Core beliefs and rib beliefs?

  • Thread starter Thread starter descout
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

descout

Guest
Hello all,
I was in a discussion the other day about religion. A Catholic book I was reading brought up the conversation and the other person being a Methodist was telling me some of his beliefs. One interesting thing he thing he brought up was that the church can disagree on “rib” beliefs. Cause a man can live with a broken rib but we all must agree on the core beliefs. Essentially he knows that we have some beliefs in common but there are some that are different and he believes that he can differ in those areas because they are “rib” beliefs. My inquiring mind simply asked him “what are the core beliefs and what are the rib beliefs?” although he listed some, not sure where he was getting them identified as core beliefs. I would of liked to follow up my simple question with a few scripture passages telling how ALL doctrine is sound and important. I believe there is some but I just do not know them…any help here? I will see him again today and would just like to give him those to ponder on and pray over. thanks
 
There is the 2 Timothy passage that says “All scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,” That passage is speaking about the Old Testament scriptures (New Testament not yet established at the time of the letter) – it mentions “scripture” tho, and not “doctrine”.

Here are some passages that speak on “doctrine”:
Romans 16:17 I appeal to you, brethren, to take note of those who create dissensions and difficulties, in opposition to the doctrine which you have been taught; avoid them.
(makes no distinction withing “doctrine” – that some are not core and dissension would be acceptable)

1 Tim 1:3,10
3 As I urged you when I was going to Macedonia, remain at Ephesus thatyou may charge certain persons not to teach any different doctrine,
10 immoral persons, sodomites, kidnapers, liars, perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound doctrine, (shows that moral behavior/law is part of “doctrine”)

Titus 1:9 he (bishop) must hold firm to the sure word as taught, so that he may be able togive instruction in sound doctrine and also to confute those who contradict it.

Titus 2:1 But as for you, teach what befits sound doctrine.

2 John 9-10 Any one who goes ahead and does not abide in the doctrine of Christ does not have God; he who abides in the doctrine has both the Father and the Son. If any one comes to you and does not bring this doctrine, do not receive him into the house or give him any greeting;

Your question on what the core doctrines are is very good. I would also ask him who gets to decide on which doctrines/beliefs are core and which are not.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top