As someone who was brought up in a
very anti-Catholic denomination and who is old enough to have watched this entire sex-abuse scandal unfold and has willfully chosen the Catholic faith, I have a different point of view about priests. In my protestant faith, it was not uncommon for my family to be close on a social and friendly level with our clergy. In my world, Catholic priests were more than a little intimidating and even scary sometimes. It wasn’t because I believed they were holier or better (or evil) . It was because of what people said, how the media painted the church and priests, etc.
Yet, here I am. In the middle of my journey to be received into full communion with the Catholic Church.
Why? Because I see how the media incites people into believing anything to further an agenda of someone or something. Usually money and politics. The rise in child abductions, shootings, war, sex abuse scandals - all of it. Do those things happen? Absolutely! But does it mean that it’s worse than ever? That it’s some sudden scandal of apocalyptic proportion that, until now, was able to be “covered up” until the benevolent and merciful media put some sunshine on it and “exposed” priests and the Catholic Church for what it **really is?
Nope. There are pedophiles in every profession and organization on the planet. There are predators and bad people everywhere. But not for a second do I think that anyone should ever judge an entire group, be it priests, teachers or dads on reporting that is disingenuous at best, criminal at worst. I personally have a great deal of respect for the men I’ve met during my Catholic journey. I think they are very intelligent, dedicated and honorable men who have chosen to listen to God calling them into serving Him and loving in a most glorious and magnificent way. Not to mention devoted. But they are still human and make human mistakes. The difference is, it matters enough to them to humbly admit and correct the problem (usually). There are just as many teachers who abuse children but they are quickly and quietly moved or put on leave with full pay. Most people still say they are “noble” for doing a job they chose freely and are paid well to do with little chance of being fired. And it is blasphemous to say anything bad about a teacher. But priests, apparently, are fair game. Because people don’t like to be reminded that God is who has dominion over this world, this universe. Bigotry against the Catholic Church is the only “acceptable” intolerance remaining. It’s not just accepted, but encourage. And it’s
wrong.
*mind your step when exiting the soapbox *