Could God be punishing me for this sin

  • Thread starter Thread starter benjammin
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

benjammin

Guest
Ever since I was 13 I have been struggling with a sin I will call the big M. I’m 23 now, and I still struggle with it. Anyway, I am wondering, could God be punishing me for this sin so that I will eventually stop? I know that’s not really a belief in Catholicism, but sometimes I wonder because so many things have gone bad in my life, not necessarily because of the big m, but I’m wondering if God is allowing these things to happen, so that eventually something so bad will happen that I will give it up. I mean since I was 13
  • My father got cancer when i was 13 and passed away 3 years later
  • I lost friends because I was kind of an awkward kid
  • I was bullied and fought back the wrong way
  • I have never been in a relationship with a girl (i’m 23 for crying out loud)
  • I can’t find a job right now
Certainly there have been good things in my life, but a lot of the things that went wrong really depressed me . Could GOd be trying to send me a message. I know that isn’t how god is supposed to work, but how do we know. It also makes me sad because I just can’t stop with the big m. I hate myself for it and wish it would just go away. I don’t know how to get help, it’s not even a porn problem. Seriously
 
In a word: no.

I am sorry you have had some troubles in your life, and I hope you will get some counseling for those and some spiritual guidance on overcoming temptations and habitual sins. Talk to your priest.
 
This statement from the Catechism came to mind when I read your post, “hatred of God comes from pride. It is contrary to love of God, whose goodness it denies, and whom it presumes to curse as the one who forbids sins and inflicts punishments.” (CCC 2094)

I think it points to the fact that when we are proud with our perspective of God we see in a false mode. I do not say that you hate God, but you should be careful because Pope Gregory the Great said that the sin of hatred of God is a daughter sin of lust. It erupts from pride when our sins see God not as what love truly is but as a punisher.

When we are enslaved by a life of sensuality we twist the meaning of love, and our interior boundaries between persons are in corruption disposing us to attack other people when they come to close. The gift of Piety is the gift that restores virtue of justice, in which the virtue of religion is of the most lofty among those that come under justice. Try to focus on keeping your religion (what you give to God in worship) pure. The Mass is the source of grace that could restore you if you are faithful.

The virtue of faith is established with the disposition of the Gift of Understanding. “Faith is the theological virtue by which we believe in God and believe all that he has said and revealed to us, and that Holy Church proposes for our belief, because he is truth itself. By faith ‘man freely commits his entire self to God.’”(CCC 1814) Is your faith pure? Do you doubt the authority of the Pope and his teachers in union with him? Doubt is a sin against faith. Faith teaches the church that doubt in a number of cases can have a tragic result just as a number of sins of the lust in a number of cases can have a tragic result.

By praying the rosary, praying with the Blessed Sacrament in Silence, and giving worship at Mass we incline our heart to be obedient to the faith. With prayer to this extent we doubt a lot less, and we see God as a lover. And this faith will save you by the merit you extend to God through the Gifts of the Holy Spirit.

So we should ask the Blessed Mother to inspire us with her spirit, the Holy Spirit, with the Gift of Counsel so that we may judge our own actions by the enlightment of faith. And not to doubt what we know comes from faith. For “he is truth itself.” (CCC 1814) God Bless you.
 
God is love. Love does not hate. It only loves and forgives.
Good point, but look at parents who yell at their kids when they do something wrong. It’s not because they hate them its because they love them so much. Maybe it’s the same with God. He loves me and in order to get me to stop he allows for bad things to happen
 
In a word: no.

I am sorry you have had some troubles in your life, and I hope you will get some counseling for those and some spiritual guidance on overcoming temptations and habitual sins. Talk to your priest.
👍

Benjammin—

Maybe you are using masturbation as a way to try to “self-medicate” away your pain from the losses and troubles in your life?

I know a Catholic male from another forum who has written about inviting Christ’s presence to come even closer to him when he’s strongly tempted to turn to masturbation as a way to relieve emotional pain; in other words, he sees Christ not as a Someone Who punishes him after he messes up, but a companion right in the midst of temptation, able to offer His compassion to resist temptation.
 
Benjammin,

I dealt with the same sin at your age and faced many similar struggles. I can assure you the they are not related.

To deal with the sin, go to Confession and follow the priest’s advice. It may be a long (even lifelong) struggle to overcome your sin because it has become habitual. It is kind of like alcoholism in that way (except if you do eventually marry, your relations with your spouse would actually be a relief in the struggle). Do not be surprised or ashamed if you have to list this sin in confession many times. Do not fear it. Confession is the cure.

To deal with your other struggles, you could meet with a priest or other spiritual director. (It doesn’t have to be the same person as your confessor.)

I will pray for you.
 
Grace & Peace!
Good point, but look at parents who yell at their kids when they do something wrong. It’s not because they hate them its because they love them so much. Maybe it’s the same with God. He loves me and in order to get me to stop he allows for bad things to happen
Benjammin, it’s clear, that you’re in incredible pain because of the “big m” habit, caught between the desire to stop, the knowledge that stopping would be good, and the inertia of habit. It has been said that sin is its own punishment, and it’s true. God is not punishing you.

God is not a human parent–he’s infinitely more loving and understands you infinitely more than you understand yourself! He would never punish you by causing your loved-ones pain: that’s what gangsters do, not your Heavenly Father. He would never punish you by leading you into situations in which you would be bullied or harmed, nor would he keep loved ones from you or cause you to be unemployed. The whole point of the Incarnation is that God wants us to share his life with him–he doesn’t want us to be miserable! The life of Jesus Christ shows us who God truly is–when he rose from the dead after we murdered him, did he rise the God of Death and Vengeance, visiting wrath and punishment on us? No!! He rose full of love and forgiveness for all of us. That’s the sort of God he is. His mercy is truly incomprehensible!!

So incomprehensible is God’s mercy, in fact, that we often can’t believe it. It’s easier for us to believe that God is just a more powerful version of our human parents. Easier to believe that when good things happen to us, God must like us, and when bad things happen to us, God is punishing us. But that’s not the case. Even the saints lived lives of hardship and suffering–holiness of living is no guarantee of a painless life in this world–it’s not called a Vale of Tears for nothing! Life is full of pain and adversity–but not because God wills it, but because we sinful creatures have collectively engineered suffering into the world by our sinfulness.

So no, God is not punishing you. You are punishing yourself–you are blaming yourself for all the bad things that have happened in your life, filling yourself up with such self-hatred that it’s crippling. If only you could see yourself as God sees you–a beautiful and beloved child for whom he wishes nothing less than a life of bliss and union with himself!

Do you know the “Revelations of Divine Love” by Julian of Norwich? I highly recommend it to you. She was a medieval visionary anchoress who wrote: “…our life is all based and rooted in love, and without love we cannot live. And therefore to the soul it is the most impossible thing that can be that God would be angry, for wrath and friendship are two opposites…. I saw no kind of wrath in God, neither for a short time nor for a long." And finally, “…when I saw all this, it was necessary to agree that the mercy of God and the forgiveness is in order to abate and consume our wrath, not His.”

God wants to swallow up all of your self-hatred and wrath in his mercy and forgiveness. The more you hold on to your self-hatred, the more it will come to define who you are–the more you will understand yourself* in terms of your sin*, not in terms of the redemption offered you by Jesus *Christ! *

But, you might say, that’s easier said than done. And you’re right. It’s often hard to get out from under a burden of self-recrimination, hard to give up an image of ourselves as unlovable. Why? Because our unlovableness explains the world to us–why else would bad things happen to us? We deserve them! But the message of the cross and resurrection is this: God suffers with us–he doesn’t dole out the pain. And it doesn’t matter what you think you deserve–God loves you, whether you deserve it or not. You are (in the words of Margery Kempe) God’s dear-worthy darling. He doesn’t want to punish you–he wants to give himself to you and share his life with you.

Have you spoken with your priest about your feelings, either in confession or in a more general counselling scenario or both? I would urge you to take advantage of the sacrament of confession and to seek counsel from your priest–that’s what he’s there for! And if you fall into old habits, know that God is waiting to help you get back up again. The important thing is making progress in grace–we often feel like we have to be perfect in order for God to accept us or in order for us to be in a state of grace, but I think human perfection consists in progress in grace, not in a static state. Avail yourself of the sacraments and of the counsel of your priest!

May God give you strength to resist temptation, grace to stand up again when you fall, and the knowledge that he loves you, no matter what!

Under the Mercy,
Mark

All is Grace and Mercy! Deo Gratias!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top