Dealing With Doubts

• Thread starter Thread starter DBT
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DBT

Ok, maybe this is just the sleepless ramblings of a man wrestling with spiritual thoughts that come back to haunt him from time to time . . .

There have periods in my life when I’ve known deep peace and tranquility in my soul. These times are invariably when I walk by faith, trusting in the Lord and all he has revealed to us. Other times, especially when there is some level of uncertainty in my life, trust seems to give way to “What-Ifs.” What begins with some worldly doubt (what if I lose this account, my son doesn’t make the team etc) sometimes leads to a sleepless night over the big one.

The big “what-if” for me has to do with death, heaven, time and eternity. A few years ago I read an article (long ago lost) by a neurosurgeon describing his belief based on his dealings with patients who had near death experiences. I don’t think he was a Christian . . . more likely he was an atheist or agnostic.

His basic arguement was this: death is a time of intense activity within the brain. As the body dies, neurons fire rapidly and indiscriminately creating all sorts of “sensations” that we, as Christians, would think of as God and heaven. These sensations include all the things you hear about near death experiences in the popular press: life passing before your eyes, walking into the light, the feeling of the soul leaving the body, a deep sense of peace and joy . . . the beatific vision.

All of this to him takes place in just a few fleeting moments . . . the result of a body already in decay. Then, just like that, it’s over. Brain activity stops . . . the sensations cease . . . game over. Heaven is just a figment of our imagination, like your PC spitting out garbage as its hard drive fails.

I know that time is just a human construct which God utterly transcends. I also know theolgians have grappled with the concept of time in many ways. Some have speculated that purgatory, for all we know, might be instantaneous.

And I also know that doubts are a natural part of our faith journey. At times like this I think of St. Therese of Liseaux who had great doubts as death approached . . . perhaps unto the very existence of God.

And that’s the hardest part for me. I don’t doubt the existence of God. I’ve seen his work in my life and I “know” in some indescribable way His presence. When I look at the transformation that has occurred in my life, there can be no other logical explanation to me but God.

Then why on earth would I be up all night worring about what this doctor thinks in the light of what I’ve come to “know” from my own experience?

DBT–I don’t know where you are in your life (age, marital status, profession, and so on). Is there a possibility that other things that you are preoccupied with are coming out in your ruminating about this topic? When I have ever had such thoughts, I recognize that time spent worrying about, ruminating on, trying to figure out such thoughts that have no answers are wasted time for me–time that is better spent more productively focusing on things that I can have an impact on. Is there really any possibility that you can “solve” this mystery?I think not.

While this is not a reason to avoid thinking about the bigger mysteries in life, when that thinking becomes excessive, you need to be able to switch it off. If you can’t switch it off, then you might consider cognitive therapy, a method of psychology that helps you better control your thoughts. I am not an expert in cognitive therapy, though I have read about it when a family member improved dramatically using cognitive therapy. If I am way off base by raising these issues, I apologize. But I do believe that when something we do is causing us pain, then we need to change something. God bless.

Sometimes we have doubts that reoccur. If we recognize as such, it is a opportunity for us to choose God again.

I would recommend praying this pray during those times.

:gopray2: Jesus, I surrender. :gopray2:
:gopray2: Jesus, I love You. :gopray2:
:gopray2: Jesus, I trust in You. :gopray2:

Counter the doubt immediate with an act of trust in God.

La Chiara:
If you can’t switch it off, then you might consider cognitive therapy, a method of psychology that helps you better control your thoughts.
Not to worry La Chiara 👍

This was just a little late night pondering of things that probably can’t be pondered. No more burritos for dinner . . .

T.A.Stobie:
Counter the doubt immediate with an act of trust in God.
Thanks T.A., very good advice as usual. Funny, this is the second time today I heard this same message: from you and from my priest at morning mass.

I’m coming up on the 2 year anniversary of an event that prompted a dramatic deepening of my faith . . . pretty much changed my life. The message of that event was essentially the prayer you posted: the necessity of surrendering our will to God.

I guess all of this is very much on my mind right now.

Satain’s job is to plant doubt. As you stated:
"a neurosurgeon describing his belief "
We all have to believe in something, I will choose God over a nerosergeon
His basic arguement was this: death is a time of intense activity within the brain. As the body dies, neurons fire rapidly and indiscriminately creating all sorts of “sensations” that we, as Christians, would think of as God and heaven. These sensations include all the things you hear about near death experiences in the popular press: life passing before your eyes, walking into the light, the feeling of the soul leaving the body, a deep sense of peace and joy . . . the beatific vision.
Maybe this is the way the body releases the spirit to return to heaven
Then why on earth would I be up all night worring about what this doctor thinks in the light of what I’ve come to “know” from my own experience?
Because you are a thinker.

Here is one for you:
WHAT IF our time here on earth is actually our purgatory? We suffer here on earth in order to obtain the Kingdome of God.

40.png
dhgray:
Maybe this is the way the body releases the spirit to return to heaven
Had this same thought myself. This doctor describes in “natural” terms what is really a “super-natural” event.
40.png
dhgray:
Here is one for you:
WHAT IF our time here on earth is actually our purgatory? We suffer here on earth in order to obtain the Kingdome of God.
Please, one doubt at a time! 😃

I would say it’s perfecty normal to have doubts, perfectly normal to question things and think about them. There is so much secular material that would damn faith as nothing more than fanciful that we feel sometimes outweighed by this material, faith in God is a struggle and always will be, but we maintain our faith because as you have said something within us KNOWS there is God. On the other hand this neurosurgeon’s observations could equally be used to argue for the existance of God, that this increased brain activity is due to the end of life and seeing one’s life before them, that we do go towards the light of God and then when we are taken by God, there is nothing of our earthly brain functioning, to me that makes perfect sense. We are no longer living in this life but then living in the second that cannot be measured by neurosurgeons!! 🙂

The pull is always there to take you from your resolves in Christ Jesus, to draw you towards worldly things and take your eyes from focusing on Heaven however equally there is always the pull of faith in God as the Father draws your spirit to His. It amounts to trust. God bless you and much peace and love to you xxx

DBT,

Here’s another prayer/poem from St. Francis of Assisi you may want to use for prayer and meditation in times of doubt - you may want to start with the second sentence (“Focus yourself…”):

Stripped and Filled

**The sadness of not being perfect,
the discovery that you really are sinful,
is a feeling much too human, even borders on idolatry.
Focus your vision outside yourself on the beauty,
graciousness and compassion of Jesus Christ.
The pure of heart praise him from sunrise to sundown.
Even when they feel broken, feeble, distracted,
insecure and uncertain, they are able to release it into his peace.
A heart like that is stripped and filled—stripped
of self and filled with the fullness of God.
It is enough that Jesus is Lord.

–Francis of Assisi

This is not purgatory, this is the first life, there is no other life prior to this life, for this life to be purgatory it would then mean there had to be a life prior to that in which we committed sin and are now paying for it here on earth where indeed we still sin??? it doesn’t make sense, this is the world God created and there was no life before this world but that in Heaven. This IS the first life, purgatory is life after death where we are made pure enough to receive the Beatific Vision, this I truly believe. God Bless you xxx

Thank you for that prayer chaffa, I hope you don’t mind I have copied it into the Catholic prayer thread. God Bless you and much peace and love to you xx

40.png
DBT:
Ok, maybe this is just the sleepless ramblings of a man wrestling with spiritual thoughts that come back to haunt him from time to time . . .

There have periods in my life when I’ve known deep peace and tranquility in my soul. These times are invariably when I walk by faith, trusting in the Lord and all he has revealed to us. Other times, especially when there is some level of uncertainty in my life, trust seems to give way to “What-Ifs.” What begins with some worldly doubt (what if I lose this account, my son doesn’t make the team etc) sometimes leads to a sleepless night over the big one.

The big “what-if” for me has to do with death, heaven, time and eternity. A few years ago I read an article (long ago lost) by a neurosurgeon describing his belief based on his dealings with patients who had near death experiences. I don’t think he was a Christian . . . more likely he was an atheist or agnostic.

All of this to him takes place in just a few fleeting moments . . . the result of a body already in decay. Then, just like that, it’s over. Brain activity stops . . . the sensations cease . . . game over. Heaven is just a figment of our imagination, like your PC spitting out garbage as its hard drive fails.
We, as Catholics know that we are Body, Soul and Spirit. Why wouldnt the brain go crazy at death?? Thats when our spirit and soul are going into the hands of God. When we have a spiritual experience here on earth while we are alive, it will by necessity manifest itself into our physical being. You can doubt the things youre doubting, but not for this reason. The activity of the brain around death in no way proves anything either way. What I am saying is that his findings dont show us anything, they explain nothing and would fit into either explanation, he just chose the wrong one to believe.

I have had uncanny experiences. I will sometimes discuss a topic of faith with my family that may relate directly to a real situation at the time. It is not uncommon that the theme of the readings that day will address what I had been discussing. It has also occurred (at least twice) that the exact Scripture passages I was discussing were in the readings that week.

I can only conclude that these are not coincidences and that Catholicism is indeed the faith that unites us with God. Beneath the surface of our liturgy, God work mysteriously. The Catholic Church is the work of God, not man. That is why all humans and other Christians are to submit to the Catholic Church and allow God to begin their transformation in preparation for heaven. True faith will lead us to care very little for our lives on this earth except to do God’s will. St. Paul expressed that he was happy to stay or happy to go to heaven. If we all had his faith, this would be our attitude.

As St. Paul points out, the battle is not between humans but between principalities.

Trust the Pope and the magisterium. They will not lead you the wrong way. Their goal is your union with God.

Thank you Catholic Church! Never in my life on this earth have I experienced such as the Catholic Church because to experience true Catholicism is to experience Jesus.

Greg

40.png
Teresa9:
On the other hand this neurosurgeon’s observations could equally be used to argue for the existance of God, that this increased brain activity is due to the end of life and seeing one’s life before them, that we do go towards the light of God and then when we are taken by God, there is nothing of our earthly brain functioning, to me that makes perfect sense.
Good point, thank you.

40.png
Teresa9:
This is not purgatory, this is the first life, there is no other life prior to this life, for this life to be purgatory it would then mean there had to be a life prior to that in which we committed sin and are now paying for it here on earth where indeed we still sin??? it doesn’t make sense, this is the world God created and there was no life before this world but that in Heaven. This IS the first life, purgatory is life after death where we are made pure enough to receive the Beatific Vision, this I truly believe. God Bless you xxx
I SAID, “WHAT IF …” 😃

😃 What if the moon is made of cheese…we know it isn’t …I just don’t want you to be worrying over these things, not the cheese or the moon 😃 but over purgatory or hell or heaven, because dear friend, you are precious to God you are His child, if you love Him and try with all your heart mind and spirit, you will be given the benefit of His infinite love and you will have this when you stand before Christ Jesus on the day of your death. Worry little, love much friend God Bless you xxx

http://www.catholic-forum.com/saints/saintt02.jpg

Oh! how I love Thee, Jesus! my soul aspires to Thee -
And yet for one day only my simple prayer I pray!
Come reign within my heart, smile
tenderly on me,

Today, dear Lord, today.

But if I dare take thought of what the morrow brings -
That fills my fickle heart with dreary, dull dismay;
I crave, indeed, my God, trials and sufferings,

But only for today!

O sweetest Star of heaven!
O Virgin, spotless, blest,
Shining with Jesus’ light, guiding to Him my way!
O Mother! 'neath thy veil let my tired spirit rest,

For this brief passing day!

Soon shall I fly afar among the holy choirs,
Then shall be mine the joy that never knows decay;
And then my lips shall sing, to heaven’s angelic lyres,

The eternal, glad today!

This prayer may help you to remain in the day you live and love God in the day you are in, it has helped me so much to do that. It made me realise all we do have is today, yesterday is lost and tommorrow may or may not come, at God’s will . God bless you and much much love and peace to you xxx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back