Huiou Theou, that was an excellent post, and I will be sure to bring those points up the next time I respond to him. Puzzleannie, thank you for the advice. I will admit, I have been put on the defensive several times.

Now it’s my turn to bring the pressure
Jesus Christ clearly disagrees: READ John 3:5, and …
John.3: 5 "Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God”.
Mark.1: 4 "John the baptizer appeared in the wilderness, preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins. "
God Bless,
Pat
Luke.3: 3 “and he went into all the region about the Jordan, preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins”
Ahh, and I’ve used this on him before, too.

Here was his response to what I said (same format as before; quoted words mine, normal words his)
Yes, it is the Holy Spirit that we are baptized into. Or, more correctly, the Father, Son and Holy Spirit (Matthew 28:19) However, the exact form of the baptism involves water; that’s just the way things work. Also, the Apostles were able to baptize, as Scripture plainly attests. Or, did the Apostles never baptize anyone? Moreover, why does Jesus tell the Apostles to baptize people, if they can’t even baptize to begin with?
Indeed, the Apostles did give people the Holy Spirit…because God gave them that ability. It’s not like they were going around giving them part of their own Spirit, God used them to bring Salvation to the people who he chose to be saved. But it was still God saving them.
And, No, the exact form of baptism where you receive Salvation has NOTHING to do with water. At least…not the water most associate it with. And I’m glad you brought up Acts, because this is where God hammers home the point. We read in Acts 1:5
For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence.
John even says that himself in the Gospel of John. Right here God differentiates between water baptism and being baptized with the Holy Ghost. The water baptism of John had no cleansing value in itself, which as we know from the Bible, is what being “baptized” really is. The washing away of our sins. Do you think any person who has not been water baptised cannot be saved or something ? When we read things like Mark 16:16:
He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
And Acts 2:38
Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
We must understand that water baptism is not in view. It can only be the baptism (the washing) which we experience as Jesus had our sins, which had been placed on Him, washed away. Only when God applies this washing to our lives are we saved. Now, something you might bring up are verses like this from John 3:5
Verily, verily, I say unto three, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
The water refers to the cleansing accomplished by Jesus on the cross which is the Gospel. The Holy Spirit indicates the cleansing is to be applied to our lives by the Holy Spirit. Both of these actions are required in order for a man to be saved.
Ezekiel used language similar to Jesus in John 3. We read in Ezekiel 36:25-27:
Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you. A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.
God ties the gift of the Holy Spirit, the cleansing from sins, and the sprinkling with water together as one great promise. Jesus cleansed us. The Holy Spirit applied the cleansing by giving us a new heart, by making us born again.
So we are baptized into one body by the action of the Holy Spirit. I Corinthians 12:13:
For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.
Not water. Water is just…water. It doesn’t do anything for us. God doesn’t need to use water to give us the Holy Spirit.