Dangers of the Enneagram

• Thread starter Thread starter Fidelis
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Fidelis

This thread was started in ressponse to a question that came up in another, unrelated thread:
40.png
Carl:
Could you explain to me why eneagrams would be a tool contrary to your view of developing true spirituality?
From an article by Fr. Mitch Pacwa (who appears regularly on EWTN), a leading expert on the occult and New Age practices:
In America and abroad a system of classifying personality types — the enneagram — is becoming very popular. Strictly speaking, the enneagram is a circle with nine points on it (ennea means “nine” in Greek, and gram means “line drawing”). Inside the circle two figures connect the nine points, a triangle and an oddly shaped six-pointed figure. Most people who refer to the enneagram, however, relate it to a personality typology system based on this drawing. In workshops they learn that only nine personality types exist and that every person fits into one of them. Each of these nine types represents a personality compulsion, a wrong or even “demonic” way of behaving. Once a person identifies his or her type (usually classified by a number on the enneagram), then he or she can supposedly learn how to improve, or at least avoid getting worse, spiritually.
The enneagram is particularly popular among Catholic groups, with parishes and retreat houses offering workshops across the country. Rarely are teachers or participants aware of its occultic origins, something that should be a source of real concern for the Christian church. Echoes of a false, Gnostic theology are heard in enneagram teachings, though its occult roots are masked. The lack of scientific research into the enneagram system is an additional cause for concern. This article will examine these three aspects of the enneagram: its occultic roots, its Gnostic theology, and its lack of scientific support.
To see the entire article, go here:

TELL ME WHO I AM, O ENNEAGRAM
equip.org/free/DN067.htm

There is also an “Ask An Apologist” thread on this here:

forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?t=8332&highlight=enneagram

Fidelis

Thanks for your prompt reply and the interesting references. I have read them and they are impressive. Will keep them in mind when reading Richard Rohr and others of that ilk.

God bless,
Carl

I had no knowledge of ennegrams except for the name until I read this post and the article. How in the world could an educated person, let alone an educated Christian believe in such crapola. Reminds me of some of the “great” methods of analysis which I was taught in management courses at my company over the years. Most of them assumed a level of knowledge that no one had or could get except at great expense and paid “consultants”. Final result? More confusion and poorer business decisions. I suppose one could position some of these “believers” as business Gnostics.

40.png
rwoehmke:
I had no knowledge of ennegrams except for the name until I read this post and the article. How in the world could an educated person, let alone an educated Christian believe in such crapola. Reminds me of some of the “great” methods of analysis which I was taught in management courses at my company over the years. Most of them assumed a level of knowledge that no one had or could get except at great expense and paid “consultants”. Final result? More confusion and poorer business decisions. I suppose one could position some of these “believers” as business Gnostics.
MBO, management by objectives, QC, quality college, TA, transactional analysis, Meyer-Briggs personality analysis. One client started using the latter to type people for job placement, a total disaster that is taking them years to unravel. MBAs who can’t get jobs latch onto some fad “business religion” set up as high priced consultants and rake in the bucks from companies who can’t be bothered producing quality products and services by treating suppliers, customers and employers like human beings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back