in someone , it has to come by the grace of God and faith has to deepen by the Holy Spirit. Therefore as many of you have said, example and an inspiring devotion to Mary and Jesus, is the only way to make another person think…

Please pray for a deepening of faith in all Catholics.

God Bless you and much love and peace to you all

Teresa

The Barrister:

Like I used to be.
Barrister has my vote for this as well. It’s the luke-warmers who just don’t care and have no immediate need to do anything extra.

As for inspiring attendance at Holy Hour, special devotions , Adoration, etc., and even the church picnic, our priest often centers his sermon around our obligations as Catholics to get to Adoration and participate in devotions we have. I have noticed attendance up.

As for inspiring luke-warm friends and family? I struggle with that as well. I can only lead by example and pray that they come back to the church before crisis hits. That it does not take hardship and misfortune to bring them to their knees at Adoration, like it did for me.

But God will use whatever window of opportunity He sees fit.
God bless you Teresa, for wanting to change the hearts of people. You do more good than you will ever know.

When I told a cradle Catholic friend I was in RCIA, he said he was okay with it as long as I “don’t become one of those wackos, like all the converts do.”

Well, I’m already enough of a “wacko” that I’m angry about modernism, trendiness, liturgical abuses, the increasing “Protestantizing” (my word) of the Church, etc. I’m probably the only one in my RCIA who wants a TLM.

Deacon Tony560:
I would suggest that converts find a Third Order that most expresses their spirituality. They can then continue to grow in the faith while helping others.
Deacon Tony SFO
That’s me! RCIA in 1994, just beginning my aspirancy in the Carmelite Secular Order now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back