Credo omitted: Ordinary Form

  • Thread starter Thread starter TBolt1000T
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TBolt1000T

Guest
Today, at one of our OF Masses, just after the homily, they had some sort of rite and prayers for the catecumens, which took the place of the Credo. I’ve never seen anything like this before. Why would this kind of rite take the place of the Credo? I’ve seen the penitential rite omitted because of the Rite of Sprinkling, which was perfectly ok, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen the Credo omitted during a Sunday Mass. Our pastor does really well at sticking to the rubrics, so I’m sure that this is allowed, but could someone please explain it to me?
 
T … Same thing happened today at my parish, maybe it was omitted in the rubics for today…maybe a deacon will speak up or something.
 
Today was the “First Scrutiny” for those in RCIA, not sure about the rubrics, but it may very well tak the place of the Creed.
Why don’t you just ask your priest? 🤷
 
This was the first scrutiny for adult catechumens preparing for Baptism.

In my Parish, the Creed was said as part of the scrutiny rite. It was not said on its own separately, so the rite overall definitely *replaces *the standalone Creed. We are lucky to have a ‘say the black, do the red’ kind of Priest, so I’m reasonably certain he did it in accordance with the rubrics.

Now, I am not familiar with what options there are for the Scrutiny itself (can’t find it anywhere in my Missal)…at our Parish, it included the Creed, but there may very well be other options that omit it. I can’t answer that definitively.
 
The Profession of Faith is optional when the Scrutinies are celebrated. If your parish omitted it this week then you can expect the same thing to happen for the next two weeks as well. Instead, this is your opportunity to pray for and with your catechumens.
 
The Profession of Faith is optional when the Scrutinies are celebrated. If your parish omitted it this week then you can expect the same thing to happen for the next two weeks as well. Instead, this is your opportunity to pray for and with your catechumens.
I kind of figured that was the case. Thanks for your reply.
 
I kind of figured that was the case. Thanks for your reply.
Same here. I’ve been through Lent once before, so I don’t know why I don’t remember this. Maybe we didn’t have any adult catecumens last time I went through Lent, so when it happened this time, it just took me by surprise.

Thanks to those who responded and cleared this up. It looks like I still have a lot to learn, even about the Ordinary Form. Now, I know what to expect for the next two weeks.
 
Same here. I’ve been through Lent once before, so I don’t know why I don’t remember this. Maybe we didn’t have any adult catecumens last time I went through Lent, so when it happened this time, it just took me by surprise.

Thanks to those who responded and cleared this up. It looks like I still have a lot to learn, even about the Ordinary Form. Now, I know what to expect for the next two weeks.
It also is not said when there are Baptisms during Mass.
 
  1. When the eucharist is to follow, intecessory prayer is resumed with the usual general intercessions for the needs of the Church and the whole world; then, if required, the profession of faith is said. But **for pastoral reasons these general intercessions and the profession of faith may be omitted. **The liturgy of the Eucharist then begins as usual with the preparation of the gifts. In the eucharistic prayer there is to be a remembrance of the elect and their godparents (see ritual Mass “Christian Initiation: The Scrutinies”).
catholicnh.org/media/files/catholic-faith/First%20Scrutiny.pdf
 
The reason the Creed is omitted is that first, as others have said, when there is a Rite for the Elect it is omitted. Secondly, the Elect or catechumens are dismissed before the Creed. They do not recite the Creed until the morning of Holy Saturday. This week during their regular RCIA meeting, they receive the Creed. It is orally handed over to them. They memorize it and repeat it back during the Preparatory rites on Holy Saturday.

If the presider really feels it necessary, they can pray the Creed after the Elect and catechumens are dismissed.
 
The reason the Creed is omitted is that first, as others have said, when there is a Rite for the Elect it is omitted. Secondly, the Elect or catechumens are dismissed before the Creed. They do not recite the Creed until the morning of Holy Saturday. This week during their regular RCIA meeting, they receive the Creed. It is orally handed over to them. They memorize it and repeat it back during the Preparatory rites on Holy Saturday.

If the presider really feels it necessary, they can pray the Creed after the Elect and catechumens are dismissed.
Is this dismissal of catechumens done on every Sunday?
 
Is this dismissal of catechumens done on every Sunday?
No, only at Masses where the Scrutinies are observed. Generally, even on such Sundays, if for instance a church has four Masses on Sunday, the Scrutiny will be done at one of them with the catechumens dismissed for instruction, and at the other three nothing will be mentioned about it at all and nobody will be dismissed.
 
I’m sponsoring a wonderful young woman this year. My first year with RCIA.

One at a time, Father laid his hands on all eight of the catecuhmens’ heads. Sponsors standing behind them with our right hand on their right shoulder. Wonderful, very powerful! :crossrc:

After the catecuhmens’ dismissal, we said the credo.
 
Is this dismissal of catechumens done on every Sunday?
It should be done at every mass where a catechumen is present. Usually, however, it is done right after the homily and then the creed is prayed followed by petitions. SInce the Scrutinies require the Elect to be present for the petitions, since the petitions are basically the scrutiny, then the creed is omitted.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top