Dames of Columbus?

• Thread starter Thread starter kfarose2585
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kfarose2585

I was wondering if there is a national/international Catholic women’s group out there that is similar to the Knights of Columbus. By “similar,” I mean that I am looking for a group that is about leadership, service, and growing together in faith. I am too young for most local Catholic women’s groups, plus I’d really like to feel that sense of greater community that I just wouldn’t get from a lady’s sewing circle.

I’ve emailed the K of C about this, and they said that no such group exists! Is this really true? If so, what a pity! I may just have to start something of my own. =)

My husband is in the Knights. Last month he got a letter about a group called the Columbians (sp?). They are like a womens auxilliary for the Knights.

There is a women’s auxiliary – Columbiettes – but I know nothing about them (none in my area).

Yours in Columbianism,
tee,
Knight of the 3rd Degree

Hi!

Look into Catholic Daughters of America. I believe they were started under the auspices of the Knights.

I am glad to hear that the K of C has a sister group, and that they are working together, but the Columbiettes don’t seem to be very widespread yet. Not even the K of C officer whom I contacted knew that the Columbiettes exist! Sadly, the Catholic Daughters of the Americas also seem to be in a sad state. Their website cries, “we are small and need help getting off the ground!” Are there any groups that are “flying” yet? If not, have the bigger guys, like the K of C and the Legion of Mary, tried to help these women’s groups grow? Why do you suppose they are so unpopular?

40.png
kfarose2585:
I’ve emailed the K of C about this, and they said that no such group exists! Is this really true? If so, what a pity! I may just have to start something of my own. =)
In my former hometown we had a Ladies Aux. called “The Daughter’s of Isabella”…I always thought that this group was the women’s answer to the Kof C? :confused: Annunciata

I think you’re on to something, Annunciata! This seems like a much bigger group. Although it is too bad that none have reached the masses yet (no pun intended), the Daughters of Isabella seems promising. 🙂

40.png
kfarose2585:
Are there any groups that are “flying” yet? If not, have the bigger guys, like the K of C and the Legion of Mary, tried to help these women’s groups grow? Why do you suppose they are so unpopular?
I thought Legion of Mary were a mixed sex group. Are they also male only?

Thanks!

Jenn

Here in our parish, we have catholic women’s guild or also called the catholic women’s club. They have a charter, officers and bylaws. Here they work closely with the KoC on the fall festival and other things. The KoC also has an auxillary that is made up of wives of the knights which does alot to help with functions.

I just finished helping present a retreat for past regents of Catholic Daughters of America, and heard about their work and mission, sounds like what you are looking for.

Legion of Mary was actually originally all-female, though it has shifted its focus to recruit more men. Nonetheless, you were right in thinking that it is open to both sexes. When I referred to the L of M as a “big guy” organization, I simply meant that it has more members than most of the women’s groups that people have told me about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back