Cross nails thorns?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ana
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Ana

Guest
My seven yr old dd asked me where Jesus’ cross, nails and crown of thorns were. I thought I heard the Church has possession of these things but I am not sure. Anyone know?
 
I know the Cross has in fact been divided up into many smaller pieces that have been distributed among various churches as relics. I got to see one of these and venerate it as a young 'un - it was a tiny sliver of wood. It was just on loan to my local Cathedral though.

The altars of most all churches have a relic of some kind in them - probably some of these are relics of the Cross.

I don’t actually know of any churches that have a relic of the Cross on display, though there’d almost certainly be one or more in the Vatican or St Peters somewheres, and another in the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem.

Probably the same story with the nails, although I can’t recall ever having heard of the crown of thorns actually ever having been found, so perhaps it never was. Although one of the nails is reputedly still kept with the spear of Longinus (the spear that pierced Christ’s side) which I believe is in Nuremberg, Germany

Man I’m such a nerd :o 🤓
 
My seven yr old dd asked me where Jesus’ cross, nails and crown of thorns were. I thought I heard the Church has possession of these things but I am not sure. Anyone know?
The church of * Santa Croce in Gerusalemme *(Holy Cross of Jerusalem) in Rome is the place where many relics of the Passion are venerated, from a portion of the column upon which Our Lord was flogged to the finger bones of St Thomas the Apostle. :eek:

tee
 
The church of Santa Croce in Gerusalemme (Holy Cross of Jerusalem) in Rome is the place where many relics of the Passion are venerated, from a portion of the column upon which Our Lord was flogged to the finger bones of St Thomas the Apostle. :eek:

tee
Thanks tee, nice to know there’s a bigger nerd out there than me 🤓 (I mean that in the nicest possible way of course 😃 )

Finger bones of St Thomas eh? but from which hand? and which of his hands would have been most likely the one placed on Our Lord’s wounds??

:hmmm: much to ponder …
 
There is no evidence of the real cross, or nails, or crown of thorns, scourging pillar or anything being in the Church’s or anybody else hands. It would simply be speculation to suggest otherwise. None of these are anyway needed. Our faith does not rest on relics.
St Helena in the 300’s reputedly found the true cross but I’m not aware she was an archeologist or what her eveidence was to support the find.
Its my understanding that we are are not obliged to believe it.
 
Thank you Lily and tee! As a homeschooling mum, I try to teach my children to be self learners. She’s asked me this question a couple of times, so I wanted to find out for her.:cool:
 
There is no evidence of the real cross, or nails, or crown of thorns, scourging pillar or anything being in the Church’s or anybody else hands. It would simply be speculation to suggest otherwise. None of these are anyway needed. Our faith does not rest on relics.
St Helena in the 300’s reputedly found the true cross but I’m not aware she was an archeologist or what her eveidence was to support the find.
Its my understanding that we are are not obliged to believe it.
heh…heh…you talk funny.😃
 
There is no evidence of the real cross, or nails, or crown of thorns, scourging pillar or anything being in the Church’s or anybody else hands. It would simply be speculation to suggest otherwise. None of these are anyway needed. Our faith does not rest on relics.
St Helena in the 300’s reputedly found the true cross but I’m not aware she was an archeologist or what her eveidence was to support the find.
The story goes that she performed a test not unlike the testing of a modern medicine. She had an incurably sick woman touch the wood of three different crosses they had unearthed. When the woman touched the wood of the third cross she was instantly cured. That was determined to be the true cross.
 
My seven yr old dd asked me where Jesus’ cross, nails and crown of thorns were. I thought I heard the Church has possession of these things but I am not sure. Anyone know?
Sainte-Chappelle in Paris is believed by some to hold the Crown of Thorns:

discoverfrance.net/France/Cathedrals/Paris/Sainte-Chapelle.shtml

The Cathedral of Valencia, Spain, claims to hold the Cup of the Last Supper (good history behind that claim):

catholic.org/international/international_story.php?id=20463

geocities.com/Athens/Rhodes/3946/santocaliz/
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top