Dental cosmetics

  • Thread starter Thread starter sirius25
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sirius25

Guest
Hi all!

I just want to ask your opinion on whether seeking to improve your teeth’s appearance is a sin or not? I think it’s vanity but I sometimes get conscious with the way my teeth looks. It’s not that bad, I’m just too critical. They are overjet.
 
No.

Perhaps you should talk to your priest, this sounds rather scrupulous.
 
Improving the appearance of teeth by straightening or repairing some misalignment (if this is your concern) is not only good for your self esteem, but it can be good for your overall health. If one is not chewing or eating properly, it can lead to digestive issues. If teeth are difficult to clean because they are on top of each other or otherwise misaligned, it can cause decay and disease.

It’s called taking care of ourselves so we are pleasing to others, pleasing to ourselves, and with a happy heart - pleasing to God. He wants us to take care of the body He gave us.

~Liza
 
I have a beautiful 10 year old granddaughter–she really is physically beautiful. Unfortunately, when her permanent teeth came in they were huge, overlapping, she has a severe overbite and her looks are ruined. There is no way her parents are going to let this child go through life like this. She is receiving extensive and expensive orthodontic treatment now. This is not about vanity–it is about correcting a deformity and correct speech and health and her future.
 
Honestly, I think it depends. If you’re going bankrupt paying for dental veneers that you don’t really need, but just to get that perfect Hollywood smile…

But of course if it impacts your health (cavities, digestion, jaw pain) or results in severe asymmetry/deformity, etc., go for it.

I don’t think you, personally, would be doing anything wrong by doing it, but everyone is going to have physical imperfections, and there’s nothing wrong with that. Other people don’t care or notice as much as you think they do. I guess I will always be more conservative as to this issue than most.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top