Crucifix question

• Thread starter Thread starter the_hibernian
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

the_hibernian

Is an artistic representation of the Crucifixion (e.g., San Damiano) considered a Sacramental to the same degree as one depicted in 3D?

Also, I have a “Crucifix” as described aboove and it contains scenes from Holy Thursday on 3 corners of the cross and depicts who I assume are the “Marys” at the feet of Christ. Behind the head of our Savior is “JHS” surrounded by a circle. Does anyone know the name of this Crucifix or its history? Many thanks.

the hibernian:
Is an artistic representation of the Crucifixion (e.g., San Damiano) considered a Sacramental to the same degree as one depicted in 3D?

Also, I have a “Crucifix” as described aboove and it contains scenes from Holy Thursday on 3 corners of the cross and depicts who I assume are the “Marys” at the feet of Christ. Behind the head of our Savior is “JHS” surrounded by a circle. Does anyone know the name of this Crucifix or its history? Many thanks.
Yes it is, an artistic representation is just as valid as a Sacramental as a sculpted one. In fact, if you research the spirituality of Icons, you might find it even more so, the sculpted ones are designed for us to recall the Crucifixion as if we were there. The Icon is designed to depict the Heavenly Image of the Crucifixion, as it appeared to the angels. They are literally windows into Heaven.

Fr Michael Scanlon has a pamphlet entitled The san Damiano Cross an Explanation, which explains the depiction and meaning of each of the smaller icons, from Franciscan University Press ISBN 0-940535-01-7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back