Coronavirus Restrictions

• Thread starter Thread starter hawksnest23
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hawksnest23

Hello people,

I wanna ask what the Catholic response should be to the coronavirus restrictions, and specifically, how strictly one should adhere to them.

In my city, the restrictions are strict; it is technically illegal for me to go to my parent’s house (I don’t live with them), and while restaurants are open for outdoor dining and some businesses are open, the city order makes it unclear whether it is permitted to go to a restaurant/work/business outside of the city itself.

I work outside the city, want to continue visiting my parents, and want to see friends in a socially-distanced manner and not demand that it be limited to outdoor restaurants in my city, but these things might or do technically violate the city’s orders.

What is the obligation here? Generally, I know we are called to obey the law. Is there sin in breaking it here? If so, is it venial or mortal?

I appreciate all those who respond, and I should note, I do tend towards scrupulosity.

Thanks for your help!

Perhaps you could get tested and visit your parents if you are negative .Have proof of the negative result ,and if it’s for your parents welfare it might be considered essential?
Best abide by the health rules at present ,but look into what is also allowable.

Last edited:
What is the obligation here? Generally, I know we are called to obey the law. Is there sin in breaking it here? If so, is it venial or mortal?
I don’t know what country you are in, but in the United States, over 150,000 people are dead, potentially a million or more are left with permanent damage to one or more of their organs, and tens of millions are unemployed because society, as a whole, thought the coronavirus was “no big deal” and decided not to take restrictions seriously.

Even if only one other person gets infected because of your actions, how many other people will thereafter contract the disease through that person? Is that an outcome you want to contribute to? Does that sound like a sin to you?
Perhaps you could get tested and visit your parents if you are negative .Have proof of the negative result ,and if it’s for your parents welfare it might be considered essential?
In some areas (again, in the U.S.), it is taking longer than a week for the tests to get processed. You’d essentially have to completely quarantine yourself for the entire period between the test and the result in order to be sure.

I agree with @Greenfields, though. If it is absolutely essential for you to see your parents in order to care for them because they are unable to survive on their own, you should honor your responsibility to them in the best way you can while keeping them safe.

However, if this is a question of whether it is okay to contribute to needless human suffering for no other purpose than your own personal enjoyment, I personally would have a hard time justifying that on ethical grounds.

Hello people,

I wanna ask what the Catholic response should be to the coronavirus restrictions, and specifically, how strictly one should adhere to them.

In my city, the restrictions are strict;
Then obey them strictly.

Thanks for your response. I do live in the U.S. and it is horrible how much the virus has spread. I don’t believe the virus is “no big deal” nor do I advocate a wholesale rejection of the restrictions. However, I think there are some important realities.

First, this is not a question I’m asking regarding a one-time decision. Since there is no definite end to this pandemic, I’m asking a question likely regarding decisions for the next several months or even year.

Though I currently have a family member staying with me, I usually live alone. This time is difficult on everybody’s mental health I think but particularly for those who live alone and particularly for those who, like me, already have some mental health issues.

Seeing other people is a very healthy (talking about mental health here) thing to do.

I’m particularly asking for advice here on the degree to which we are obliged to obey civil authority. For example, playing basketball is currently not permitted, but I know that I could play a game of HORSE with one friend with at least as much social distance as we would have eating outdoors at a restaurant (which is currently permitted). As a general rule, banning basketball makes sense because it is a high-contact sport, but the way in which we would play would not be. Similarly, I am not talking about being reckless and having “COVID parties” but instead about going on a walk with a friend and maintaining a distance or meeting in a parking lot with friends and talking. These things may technically not be on the city’s permitted list of activities but are at least as safe as other things which are.

As for my parents, it is not necessary that I visit them to assist them in any way, but still, it is no small thing to separate a son and his parents.

The primary question I have here is not whether it is wise or safe (which might be a worthy discussion otherwise) but instead is: whether the obligation remains to keep to the letter of the city’s law in some or all of these variable circumstances.

Since there is no definite end to this pandemic, I’m asking a question likely regarding decisions for the next several months or even year.
This time is difficult on everybody’s mental health I think but particularly for those who live alone and particularly for those who, like me, already have some mental health issues.
These are two important points. It is true that we do not know when this will end, and it is true that isolation can be bad for mental health.

Personally, however, I’d go along with the current rules, which are made for the common good. If this is going to last, better provisions will most likely be made for seeing loved ones, precisely because governments and health administrations are generally aware of the detrimental effects on mental health. They are probably going to adapt as time goes on.

Your current rules already are less strict that what my own parents had to deal with in France two months ago – because, however inconvenient it may be for you, you do have a lawful option to meet with them. If I were in your shoes, I’d definitely use it. Until two months ago, my family didn’t even have that, and my parents (both over 65) spent almost three months without seeing anybody or leaving their house for anything else than grocery shopping. I’m really grateful that most people complied and the situation evolved to a point where the rules could be relaxed instead of tightened.

The problem is that everybody has a perfectly good reason not to abide by the current regulations. But if everybody feels justified in doing as they please regardless of the law, how are we ever going to leave the pandemic behind us, and avoid contaminating more vulnerable people ?
meeting in a parking lot with friends and talking
What’s the big difference between that and meeting outdoors at a coffee shop with friends and talking ? I’m a bit puzzled.

The government does not determine what is morally right and wrong. Just remember that.

Can you have an outdoor visit? Seems like the virus spreads indoors most effectively. When we were locked down I didn’t go into anyone else’s house. Now the virus is low enough here that it’s safer and restrictions are being eased.

What’s the big difference between that and meeting outdoors at a coffee shop with friends and talking ? I’m a bit puzzled.
Being in a confined space may concentrate the virus; there is no breeze indoors. Outdoors it is easier to stay 2 metres apart then indoors, This is an airborne infection, so the more air there is to dilute any virus the better.

And wear a mask of course, which is more difficult if you are drinking coffee. :maté:

virus size is 1/10000 mm, smaller than the threads of the face mask. In micro organism world, a cubit cm can contain one billion of germs. So, a cough, sneeze can spread 10,000s micro organisms including virus 12+ feet away. Hair and clothes may be contaminated.

Even the law say yes, we still have to be very careful and make our own wisdom judgement to survive.

Just look at the gray aliens. They always wear protection coverall suit and sun glasses. Definitely their nose and ears are protected too. Never see any picture showing they hug, kiss or hand in hand either.

Got it?

Last edited:
I work outside the city, want to continue visiting my parents, and want to see friends in a socially-distanced manner and not demand that it be limited to outdoor restaurants in my city, but these things might or do technically violate the city’s orders.
This seems to be all about you and what you “want”.

The restrictions are reasonable. How about you follow them and obey the city’s orders?
The Catholic Church expects us to be law-abiding unless there is some extreme situation of injustice. You not being able to see your friends hardly qualifies.

I’ve been hanging out with my friends on Zoom over the last few months. Works for me.

If this causes you hardship, you can offer it up to God in reparation for the sins of the world and yourself.

Last edited:
To be honest, there’s not much difference, and many of us are voluntarily choosing not to gather at restaurant patios either.

Many jurisdictions are giving restaurant patios a break because they don’t want the restaurants to go out of business.

However, just about every restaurant is happy to do take out and i get that instead. I shudder when I see a group of people gathering at a restaurant and there’s no masks because people are eating, no social distancing, and the folks don’t appear to be related to each other.

It IS hard.I might visit my parents just sitting in the car using my phone even ,but still seeing them will be nicer than on screen.
We know we are with each other in spirit.

The government does not determine what is morally right and wrong. Just remember that.
Agreed. Our only requirement is to follow just civil authority. Unjust laws need not be followed, but one must be readily willing to own the consequences of disobeying civil authority. The old saying: is this the hill you want to die on applies because there are substantial consequences and potential backlash for going against the civil authorities?

Where i am, restrictions have eased, but we do have a mask mandate. I live with my 85 year old father, so I am not yet comfortable trying to resume any sort of “normal” life, because if I should get the virus, I would surely bring it home to him. It’s my obligation to keep him safe. Yes, I’d like to go out and do things again, but not at the risk of my father’s welfare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back